British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Terry

Will It Be The Same With Woffy?

With Tai Woffinden on the verge of becoming Englands 7th world champion I'm wondering if people feel the same elation as previous English champions because of his Australian upbringing? Although I regard Tai as being English, (probably because he is!) I can't get as excited as I was 13 years ago when the great Loramski won.

woofy was born in england loram wasnt ,he was born in malta

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

He was born in England and represents GB. Regardless of where he was brought up that makes him British enough for me.

Thinking about previous English winners, I remember Michael Lee being announced as world champion over the tannoy at Hackney. (The 1980 championship must've been on a Friday) and people actually booed. Incredible!

I wasn't as excited for Loram's win as I was for Havvy's...

I'm not sure whether that's relevant or not, I just thought I'd share :D

Thinking about previous English winners, I remember Michael Lee being announced as world champion over the tannoy at Hackney. (The 1980 championship must've been on a Friday) and people actually booed. Incredible!

1980 Final was held on the 5th of September which was indeed a Friday.

Edited by HenryW

Being a Hackney fan obviously I was over the moon when Mark Loram won, having watched him from the beginning of his career :D

Being a Hackney fan obviously I was over the moon when Mark Loram won, having watched him from the beginning of his career :D

Without wanting to take anything away from Mark's title, there just seemed to be something missing when he became world champ without winning a GP that year...At least Tai has a win under his belt this year.

Having said that, it's a shame that this year has been such a mess of injuries for the big names as his win would have seemed more impressive if there hadn't been so many injuries (including his own)...and given the way he has been racing this year, I think he probably would have won even with a full season of fitness from Holder, Ward, Sayfutdinov and Pedersen!

• Like 2

Without wanting to take anything away from Mark's title, there just seemed to be something missing when he became world champ without winning a GP that year...At least Tai has a win under his belt this year.

Having said that, it's a shame that this year has been such a mess of injuries for the big names as his win would have seemed more impressive if there hadn't been so many injuries (including his own)...and given the way he has been racing this year, I think he probably would have won even with a full season of fitness from Holder, Ward, Sayfutdinov and Pedersen!

I agree with you it was a shame Mark didn't win a gp that year, although he only missed out by half a wheel in Prague, (Damn you Billy Hamill!). But he was the most consistent and exciting rider so thoroughly deserved to win.

I was excited when PC won it but not so much Michael Lee...over the moon when Loram won it and willl be if Tai can finish it off.....I wasn't watching Speedway when Havelock won I didnt take much interest between 1981 and 1999...C'mon Tai just stay safe and win it for England.

Tai born in England and rides for Great Britain that's good enough for me.

I see on oddschecker.com that Tai is already 2-1 favourite bu some bookies for next years title.

All those people who doubted him before the GP must have a extremely large amount of egg on their faces now.

Tai was 150/1 before the start of the GP season to win - good job I had a bet on him.