British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blazeaway

Kent Kings V Wimbledon, now 16/09/2013

Details on our website.

Note: The Dons body colours are being made especially for the event and they will be signed by all the riders and sold in the bar after the meeting.

As things are at the moment, personally I am very supportive of seeing a Wimbledon team on the track for the first time since 2008 when they competed in a challenge match against Oxford at Reading (I hope I have that right). That team had a strong basis in its rider strength in regard to those who had previously worn the famous colours.

I know that it is now eight seasons since the sport sadly came to end at Plough Lane, but I would like to think that the team to be assembled for this forthcoming match at Kent Kings on August 12 will have as strong a link as possible to Wimbledon and not just be seven riders wearing Wimbledon race jackets who had no previous contacts to Plough Lane.

However, I also appreciate that there may not be any former Wimbledon riders available apart from now grass trackers Wayne Barrett, Jason Prynne and Martin Williams. But do they still have speedway bikes? Another name mentioned in some places for a one-off return is Mark 'Buzz' Burrows.

My notes show this was the 2008 Wimbledon team v Oxford - Mark Burrows, Terry Day, Tom Brown, Matt Wright, Jay Herne, Aaron Busby, Lee Strudwick.

It's early days at the moment, so for the time being let's give as much support as we can to this forthcoming taste of speedway nostalgia.

But 'gustix' you're quote on the forum about a meeting I attended last Sunday was: - Well I just wonder why these club/team names are used like this - no actual link to the original clubs or the areas they represented. Will we soon be seeing Stamford Bridge versus High Beech in this type of racing?

I don't detract anything from those who participate in these meetings and wish them as organsiers and riders every success - but surely using old club names has no creditable value? So why does using the name Wimbledon (a team I've supported all my life) have any creditable value if the likes of Exeter etc don't?

snapback.pnggustix, on 25 July 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

As things are at the moment, personally I am very supportive of seeing a Wimbledon team on the track for the first time since 2008 when they competed in a challenge match against Oxford at Reading (I hope I have that right). That team had a strong basis in its rider strength in regard to those who had previously worn the famous colours.

I know that it is now eight seasons since the sport sadly came to end at Plough Lane, but I would like to think that the team to be assembled for this forthcoming match at Kent Kings on August 12 will have as strong a link as possible to Wimbledon and not just be seven riders wearing Wimbledon race jackets who had no previous contacts to Plough Lane.

However, I also appreciate that there may not be any former Wimbledon riders available apart from now grass trackers Wayne Barrett, Jason Prynne and Martin Williams. But do they still have speedway bikes? Another name mentioned in some places for a one-off return is Mark 'Buzz' Burrows.

My notes show this was the 2008 Wimbledon team v Oxford - Mark Burrows, Terry Day, Tom Brown, Matt Wright, Jay Herne, Aaron Busby, Lee Strudwick.

It's early days at the moment, so for the time being let's give as much support as we can to this forthcoming taste of speedway nostalgia.

But 'gustix' you're quote on the forum about a meeting I attended last Sunday was: - Well I just wonder why these club/team names are used like this - no actual link to the original clubs or the areas they represented. Will we soon be seeing Stamford Bridge versus High Beech in this type of racing?

I don't detract anything from those who participate in these meetings and wish them as organsiers and riders every success - but surely using old club names has no creditable value? So why does using the name Wimbledon (a team I've supported all my life) have any creditable value if the likes of Exeter etc don't?

I am supporting the venture AT THE MOMENT because I think it is going to have a creditable link with the old Wimbledon regime. So far I have not seen anything to the contrary.

But, if it's going to be "seven riders with no links to the old Plough Lane but just wearing their colours" (I see they will not wear the old race jackets or those last used by the touring Dons in 2008 but newly made ones) then using the Wimbledon name is, as in other instances regarding no longer functioning teams, a complete nonsense.

Edited by Guest

Look lay off please - actually there are very few riders indeed still actively riding Speedway who appeared for the Dons in the 2002-'05 period. But I can assure you that at least four of the team will be either riders who didindeed wear that most famous of race jackets in that CL period or rode regular 'second halves' at Plough Lane in that time. This is a good connection I'd respectfully suggest.

We also know that for the first time since very soon after closure in 2005 there are actually proper talks going on which COULD see the return to track of the Wimbledon club. There's a thread in the General section on this and I can assure you after speaking this week to one of the parties involved, this is a very real, ongoing prospect. Yes, a reasonably long way atm from becoming reality but there's something very positive happening. Other clubs that have returned/tracks reopened have often done so after sides using the name (but not necessarily ex-riders) have ridden challenge matches (egs are Scunthorpe, Weymouth, Rye House) so I really think instead of sniping and speculation there should be (for once in BSF history!) some positivity about this..

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Fully agree 'Parsloes 1928 nearly', and I will be travelling from my Norfolk home to support the Wimbledon side (sorry Kent fans!!). I understand what 'gustix' is saying, although I don't personally agree with him, and can only assume that if this meeting turns out to have no connections with the previous regime, then he won't be attending, which would be a shame. If he's a former 'Dons' fan as both you and I are, then I'd have thought he'd be delighted to see the famous name take to track once again. But despite whatever you tart a meeting up as, it shouldn't really matter, because if you're a true speedway fan, it doesn't matter one iota as long as you've still got the sport to watch. Good luck to those who are putting this event together, it's made me postpone other arrangements that I had made for the 12th August. COME ON YOU 'DONS'........okay and 'KINGS'!!

