British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lionking

Leicester Vs Rye House 11/8

Crowd looked pretty good tonight. Unfortunately they had to put up with a fairly inept gating display from the Lions on a track that absolutely needed gating on. They also had to put up with inexorable delays brought on by the sun, watering, grading, riders having two rides in a row, crashes and probably a couple of reasons i cant remember. Couldn't hang about for the final heat as i was already over half an hour late in meeting a friend down the pub but for the first time ever it didn't bother me as i'd watched one pass in fourteen heats and i'd ran out of speedway conversation having moaned the life out of the delays by heat 7. And as much as i like talking about how Kevin Doolan and James Sargeant nearly overtook someone nearly is not a pass is it..

To sum up the issues we had a 15 minute sun off. We had a rider sent out to check sun wasn't a problem about 5 minutes after the sun had completely disappeared from the track. Then after he returned with his verdict we had a 10 minute break while the the track staff returned to their positions. It's just wrong. That is not the correct order for these things to happen!. I'm not mentioning the tractors then going out about 2 heats later.. sorry, i just did.

I didn't enjoy this meeting but I think you were exagerating about the sun break. Yes we had a 15 minute break but the sun was still dazzling us near the 2nd bend when Magnus and his counterpart went out to check the light. Also Sergeant was passed by Aspergren and then he repassed him and was then repassed by Aspergren. This was the best race of the night. The only other "genuine" pass that I recall was by Bjerre in heat 6.

The only other "genuine" pass that I recall was by Bjerre in heat 6.

Karlsson round Grajczonek on bend 4 lap 1 in heat 15

I'm back in a couple of weeks with the Bandits Gemini.....

Lucky you - I'm banned. :neutral: Other half reckons it's too expensive for me to go to Coventry and Leicester as well. Was quite getting into it too as the last 3 meetings were pretty good (Somerset, Newcastle and Sheffield) so I had to miss the Scunthorpe one last week and of course Rye House this week, although he didn't manage to get through the football traffic anyway so he came home. Shame. :D

• Like 1

I don't suppose the management were aware that Nieminen was going to crash in heat 3 and injure his shoulder. If only they had some form of time machine to see into the future. Total oversight by the management again.

Ha ha! Like it!

However, I was actually referring to Nemo's capability since his knee injury, up to his accident on Sunday. It's been pretty obvious he's severely limited, even with the knee brace - clearly can't take much if any weight/pressure on his left leg - not too bad on larger tracks but not at places like Beaumont Park where he's had to try a different riding style - one which he is obviously finding difficult. Full marks to the guy for trying, and for the club in standing by him, but there is a limit to how much of a drop in contribution can be worth trying to carry on, isn't there?

I have a feeling that may have been Kaukos last match this season as already pulled out of Redcar on Thursday and expect team change to replace him so that he can get fit again as his injured knee is clearly causing him problems still and then dislocates his shoulder again.

The next question is do you use a point from Edberg average to sign a better replacement for Kauko or keep using guests for Alex and replace Kauko up to his average. I know others were asking about Mr Darcy he was not there last night so may have been something in last weeks reports of promotion fall outs.

Would Lubos Tomicek fit in place of Alex?

Tomicek sticks in my mind for either being far better at BP than his average would have suggested or he may have stuck in my mind as being one of the worst riders i have seen at BP. One or the other and i just can't place it.

I don't think you've been on BSF because we've also done the the reasonable suggestions of what needs to be done. We've been making reasonable suggestions since april 2011 if i remember rightly, much to the annoyance of the 'Hitler youth' and some friends oop north. Most suggestions involve shortening the straights by a decent amount and the apexs as well but by a smaller amount (whichi would guess would also allow the track to be prepared differently). General consenus is the cost of this is between 3k for altering one end (which would do the same job) and 6k-7k for both (or if you listen to David Hemsley, 1 million including the resiting of the stands!). Finances would not appear to have been a problem as offers have been made to the promotion previously to cover this cost (not the mil mind) though i think we've moved on too far for some since this was mentioned. Instransigence unfortunately appears to be the main stumbling block.

The other option would be buying Nick Morris though i'm not sure that would be cheaper and it also doesn't have the long term benefits!

Mick.

Your right I am new to the forum though I did look through a few posts to see what suggestions had been made and good to see a couple have appeared re shortening the straights which appear sensiible suggestions. Seems logical to adjust both ends of the straights to avoid the need to reposition the starting gates and avoid making the stands on both sides off centre but I would question 6 to 7 k to do both seems way too little unless the assumption is labour is free and materials are donated, what is the basis of this type of costing?

