British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blazeaway

Kent Kings V Wimbledon, now 16/09/2013

Jeremy Pestell is riding in the Midland Development League. Maybe Justin Elkins could be talked out of retirement :approve:

Are you trying to wind-up P1928?

You don't have to try, it comes as a natural thing with him. doesn't it DB? Just off to Scunthorpe now for the British Youth Championship, so hope the weather holds, as it will give me a chance to meet some friends from Carlisle & Workington who are making the journey. All the Best.

There is a link to the career of Justin Elkins at http://wwosbackup.pr...7/justin-elkins

Amazingly, it doesn't seem to list his spells with Wimbledon or at Weymouth. Also, the Stoke details seem to be only for Premier League matches and not his time with them in the Conference League.

Edited by Guest

Well yes, I actually noticed the other day that often that site ignores third tier records for riders. No idea why.

As for Justin - well I've nothing against the lad but it is foolishness as Speedyguy and now (by a strange co-incidence...?!) gustix claim that he was some kind of a success when at both Wimbledon & Weymouth in the end he HAD to be dropped from the team because not only did he not finish a race he never even left the starting area for several meetings in a row..!

Funny you should use the word 'retirement' in association with Justin coz that was the word most commonly associated with his career!

And yes, i do remember when he once scored an 18 points maximum for the Dons and beat Eddie Kennett to win the Bronze Helmet!!!

Well yes, I actually noticed the other day that often that site ignores third tier records for riders. No idea why.

As for Justin - well I've nothing against the lad but...

Somewhat surprised that you're not out skidding at Sittingbourne with the rest of the Kent crew then showing him how it should be done Parsnips old fruit! :shock::wink:

Maybe Justin Elkins could be talked out of retirement :approve:

Is it true he is putting his experience to good use and is now working for the AA breakdown service?

• Like 2

Somewhat surprised that you're not out skidding at Sittingbourne with the rest of the Kent crew then showing him how it should be done Parsnips old fruit! :shock::wink:

I wasn't invited Bryn.. :-(

As for Justin - well I've nothing against the lad but it is foolishness as Speedyguy and now (by a strange co-incidence...?!) gustix claim that he was some kind of a success when at both Wimbledon & Weymouth in the end he HAD to be dropped from the team because not only did he not finish a race he never even left the starting area for several meetings in a row..!

Funny you should use the word 'retirement' in association with Justin coz that was the word most commonly associated with his career!

And yes, i do remember when he once scored an 18 points maximum for the Dons and beat Eddie Kennett to win the Bronze Helmet!!!

I merely mentioned Justin Elkins results for Weymouth and Stoke and also for Wimbledon had not been noted by the site which centres on these sort of records.

I don't think that I associated 'retirement' with Elkins rather was it Mimmo when he put forward Elkins' name as a possible candidate for the Kent Kings v Wimbledon match.

In hindsight, these days I agree entirely with the sentiment and opinion expressed by P1928 - Elkins' career always ended in disaster and disappointment for the clubs and the fans wherever he rode.

Edited by Guest

Re message 24 concerning Chris Mills, Chris Schramm and Andy Cross as possible starters for Wimbledon. Sir Sidney advised me this was as follows on facebook -

Posted by Andre on the Wimbledon Speedway Facebook page. https://www.facebook...ups/2426614704/

As the 'big match' draws near I am still unclear as to why the Kent Kings v Wimbledon challenge match was arranged? It seems to have been suddenly placed in the Kings fixture list - obviously - on an open date, with the Dons title used for want of needing to name an opposing side.

There must have been a specific reason as to why it was decided to use a 'Wimbledon team' to fill the date. The match was suddenly announced without, so far as I can see, no real build up previously. Luckily, the match has since gained some interest as speculation intensifies in south west London in regard to the possibility that a pending new ownership at Plough Lane might also see a much hoped return for speedway at some time.

I think that from a Wimbledon supporters perspective news of the match caused some surprise but if my understanding of the situation is correct by following sites centred on Wimbledon, so far not a lot of supportive comment has so far been made for the fixture. It is, of course, still some 12 days before the match takes place, so hopefully attitudes will change.

This could well be because it is some years - I think 2008? - that a Wimbledon team backed by the Supporters Club was in action for a challenge match against Oxford at the now closed Reading.

I want to see the Kent Kings v Wimbledon match to be a success, more so to regenerate interest for the sport as it affects Dons' supporters at time when hopefully they are on the verge of a long hoped for revival of the sport - obviously in the distant future - at the famous London venue.

I also think that they need to start have some indication in regard to who will make up the Wimbledon team. So far, the only 'confirmed?' name is Andre Cross, who I don't think has been active in the sport for some years? I am sure that the likely composition of the Dons side has moved beyond one rider?

