British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blazeaway

Kent Kings V Wimbledon, now 16/09/2013

As the topic suggests, I have heard a little whisper of a Challenge Match between The Dons and Kent. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I also heard a little whisper,all I can say. :D

As the topic suggests, I have heard a little whisper of a Challenge Match between The Dons and Kent. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I also heard a little whisper,all I can say. :D

Sounds a logical proposition. There is "a Wimbledon influence" at Central Park. :shock:

Interesting? What sort of team could be raised with Wimbledon links? I think that Wayne Barrett, Jason Prynne and Martin Williams while no longer involved with speedway still compete on grass tracks in the west country. However, would they be interested and do they still have speedway bikes? :lol:

Edited by Guest

Would be great to see some old Don faces.

Would be great to see some old Don faces.

Riders or fans? Or both?

Edited by Guest

The only open dates I can see in Kent Kings home fixtures where the possible match against Wimbledon might take place at the moment are Mondays August 12, September 9, September 16.

Edited by Guest

Rider could they get back buzz for one night only ?

Rider could they get back buzz for one night only ?

A nice thought to see 'Buzz' Burrows back on track again. But it's a while since he last raced. Would it be worth him making all the preparation and practicing for the meeting. And didn't I read that his bike had been stolen?

Edited by Guest

Yes its true 12th August at Central Park. More details to follow.

It would be great if they competed for the Cearns Trophy, or at least honoured the family name synonymous with both venues.

As things are at the moment, personally I am very supportive of seeing a Wimbledon team on the track for the first time since 2008 when they competed in a challenge match against Oxford at Reading (I hope I have that right). That team had a strong basis in its rider strength in regard to those who had previously worn the famous colours.

I know that it is now eight seasons since the sport sadly came to end at Plough Lane, but I would like to think that the team to be assembled for this forthcoming match at Kent Kings on August 12 will have as strong a link as possible to Wimbledon and not just be seven riders wearing Wimbledon race jackets who had no previous contacts to Plough Lane.

However, I also appreciate that there may not be any former Wimbledon riders available apart from now grass trackers Wayne Barrett, Jason Prynne and Martin Williams. But do they still have speedway bikes? Another name mentioned in some places for a one-off return is Mark 'Buzz' Burrows.

My notes show this was the 2008 Wimbledon team v Oxford - Mark Burrows, Terry Day, Tom Brown, Matt Wright, Jay Herne, Aaron Busby, Lee Strudwick.

It's early days at the moment, so for the time being let's give as much support as we can to this forthcoming taste of speedway nostalgia.

Edited by Guest

However, I also appreciate that there may not be any former Wimbledon riders available apart from now grass trackers Wayne Barrett, Jason Prynne and Martin Williams. But do they still have speedway bikes? Another name mentioned in some places for a one-off return is Mark 'Buzz' Burrows.

FYI, Wayne Barrett badly broke his collarbone grasstracking last weekend so would be a massive doubt even if he had've been interested.

FYI, Wayne Barrett badly broke his collarbone grasstracking last weekend so would be a massive doubt even if he had've been interested.

Thanks for the data on Wayne Barrett: as the saying goes - if the others I named Jason Prynne, Martin Wiliams and 'Buzz' Burrows are interested - it's one down with three EXTREME and probbably very doubtful possible ex-Dons left. How about Barrie Evans - does he still have a speedway bike - can he be tempted? Or maybe Nathan Irwin? :sad:

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the data on Wayne Barrett: as the saying goes - if the others I named Jason Prynne, Martin Wiliams and 'Buzz' Burrows are interested - it's one down with three EXTREME and probbably very doubtful possible ex-Dons left. How about Barrie Evans - does he still have a speedway bike - can he be tempted? Or maybe Nathan Irwin? :sad:

Barrie Evans sold all his equipment when he packed up at end of 2011.

That's sad news about the 'Master'. I wish Wayne a speedy recovery.