One final question (as a newbie) does anyone know who advised the promoters on the size and shape of the track from the outset? I have seen DH on many occasions acknowledge various promoters and suchlike (Len Silver in last nights programme) for their help and advice so I think it highly unlikely he alone decided this most fundamental aspect of bringing speedway back to Leicester.

Regarding Doolan celebrating after heat 15. He said on Twitter he was told a 5-1 would win the meeting!

I can forgive him if that's the case, but you have to wonder about what's going with the management/riders if they can't even get the score right!

Glynn stated that he felt sorry for Bjere because he could not prepare a track fit for him to ride on due to the lack of track equipment [tractor]. He also said it was time for changes!! [ a bit late in my opinion?]. Do not moan about Albin, if you think back, he rode very well on a wet track, 3. 1*. 1*. 3. 0. 0. as you can see as the track dried out he failed to score. As for the sun, well I guess its about time people got used to it, it is never going to fall out the sky now is it! What happened to tinted goggles?? I am not defending David or Glynn, as I think they have made bad decisions over and over. But it just makes me laugh at some of the things they get the blame for.

• Like 1

Long Eye - I'm referring to the matches Kauko rode in following his knee injury up until his unfortunate spill on Sunday. Even after his knee brace was fitted, he's been severely limited and especially so on tighter cornered tracks (like BP!) where he's clearly unable to put any significant weight or pressure on his left leg, so he tries to do an Alex Edberg impersonation (a fit version of Alex, I should say!) but gets in a pickle and loses too much control of the bike. I have nothing but respect for Kauko for trying, but I question the decision-making.

Leicester pinned their remaining hopes of getting into the playoffs (already thin - despite the "talking-up" by the promotion) on Kauko and Edberg being able to overcome their injuries, return and score well. That just didn't happen, and as far as the rest of this season's concerned, and making changes, the words horse, stable door, shut and bolted come to mind. Trying to find replacements is doubtful, unless we're looking ahead to 2014, but we don't know if there will be a Premier League next year!

Where guests can be effective, is when a team develops its own "regular" guest because he pretty much becomes part of the team. But it's too late now to do that, i suppose, so looks like we are left to keep on muddling through. As someone else has said on here, it's just been a series of poor decisions this season.

If i can finish on a positive, though, Kev Doolan has been brilliant - he gives it a go no matter what the track's like, rides just about every day somewhere (or so it seems) and keeps everybody's spirits up. Good on yer, Aussie!

Glynn stated that he felt sorry for Bjere because he could not prepare a track fit for him to ride on due to the lack of track equipment [tractor]..........

But it just makes me laugh at some of the things they get the blame for.

I agree, track curator producing crap track because he's turned up to work to find inadequate or no equipment ( and not for the first time lately).... Hilarious some of the things David Hemsley gets blamed for!

As for the sun, well I guess its about time people got used to it, it is never going to fall out the sky now is it!

my point is why all the staff, riders etc weren't in place to get going again the moment the sun wasn't a problem. If we are going to have enforced breaks at least make sure it all systems go when the break is over. watching from the sidelines it all had an 'in your own time' feel to it i'm afraid.

Mick.

Edited by volty

Glynn stated that he felt sorry for Bjere because he could not prepare a track fit for him to ride on due to the lack of track equipment [tractor]. He also said it was time for changes!! [ a bit late in my opinion?]. Do not moan about Albin, if you think back, he rode very well on a wet track, 3. 1*. 1*. 3. 0. 0. as you can see as the track dried out he failed to score. As for the sun, well I guess its about time people got used to it, it is never going to fall out the sky now is it! What happened to tinted goggles?? I am not defending David or Glynn, as I think they have made bad decisions over and over. But it just makes me laugh at some of the things they get the blame for.

To state the obvious, had the track been prepared better to suit Bjere then the Rockets riders would have benefitted too. As I saw it, the track changed during the meeting through the racing but Bjere’s contribution didn’t greatly improve. I’m not getting at the lad has clearly you don’t get to be a team’s no.1 by being rubbish with he is far from being. But maybe his riding needs to improve so that he can adapt to less than perfect track conditions & maybe, just maybe the promoters can be spared a little from being blamed for everything that is less than perfect.