British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Sgp/bsi And Sec/one Sport It Is War Now

It's the old UEM based in Italy though isn't it, whereas the FIM proper is in Switzerland. It seems the whole UEM speedway programme was something to make the UEM look important, because with sp much world-level motorcycle sport already based in Europe, the rationale for its creation was not entirely clear.

Maybe it's just one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

Sounds like the UEM works as well as the BSPA.

It can only be GOOD for Speedway that the SEC is screened LIVE on Eurosport and has a audience of 5,5 - 7 million peoples watching each round.

The interest by common people will raise maybe not this year but say in 3 years if the SEC continues with Eursport.

Does Speedway in general even has a vision for five year ahead and a goal?

To make the sport cheapier - generally, and rules that are hard to understand for common people.

It can only be GOOD for Speedway that the SEC is screened LIVE on Eurosport and has a audience of 5,5 - 7 million peoples watching each round.

The interest by common people will raise maybe not this year but say in 3 years if the SEC continues with Eursport.

Does Speedway in general even has a vision for five year ahead and a goal?

To make the sport cheapier - generally, and rules that are hard to understand for common people.

Why not just have 4 more GPs and show them on tele like they do the others?

Why not just have 4 more GPs and show them on tele like they do the others?

Because it is a different Championship organised by different people.

Most Sports do have European Championships that are distinct from World Championships.

Edited by Grand Central

Most Sports do have European Championships that are distinct from World Championships.

Not in the same year though, and the SGP is already primarily a European-based championship.

• Like 1

Not in the same year though, and the SGP is already primarily a European-based championship.

Quite true, but there aren't any years when the SGP isn't running ... so how would a Euro competition get a look in?

Most sports have a World Championship on a bi-annual rota (or longer) to start with

We don't.

Running four alternate weekends of SGP/SEC seems about right..

Edited by Grand Central

Quite true, but there aren't any years when the SGP isn't running ... so how would a Euro competition get a look in?

Rights issues aside, I simply don't see the point of having European Championships in speedway because nearly all the World Championship meetings are already held in Europe. If the powers-that-be wish re-introduce pairs competitions or whatever, that's fine but give them World status.

If there's a need for more GP-type meetings then hold more GP meetings (although I think there are already too many GPs), or come-up with some format involving more riders. Alternatively, maybe the European Championship could be pitched as some sort of challengers' series like the NASCAR Nationwide Series which also involves some drivers from the top tier.

Rights issues aside, I simply don't see the point of having European Championships in speedway because nearly all the World Championship meetings are already held in Europe. If the powers-that-be wish re-introduce pairs competitions or whatever, that's fine but give them World status.

If there's a need for more GP-type meetings then hold more GP meetings (although I think there are already too many GPs), or come-up with some format involving more riders. Alternatively, maybe the European Championship could be pitched as some sort of challengers' series like the NASCAR Nationwide Series which also involves some drivers from the top tier.

OK fair enough.

I see your position.

But actually I like the look of it now it has started.

I have to say pairs events just leave me stone-cold and whatever status you give them they have zero appeal to me.

And a qualifying series with sub-GP riders ... not so sure I would be too interested in that either.

Can't actually see anything wrong with this.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

I have to say pairs events just leave me stone-cold and whatever status you give them they have zero appeal to me.

Each to their own, although I find individual meetings pretty one dimensional after a while.

The World Pairs used to be one of the interesting events in the calendar, and it's a shame the thing that was staged this year was such a pale shadow of what was once a prestigious title. The SWC also needs a rethink as seeding such a weak host to the Final is just farcical.

Whilst World Championship level competitions are not in an especially healthy state, it would appear absurd to introduce further distractions at European level. Of course, it may be that change of promoter is needed to rejuvenate matters, but that's another matter and perhaps there's now some regret that the SGP/SWC rights were signed away for so many years.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

and it's a shame the thing that was staged this year was such a pale shadow of what was once a prestigious title.

