British Speedway Forum
bennyr

Eastbourne 2014

According to today's Eastbourne Herald the Eagles have finished, no one new has come forward to take over and Bob is unable to substain the losses any longer, not that anyone can blame him for that what's so ever, yes there could have had some changes that may have stopped it coming to this. Very sad to read this, like many others I will be reduced to watching speedway on TV as all of the other 'local' tracks are just that bit too far away for me to travel to on a regular basis so after watching live speedway for over 42 years any trackside matches will be few and far between for me.

Not sure if the stock cars will continue there next year that remains to be seen depending on if he does get his planning permission for building a load of new houses there.

Very sad news indeed. Like Sophie I shall no longer have a local track to attend as Lakeside and Poole are the nearest and too far to attend on a regular basis.

So that leaves 8 EL tracks.

This is very bad news indeed, although not unexpected. Having had dealings with Dugard MC Tools over the years I have every respect for the Dugard family and their involvement in speedway over the years. It is also such a shame for the dedicated speedway fans at Eastbourne.

Very sad news, you have to feel for the fans but can also understand Bob Dugard's decision if no prospective new owners have been found.

I hope it's not too late if someone does now come forward.

Well that's that.

An association gong back to 1971 ended.

Who to blame?

Sky and the GPs, though in a way you can't blame the riders in their quest for glory.

But with SKY, why pay an entrance fee when you can watch for free?

Once they got underway the exodus of "star" names began.

Followed by bare terraces on TV whenever SKY turned up.

Add to that the BSPA tinkering with the rules, the FIM with their GP challenges that deprive clubs of riders, and we are now at a situation this season where the so called 'ELITE' League resembles a collection of left-overs; Team A select V Team B select.

Any semblance to the top tier of British Speedway prior to the advent of SKY/the GPS, their is none.

No wonder supporters are deserting it and are disenchanted.

No wonder Bob Dugard, a man who's family have had decades of involvement with the sort, has called it a day.

Sad news.

I thought Eastbourne didn't have to any rent? How are they making losses?

I think Dugard just wants to sell the land and retire in spain or somewhere tropical.

What a bunch of nonsense from Dugard, http://companycheck.co.uk/company/00334522

At the end of 2013

£14,000 in cash

Net worth of £735,000

Assets of £713,000

Liabilities of £113,000

Edited by Morrissey Fan

Couldn't Eastbourne Speedway, whether under Dugard or someone else, look at racing in the PL or NL for a season or two.

There is life after the EL.

• Like 1

Sad news.

I thought Eastbourne didn't have to any rent? How are they making losses?

I think Dugard just wants to sell the land and retire in spain or somewhere tropical.

What a bunch of nonsense from Dugard, http://companycheck.co.uk/company/00334522

At the end of 2013

£14,000 in cash

Net worth of £735,000

Assets of £713,000

Liabilities of £113,000

There are still riders wages to pay flights upkeep of the stadium electricity cost of medical services insurance plus loads of fuel for his infamous tractor! Seriously he lost over £100k this year stock cars to a degree propped the speedway up but if you can't get the spectators to attend in large enough numbers youre going to make a loss needed 1200 to attend each week just to break even. Who in their right mind is going to keep something like this running when you make a loss each year?

There will be a few tracks that will have made a profit but expect a fair few didn't. Speedway is not a cheap sport to follow and many fans have to pick and choose which matches to go to not everyone can afford to go to each meeting and to go and watch one thats got loads of guests or the dreaded r/r is not going to encourage people to attend.

• Like 2

There are still riders wages to pay flights upkeep of the stadium electricity cost of medical services insurance plus loads of fuel for his infamous tractor! Seriously he lost over £100k this year stock cars to a degree propped the speedway up but if you can't get the spectators to attend in large enough numbers youre going to make a loss needed 1200 to attend each week just to break even. Who in their right mind is going to keep something like this running when you make a loss each year?

There will be a few tracks that will have made a profit but expect a fair few didn't. Speedway is not a cheap sport to follow and many fans have to pick and choose which matches to go to not everyone can afford to go to each meeting and to go and watch one thats got loads of guests or the dreaded r/r is not going to encourage people to attend.

Speedway needs to cut back on fixtures and bring in the Top riders.

A Saturday race night for the Elite League would be perfect and It's time we told Paul Bellamy, Phillip Rising and his fellow BSI stooges to stop taking so many dates.

Speedway needs to cut back on fixtures and bring in the Top riders.

A Saturday race night for the Elite League would be perfect and It's time we told Paul Bellamy, Phillip Rising and his fellow BSI stooges to stop taking so many dates.

How I would like to be a fly on the wall of that conversation. :blink:

• Like 1

According to today's Eastbourne Herald the Eagles have finished, no one new has come forward to take over and Bob is unable to substain the losses any longer, not that anyone can blame him for that what's so ever, yes there could have had some changes that may have stopped it coming to this. Very sad to read this, like many others I will be reduced to watching speedway on TV as all of the other 'local' tracks are just that bit too far away for me to travel to on a regular basis so after watching live speedway for over 42 years any trackside matches will be few and far between for me.

Not sure if the stock cars will continue there next year that remains to be seen depending on if he does get his planning permission for building a load of new houses there.

Is this in the hard copy of the local rag? as unable to see anything online.

Although not one of my favourite venues I have had some fond memories of visiting Arlington in the past. I hope something happens to save the club even at this late stage.

Is this in the hard copy of the local rag? as unable to see anything online.

Although not one of my favourite venues I have had some fond memories of visiting Arlington in the past. I hope something happens to save the club even at this late stage.

It was on the backpage.

My girlfriend lives in Eastbourne and I'll tell her to buy the paper and sent it to me so I can scan it.

Edited by Morrissey Fan

It was on the backpage.

My girlfriend lives in Eastbourne and I'll tell her to buy the paper and sent it to me so I can scan it.

That'll be drier for her, compared with Leicester

• Like 1