British Speedway Forum
Allan S

My Boy Is Foaming At The Mouth To Get Started

Hello All

My name is Allan from Kent, my boy is real keen to get racing, he has been riding motocross bikes from the age of 4, he is now 11 and wants to race I asked him what he wanted to-do without hesitation he said speedway.....bonus I love speedway. I think watching woffy has helped make up his mind.

what's the best way to get started,,, what size bike and where is the best place to get one.

I'm sure I will have many more question so i will keep this short.

Many thanks Allan and Alfie(11)

Hi checkout the GP website for training schools but ones near you are.. Hagon shocks academy , Rye House, then theres buxton and Wayne Carter at Scunthorpe. From experience if your a novice then Scunthorpe offer all equipment and brilliant instruction on a mini track.. I think Buxton do something similar, the others offer tuition and maybe hire 500cc bikes but not so hands on with instruction.. Just depends what standard he is... Motor cross will probably have helped but different technique for speedway.

As for getting a bike then... On here, eBay or the speedway selling site on Facebook.

Hope that helps.

The Andy Meredith Speedway Academy provides a high level of 1:1 tuition for all ages and abilities. All sizes of bikes and kit can be provided. Groups are kept small to ensure maximum track time. We have dates at Buxton and Scunthorpe available. Our students can purchase bikes from us so we know that they are reliable. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Heather12

Closest to you are Rye House, Sittingbourne and Lydd. I have no idea about Lydd as never been there, Sittingbourne is a nice little set up, I think contacting clutchplate on here will get you all the info for that one or they have a website. Rye House is the one I have most experience of and I have seen that Andrew Silver is keen and willing to help young kids. You can get Andrew or Mia on 07821660695 for more information. Be worth a trip to Rye at the end of the month when they have the kids there, saw a couple of them practicing last week and they looked very promising. The final round of the youth championship is at Sittingbourne on 22nd September as well so another local meeting worth a look and I am sure the people at these meetings can fill you in on the finer details if you decide to get into Speedway properly.

There's loads of cheap junior bikes around at the minute, i'd look at buying or renting a 125 with tracktime and see where it goes from there.

Scunthorpe small track is decent and the youth equipment is cheap enough.

Jan O'Pedersen is running one tomorrow at Leicester, think you need own equipment though... Worth noting for future reference..