• Like 1

Fully agree 'Parsloes 1928 nearly', and I will be travelling from my Norfolk home to support the Wimbledon side (sorry Kent fans!!). I understand what 'gustix' is saying, although I don't personally agree with him, and can only assume that if this meeting turns out to have no connections with the previous regime, then he won't be attending, which would be a shame. If he's a former 'Dons' fan as both you and I are, then I'd have thought he'd be delighted to see the famous name take to track once again. But despite whatever you tart a meeting up as, it shouldn't really matter, because if you're a true speedway fan, it doesn't matter one iota as long as you've still got the sport to watch. Good luck to those who are putting this event together, it's made me postpone other arrangements that I had made for the 12th August. COME ON YOU 'DONS'........okay and 'KINGS'!!

There are reasons which I have no wish to go into on site which preclude me from travelling long distances and for time from my home (P1928 note - no where near Streatham!!! and never has been). Yes I would love to see Wimbledon back and hope this match, if properly handled, could be a starter to that happening.

Look lay off please - actually there are very few riders indeed still actively riding Speedway who appeared for the Dons in the 2002-'05 period. But I can assure you that at least four of the team will be either riders who didindeed wear that most famous of race jackets in that CL period or rode regular 'second halves' at Plough Lane in that time. This is a good connection I'd respectfully suggest.

We also know that for the first time since very soon after closure in 2005 there are actually proper talks going on which COULD see the return to track of the Wimbledon club. There's a thread in the General section on this and I can assure you after speaking this week to one of the parties involved, this is a very real, ongoing prospect. Yes, a reasonably long way atm from becoming reality but there's something very positive happening. Other clubs that have returned/tracks reopened have often done so after sides using the name (but not necessarily ex-riders) have ridden challenge matches (egs are Scunthorpe, Weymouth, Rye House) so I really think instead of sniping and speculation there should be (for once in BSF history!) some positivity about this..

That has always been my way of thinking in regard to the Kent Kings v Wimbledon challenge match. And a second point - it's pity we can't do anything in regard to the place that I first saw speedway - dear old New Cross.

There are reasons which I have no wish to go into on site which preclude me from travelling long distances and for time from my home (P1928 note - no where near Streatham!!! and never has been). Yes I would love to see Wimbledon back and hope this match, if properly handled, could be a starter to that happening.

That has always been my way of thinking in regard to the Kent Kings v Wimbledon challenge match. And a second point - it's pity we can't do anything in regard to the place that I first saw speedway - dear old New Cross.

I'm sorry that you have problems that are probably pretty obvious to me, as when the situation is not right, I also have difficulty. At this point I will stop all conversations with you over the rights and wrongs of using defunct club names, and offer you my best wishes. Yeah New Cross, that was another great place to watch speedway, and offered a great vantage point for watching the riders in the pits. I have many old black & white photos that I took there back in the late 50's and early 60's of people like Ronnie Moore, Peter Craven, Ove Fundin, Jack Young, Split Waterman, Ray Cresp, Cyril Brine, Ron How and so the list goes on. Happy days and memories eh? Keep well, and I hope you get to see as many meetings as possible when circumstances permit.

Great news mate! You'll be glad to hear PA probs sorted now so you'll be able to hear my dulcet tones!!!

I'm sorry that you have problems that are probably pretty obvious to me, as when the situation is not right, I also have difficulty. At this point I will stop all conversations with you over the rights and wrongs of using defunct club names, and offer you my best wishes. Yeah New Cross, that was another great place to watch speedway, and offered a great vantage point for watching the riders in the pits. I have many old black & white photos that I took there back in the late 50's and early 60's of people like Ronnie Moore, Peter Craven, Ove Fundin, Jack Young, Split Waterman, Ray Cresp, Cyril Brine, Ron How and so the list goes on. Happy days and memories eh? Keep well, and I hope you get to see as many meetings as possible when circumstances permit.

I appreciate your Post. I do however think the use of the names of old clubs/teams is vaild and worthy of debate as and when needed.

In BSF Speedway News and Discussions for Some Important News re Wimbledon Stadium:

Dons riding at Kent on 12 August, with at least some riders with genuine Dons connections (Andre Cross, Chris Mills, Chris Schramm reported elsewhere). Keeps the profile up and I think assists when we write to the politicians.

Lets hope Mr Taggart can persuade RCP to sell him the stadium and land - still the biggest obstacle to a return to Plough Lane

This looks interesting. I haven't seen it anywhere else but it's possibly a step in the right direction.

Edited by Guest

Great news mate! You'll be glad to hear PA probs sorted now so you'll be able to hear my dulcet tones!!!

Oh jeez...................I'd rather listen to Bryn................but there again!!!!

We know that Mills/Schramm both rode for the Dons a while back. :t:

We know that Mills/Schramm both rode for the Dons a while back. :t:

So did Vic Huxley. :icon_smile_clown:

Jeremy Pestell is riding in the Midland Development League. Maybe Justin Elkins could be talked out of retirement :approve:

Jeremy Pestell is riding in the Midland Development League. Maybe Justin Elkins could be talked out of retirement :approve:

Are you trying to wind-up P1928?

Are you trying to wind-up P1928?

You don't have to try, it comes as a natural thing with him. doesn't it DB? Just off to Scunthorpe now for the British Youth Championship, so hope the weather holds, as it will give me a chance to meet some friends from Carlisle & Workington who are making the journey. All the Best.