For the match to be a success it now needs positive feedback to start filtering if Wimbledon supporters are to be persuaded to turn up in any substantial numbers to see this famous old club back in action again.

I see it is for the `John Cearns Cup`.Neil hopefully will enlighten us who John is In the Cearns family tree. :D Gustix does there have to be a reason for this fixture other than - Kent Kings Owner Roger Cearns family is steeped in History concerning the Famous `Wimbledon Dons`.And surely any fixture that keeps the `Dons` name in the fixture list has to be good. :t:

I see it is for the `John Cearns Cup`.Neil hopefully will enlighten us who John is In the Cearns family tree. :D Gustix does there have to be a reason for this fixture other than - Kent Kings Owner Roger Cearns family is steeped in History concerning the Famous `Wimbledon Dons`.And surely any fixture that keeps the `Dons` name in the fixture list has to be good. :t:

I honestly want the fixture to be a success and personally I am fully aware of the Cearns' family's links with Wimbledon Stadium. In no way I have criticised the fact that a Wimbledon team is to appear on track for the first time in five years - believe me at this delicate stage in current happenings at Wimbledon Stadium it is to be welcomed.

What I criticise is that there was no previous build-up for the match. It just came over originally as a 'throwaway' comment by 'Blazeaway'.

As the topic suggests, I have heard a little whisper of a Challenge Match between The Dons and Kent. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Your reply 'AJ is King' has given a much needed taster for why the match is taking place - something which perhaps should have been done from the beginning? Wimbledon fans need to know why a Dons team is about to get back on track - their interest (and let's be honest) is about speedway racing not honouring a famiy who once owned Wimbledon Stadium. I doubt if there are many present time Dons fans who culd tell you who the Cearns family are and their old involvement with Plough Lane which must have been at least 30 years ago? Time has moved on.

Better initial publicity from the very beginning rather than a tendency to shroud the match's objectives would have avoided me asking for better background data on this intriguing fixture?

Edited by Guest

Look, a meeting has to be arranged some time... Before it is arranged, er, it hasn't been...! So I'm somewhat at a loss as to how to respond to the criticism that one day it wasn't arranged and then next it was, without any "build-up"...

I'm going for a lie down in a darkened room!!!! :blink:

Look, a meeting has to be arranged some time... Before it is arranged, er, it hasn't been...! So I'm somewhat at a loss as to how to respond to the criticism that one day it wasn't arranged and then next it was, without any "build-up"...

I'm going for a lie down in a darkened room!!!! :blink:

I am also a little confused. Is the meeting on or not? I only raised the point because it all started with the first post in this thread from Blazeaway asking if such a match had been arranged? It was only subsequently as we made the way through various messages that the confirmation with dates emerged.

Kent Kings usually provide excellent forward planning but this time most of what we have discovered about the fixture has only come to light because of probing questions by others beside myself about the match.

If you take a careful study from the first page you may get the trend I am pinpointing that the match was as you comment "one day it wasn't arranged and then next it was, without any "build-up"...

This is getting a bit boring whatever the name put on the meeting ,Wimbledon ,,New Cross West Ham. Canterbury....of much more importance is the next league match ,,These challenge matches are just fixture fillers to give some continuity to the weekly fix for the fans, some of whom have probably supported these defunct tracks in the past,and it adds some nostalgic value to such challenges And more importantly track time and of course earnings for the riders,,,,lets hope what ever riders are invited ,put on a good show for the fans ..Personally i dont care which riders are booked as long as they are competitive,,Riders riding now are going to put on a better show , whether they rode for Wimbledon or not.. Than any of the riders who have ridden for Wimbledon in the distant past, . and have since retired. .On the plus side any attempt to revive speedway at Wimbledon or any defunct track should be applauded and in due course given every support...

Edited by waco

This is getting a bit boring whatever the name put on the meeting ,Wimbledon ,,New Cross West Ham. Canterbury....of much more importance is the next league match ,,

Why should debate about Kent Kings v Wimbledon be boring on here? This is the correct thread for the topic. With all respect, if you don't want to debate or read the topic why bother to hone in on it?

There are still quite a few Wimbledon supporters around who I know are following the debate with some interest. Some have even indicated that they intend making "speedway comebacks" to be at the match on Monday, August 12. And good luck yo them all.

John Cearns was a director of Wimbledon Stadium for many years, and defended the retention of speedway at Plough Lane in the face of increasing disillusionment and indifference from the GRA.

In my opinion he was a real unsung hero of the sport and it's fitting that he's being honoured in this way.

His father was the legendary WJ Cearns, Chairman of West Ham FC and builder of Plough Lane!