British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Kent Kings V Dudley Heathens 26th Aug **3pm Start**

So Steve Boxall guests for the Heathens on Sunday @ Buxton.Next day rides against the Heathens ??? Only in Speedway,no wonder the sport is not taken seriously.

You have so to speak hit the nail on the head. Steve Boxall in action for Dudley Heathens helping to keep alive their NL championship hopes at Buxton. On Monday he rides for his own club Kent Kings helping to dent Heathens' championship hopes. A classic speedway scenario - it couldn't happen in any other sport.

Sadly, you cannot really take speedway seriously any more. :icon_smile_clown:

You have so to speak hit the nail on the head. Steve Boxall in action for Dudley Heathens helping to keep alive their NL championship hopes at Buxton. On Monday he rides for his own club Kent Kings helping to dent Heathens' championship hopes. A classic speedway scenario - it couldn't happen in any other sport.

Sadly, you cannot really take speedway seriously any more. :icon_smile_clown:

So 'gustix' what do you suggest? Steve Boxall turns down the chance of an extra money earning opportunity? Would you subsidise i.e. pay what he'd potentially miss out on by turning such an opportunity down? :rolleyes: Or what would you put forward as an alternative to the use of guests to replace injured NL number 1s or when a team has two or more of their top five out of action? :blink:

I agree it's a problem, how else to cope with missing heat leaders, but it would be good if we could dispense with Guests... We DID manage for a number of years in the third tier (Conference League then...) without them and I can't recall civilisation as we know it crumbling to the ground!

Certainly VERY difficult (indeed impossible, so I wouldn't try!) to explain to a newcomer to the sport how a rider can be a stand in number one on one day for a side he rides against the next day!!

So 'gustix' what do you suggest? Steve Boxall turns down the chance of an extra money earning opportunity? Would you subsidise i.e. pay what he'd potentially miss out on by turning such an opportunity down? :rolleyes: Or what would you put forward as an alternative to the use of guests to replace injured NL number 1s or when a team has two or more of their top five out of action? :blink:

No,it is not about Steve`s extra earnings opportunity.It is the BONKERS situation when one day he is doing his best to gain League points for Dudley and the next day trying to stop Dudley getting any points.Just again shows riding for more than one team that have fixtures on the same day is wrong.D/U causes too many problems.

But unfortunately the position regarding your posting Parsnips old fruit, is that there's not exactly a plethora of riders currently without team places of a suitable standard to be on standby as it were ready, willing AND most importantly able to step into team places overnight is there?

No,it is not about Steve`s extra earnings opportunity.It is the BONKERS situation when one day he is doing his best to gain League points for Dudley and the next day trying to stop Dudley getting any points.Just again shows riding for more than one team that have fixtures on the same day is wrong.D/U causes too many problems.

I don't necessarily disagree BUT what would you suggest as an alternative in the current economic situation of both the country and the sport? We can all say "do away with guests," and/or "do away with double up riders" but not so easy to suggest and explain alternative strategies to them.

I agree it's a problem, how else to cope with missing heat leaders, but it would be good if we could dispense with Guests... We DID manage for a number of years in the third tier (Conference League then...) without them and I can't recall civilisation as we know it crumbling to the ground!

Certainly VERY difficult (indeed impossible, so I wouldn't try!) to explain to a newcomer to the sport how a rider can be a stand in number one on one day for a side he rides against the next day!!

Bryn - in my view A J King highlights the point I am trying to make. P1928 also seems to be thinking very much along the same lines. 'Nuff said! :lol:

Edited by Guest

[/color]

Bryn - in my view A J King highlights the point I am trying to make. P1928 also seems to be thinking very much along the same lines. 'Nuff said! :lol:

Its not only about earning a few quid extra, but also giving opportunities to these young kids to improve themselves, the only way they can do this is to ride against better riders, after all Blackie, Starkie and Ash, have all been riding reguarly for there respective PL Teams, and there is NO way we could cover all three riders, with RR if they had fixtures on the same day, and a 3 point unattached rider means tracking a weakened Team, and the possibility that a meeting would be lost, and 3 points, which may cost a Team long term, and so therefore penalise Young riders, and deny them the opportunity to earn silverware, just for trying to get on in the Sport. No for me 1 Guest is permissable plus RR, but a 3 point unattached rider for a Heat Leader, is totally unfair to everyone. I guess you could say it is the same for a 3 point unattached rider, in that he has an opportunity to improve himself, but by filling in for a Heat Leader ??.

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 1

Condemnations of the guest rule,, which we all know is not ideal, only make sense if you can come up with an alternative solution to the problem that is not going to produce badly weakened uncompetetive teams ,the fans will not turn up to see get slaughtered... Who has the answer ? i suggest no one has,,

• Like 2

Condemnations of the guest rule,, which we all know is not ideal, only make sense if you can come up with an alternative solution to the problem that is not going to produce badly weakened uncompetetive teams ,the fans will not turn up to see get slaughtered... Who has the answer ? i suggest no one has,,

I fully agree - nobody has answers to speedway's multi-problems. Depressing as it may be, over the years 'progress' has slowly rotted into the sport so much that there are no answers. All that can be done is for the sport's administrators to keep papering over the cracks as they appear. :cry:

If a NL team has riders doubling up with a PL team, then it would be better if 2 riders shared the position, ie Dudley

could have kept Tom Perry and shared a position with Ashley Morris, this would reduce the chances of a guest being needed.

Looking at the metings a couple of weeks ago in Speedway Star, there were 25 League matches ridden

across all 3 leagues, and only 1 meeting had 2 full teams with no guests or rider replacement.

That is only 4% of meetings, which is crazy.

If a NL team has riders doubling up with a PL team, then it would be better if 2 riders shared the position, ie Dudley

could have kept Tom Perry and shared a position with Ashley Morris, this would reduce the chances of a guest being needed.

Looking at the metings a couple of weeks ago in Speedway Star, there were 25 League matches ridden

across all 3 leagues, and only 1 meeting had 2 full teams with no guests or rider replacement.

That is only 4% of meetings, which is crazy.

On that basis Dudley would still have a problem because Perry is injured

Any update on the fitness of Steve Boxall for Monday's home match against Dudley Heathens? He was injured riding for IoW at Stoke on Saturday and had to miss a guest ride for Heathens at Buxton on Sunday. If Boxall is unfit, what cover is planned for him? :unsure:

Please Note all..

There will NOT be Sidecar Racing at Central Park in the second half on Monday.

This was an error in the last week's programme.

What! No sidecars! Will travel to Rye House then to see Berwick and the 125 kids. Thanks for the info Parsloes 1928 Nearly, are there planes to have sidecars anytime at Central Park [ideal day to have them as there wouldn't be time on a evening meeting] or did they, the sidecar people pull out?

I know not many people would go just to see the sidecars but I would have been very upset to arrive and find out "no sidecars!". When as you say Parsloes 1928 Nearly it was advertised in last weeks programme. Poor show in my view by the management.

'Advertised' is a rather grand word. It was one line in the Next Meeting box on page 9 of the prog. if that's what you call 'advertised' - and was there because it was at that time planned. Unfortunately (as if often the case across all tracks accross the sport) circumstances changed and sadly we can't stage sidecars. Of course we apologise but I think to call this a "poor show by manahgement" is a tad OTT...

Still no info on Steve Boxalls possible injuries does he ride monday or not, someone must know?