For a one off meeting organized by a promoter and getting it on Eurosport I thought the Eurosport Best Pairs was a decent effort. It had nothing to do with European Championships or FIM championships. It was just like the Scottish Open, only it was done in Torun, with pairs and was on live TV. Edited by f-s-p

For a one off meeting organized by a promoter and getting it on Eurosport I thought the Eurosport Best Pairs was a decent effort.

Appreciate that, but it seemed to masquerade a bit as an official championship, and of course there's the 'official' European Pairs as well just to confuse matters. To me, if there's interest in having international best pairs competitions, then I don't see why they just don't revive the World Pairs (with proper teams) which always seemed to be a popular competition in the past.

I also think it's interesting that SEC managed to stage a Russian round, and it's apparently cost effective to do so. Something that has seemingly been beyond the SGP until now...

Anyway, I'm sure we can expect the issues between IMG/BSI and SEC to be fully explored in a forthcoming issue of the World's Leading Speedway Magazine... ;)

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Each to their own, although I find individual meetings pretty one dimensional after a while.

The World Pairs used to be one of the interesting events in the calendar, and it's a shame the thing that was staged this year was such a pale shadow of what was once a prestigious title. The SWC also needs a rethink as seeding such a weak host to the Final is just farcical.

Whilst World Championship level competitions are not in an especially healthy state, it would appear absurd to introduce further distractions at European level. Of course, it may be that change of promoter is needed to rejuvenate matters, but that's another matter and perhaps there's now some regret that the SGP/SWC rights were signed away for so many years.

As you say, we each have our own preferences.

And mine would be for this years's set up of SEC and SGP running side by side.

Especially if it is run by a different company AND allows access to territory that seemed out of bounds to BSI.

With All the world to choose from BSI can take us anywhere so there must be room for four weekends across Europe for the SEC.

On the issue of pairs meetings.

One of my favourite meetings of the long distant past remains the 1977 World Pairs Final at Belle Vue so I am not blinkered against them.

The race where Ivan kept both Collins and Simmons at bay for four laps at Hyde Road was a memory that will last forever.

But seriously how many World Pairs meetings in the next twenty years they were running can you remember well or even slightly fondly?

Matters were never helped with the six-man race formula that came in or the hideously irritating 4-3-2-0 scoring farce that seems all the rage whenever Pairs racing is now staged.

And the use of reserves which makes a pair into a threesome, is even more loathsome.

I accept that a World Pairs may seem a reasonable competition to have on alternate years to a bi-annual World Cup for BSI's purposes but please lets not have anything more than one meeting every couple of years in the summer break.

And stick to 3-2-1-0 scoring over the 21 heat formula if we must.

Edited by Grand Central

The german commentators from Eurosport said that the people in charge are very pleased with the way speedway is being accepted on telly and they want to plan more coverages for 2014.

sounds like a good sign but i hope its true what they told us!

It was nice to see a large Latvian crowd, i do wonder if the increased exposure of the sport via Eurosport instead of Sky is a factor in good overseas crowds recently that i see on TV and online. There have been some very good attendances despite the presence of TV cameras in the various leagues too.

The fact that there are several repeat showings on Eurosport means there is more chance of non-speedway fans catching sight of the sport, as on a Saturday most will be watching their own sports big events and would never glimpse the speedway.

The german commentators from Eurosport said that the people in charge are very pleased with the way speedway is being accepted on telly and they want to plan more coverages for 2014.

sounds like a good sign but i hope its true what they told us!

Please do keep us up to date on any developments or snippets of news.

News from today...

http://speedwayeuro.com/news/n/105/sec-2014-in-germany-.html

There will be defo a SEC Round next year in Germany, so far nobody knows where it will be held but i think i will find out soon!

"Great numbers of Eurosport TV transmissions watchers behind the West border shows us how huge potential speedway have there. - When we decided to show SEC on Eurosport we knew that we could count on really good watchin' level in Poland. But the numbers of watchers we had in Germany (especially from round in Togliatti) were more than surprising. All of that shows how great potential speedway have on that market and we are all happy that SEC will be on the German ground next year - Adam Wiktorski from Eurosport Poland adds."