British Speedway Forum

Just read the last three pages or so of these posts and the general feeling is always the same, no one "really" likes the play offs but simply accept that we,re stuck with them as a fairer solution cannot seem to be sourced that's acceptable to the majority?

League Champions are the team that finishes "TOP" over the course of the "whole" season and are there on merit, until a system comes in that removes all reference to a competition that basically undermines a teams season long effort's by forcing them effectively to "justify" their position as top dog then this argument will just keep on going? :blink:

the play offs are good for keeping it going to the end but unfair for teams who perform all season and then have problems once they get to the play offs like newcastle last year

league champions should be the ones who are best over the full season

not 3 home and away matches at the end

Look at the table now how exciting that is with top 4 as it stands...........but its meaningless now unless your top or 6th...what a waste last matches worky v ed newc v ips somerset v ippo could have been great climax especially with their own riders and not force this bollocks through because of the play offs.

... and to top it all, they didn't even have to outright win their playoff group, thanks to the Edinburgh v Worky rain off. "League" champions - yeah right!

Would it help for the league champions to get a buy into the PO final then 2 - 7 go through a qualifying system for the other spot? That would also solve the Leicester / Redcar problem. I'm sure the top of the league clubs aren't looking forward to the PO's either as everything is won and lost on the toss of a coin really. How many top of the league teams have actually gone on to win the PO's anyway?

Would it help for the league champions to get a buy into the PO final then 2 - 7 go through a qualifying system for the other spot? That would also solve the Leicester / Redcar problem . I'm sure the top of the league clubs aren't looking forward to the PO's either as everything is won and lost on the toss of a coin really. How many top of the league teams have actually gone on to win the PO's anyway?

There isn't a Leicester/Redcar problem - on the date set by BSPA to determine qualifiers for the play offs, Redcar are in 6th place, by virtue of the criteria set by BSPA to determine teams level on league points. Granted the outstanding fixture is not ideal, but it isn't a problem!
  • Like 5

There isn't a Leicester/Redcar problem - on the date set by BSPA to determine qualifiers for the play offs, Redcar are in 6th place, by virtue of the criteria set by BSPA to determine teams level on league points. Granted the outstanding fixture is not ideal, but it isn't a problem!

Yep I have put money on a Bear thinking that.

Funny how it's only Bears coming out to defend it. You didn't actually get there fair and square though 1 meeting outstanding and 1 point awarded ummmmm!!!!!

Edited by TMW

Funny how it's only Bears coming out to defend it. You didn't actually get there fair and square though 1 meeting outstanding and 1 point awarded ummmmm!!!!!

As I said before Leicester seem to think Redcar wouldn't have qualified against Rye House, I think they would have easily qualified. It was Edinburgh fielded an illegal team and we still beat them, when the r/r points were taken off then we got the extra point. Rules is rules, we've been on the wrong end of rules plenty of times, one just has to live with it.

You probably will be cynical and not believe me, but I would say the same thing if you reversed the teams and Leicester had qualified. As I said it's not ideal, but it is what it is - totally fair & square - Edinburgh had points taken off them and Rye House called fixtures off so get over it and move on.

Nothing to defend, but those posters pointing this out aswell appear to include amongst others Newcastle and Edinburgh - or did you mean northern clubs not just Bears!!

You probably will be cynical and not believe me, but I would say the same thing if you reversed the teams and Leicester had qualified. As I said it's not ideal, but it is what it is - totally fair & square - Edinburgh had points taken off them and Rye House called fixtures off so get over it and move on.

I had actually moved on until other posters had continued :t:

I had actually moved on until other posters had continued :t:

Good, don't do any more u turns ;) and don't laugh too loudly when we get totally tanked by the other two teams in the play offs :cry:
  • Like 2

Would it help for the league champions to get a buy into the PO final then 2 - 7 go through a qualifying system for the other spot

Why not add the other half of the league in as well? Top 6 is too easy to qualify for, should be top 4 only.

There isn't a Leicester/Redcar problem

Agreed.

I support Newcastle - I HATE the 'Play Offs' - but , by the Rules as they stand Redcar ARE 6th. No arguments can change that. Just as I have to live with the 'Play Offs' - you will have to accept that you are out of them.

Tough - but that is a FACT.

Of course:

NO STUPID PLAY OFFS - NO STUPID ARGUMENTS LIKE THIS!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Another playoff being champions issue with not all meetings being finished, although Bears should have got there anyway but its the principle for Lions. The negatives just outweigth the so called positives, and damage sports credibility even more. Also still think playoffs should be separate for the few positves it provides, although probably just mess it up like young shield, promotion/relagation attempt. They dont even know what to do with league cup as it changes all the time never mind how to handle playoffs.

Leicester / Redcar one club has completed all fixtures the other hasn't . Regardless of the points difference . It will be interesting to see the ruling on this from the BSPA.

• Like 1