British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham V Wolverhampton Playoff Semi Final 2nd Leg 30/09

I would rather hope Alan Phillips lets it be known he has lawyers ready to pounce if there's more mysterious technical difficulties on the next two mondays.

Shows how mickey mouse those in charge of British Speedway are that we are having to talk about this instead of a mouthwatering grand final.

Of course the site will have to be taken offline on the next 2 Mondays. The single explanation for the action being taken is the volume of traffic.

As the volume of traffic will only increase over the next 2 weeks it's inevitable isn't it?

Otherwise it could be argued that the original explanation was just a load of nonsense and you might then come to the assumption that instead of it being a traffic issue, that it might instead have been a devious and spiteful act by the hosting company.

Perhaps if the traffic is an issue both Birmingham and Poole will have the sites removed from AP Medias portfolio of live websites leaving some of the others online to supply the public with info on the clubs seasons. Because that would make lots of sense wouldn't it???.....

Edited by richsimpson

DID the BSPA pull the site down, or did AP? I don't understand what happened. How can there be not enough bandwidth? Surely the BSPA didn't pay for a cheap package??

Quote from Tai on the Wolves Site

" Woffinden has also revealed how he found it hard to watch Wolverhampton, without his services, miss out to Birmingham in the Elite League play-offs on Monday.

“It was hard for me to watch that, but that’s speedway and I still think we’ve had a reasonable season at Wolves,” he said.

“Full credit to Birmingham, they’re a really strong side and I say congratulations to them on reaching the final. I believe it has all the makings of a great final with Poole.

“And when you look down the scorers, even if I had raced in both legs of the semi-final it probably won’t have made any difference to the outcome.”

• Like 1

It appears discussions re the Birmingham Website are not permitted on the BSF. The thread on it has disappeared almost as mysteriously as the Birmingham Website did on Monday night. And people say there's no inner clique...........

So just to clarify then, there aren't any technical problem at all with the Birmingham website, that could cause a major problem on the hosting server which means that a number of other clubs sites couldn't be accessed when increased volume of traffic to the Brum site occurs and that the Birmingham webmaster hasn't been made of aware of the issues several times in the past and failed to solve the problem?

So just to clarify then, there aren't any technical problem at all with the Birmingham website, that could cause a major problem on the hosting server which means that a number of other clubs sites couldn't be accessed when increased volume of traffic to the Brum site occurs and that the Birmingham webmaster hasn't been made of aware of the issues several times in the past and failed to solve the problem?

This is clarification:

It is a matter of fact that AP Media switched off the Brummies site without any prior notification. Emails exist from AP Media to that effect.

Emails also exist from AP Media from last Winter that would leave no person in any doubt as to AP Medias motivation in their disgraceful actions recently.

Did anyone else watching on TV suffer a sound imbalance between the Sky commentary and the background stadium noise ? The Sky commentary seemed muffled, and although I obviously enjoy the sound of the bikes, the stadium centre green announcer was bloody annoying.....is it just a midlands thing that they commentate during the final half lap ? I don't recall this happening at Eastbourne, Poole, Lakeside, Swindon, Ipswich.......etc

Did anyone else watching on TV suffer a sound imbalance between the Sky commentary and the background stadium noise ? The Sky commentary seemed muffled, and although I obviously enjoy the sound of the bikes, the stadium centre green announcer was bloody annoying.....is it just a midlands thing that they commentate during the final half lap ? I don't recall this happening at Eastbourne, Poole, Lakeside, Swindon, Ipswich.......etc

I can assure you the centre green announcer at Perry Barr does not commentate during the race.

btw when the heats came on the big screen from Poole the commentary started before the race which was a little annoying.

Quote from Tai on the Wolves Site

" Woffinden has also revealed how he found it hard to watch Wolverhampton, without his services, miss out to Birmingham in the Elite League play-offs on Monday.

“It was hard for me to watch that, but that’s speedway and I still think we’ve had a reasonable season at Wolves,” he said.

“Full credit to Birmingham, they’re a really strong side and I say congratulations to them on reaching the final. I believe it has all the makings of a great final with Poole.

“And when you look down the scorers, even if I had raced in both legs of the semi-final it probably won’t have made any difference to the outcome.”

Diplomatic as always.. but Maths isn't his strong point. :)

This is clarification:

It is a matter of fact that AP Media switched off the Brummies site without any prior notification. Emails exist from AP Media to that effect.

Emails also exist from AP Media from last Winter that would leave no person in any doubt as to AP Medias motivation in their disgraceful actions recently.

That's for the clarification Jock, pleased to hear the scripting of the source code of the website, is of good enough quality that it wouldn't cause major problems with bandwidth when traffic to the site increases.

Let's stop the discussion until Phil is ready to open the other thread.

This is a delicate situation that must be approached and handled with care.

I thought that bandwidth and traffic was the very problem being used as an excuse?

It appears what Barry the Cat is saying is there are issues with the scripting on the Birmingham website, issues that have been pointed out to the webmaster in the past and that haven't been rectified. These issues, with increased traffic cause a far bigger demand on the servers than they should do, or it seems other clubs websites do.

It appears from the Birmingham side of things there is animosity between Birmingham and AP Media and they are suggesting this is a deliberate act.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Understood that bit Bwitcher but the info on post 294 was suggesting the website is strong enough coding not be a problem with increased traffic. But that's the argument from what I can understand...

The truth will come out eventually but whether it will be broadcast is a different story! Bazzzycat seems to know more than they let on but also contradict themselves?

Unless I read it wrong?

To be frank, a lot of the overrun was Sky's fault, the riders were ready just after 7:30, but heat 1 didn't get underway until nearly 7:50 due to Pearson waffling and a lengthy intro to start with, followed by frequent interviews with Darcy and regulart advert breaks, no doubt they would have also been the first to complain had the Brummies said that's your lot at 10pm which was around heat 12/13 from memory.

If sky want a lengthy intro, put the bloody programme on at 7pm and lets get heat 1 underway at 7:30 on the dot.

This EXACTLY.

Its the same when it comes to the British GP too. Just get on with the damn thing and stop all the verbal diarhea from "Mr Know It All" Pearson and totally unnecessary lengthy intro's and over the top hype. When you have so much to get through you get started as soon as possible. IF for any chance, you are ever actually AHEAD of schedule and in danger of not having enough "action" to fulfil the alloted time, THEN you can start waffling on and interviewing "Tom, Dick & Harry" to slow things down a little. It happens everytime and SKY either don't seem to care about it or haven't enough intelligence to act differently for once!

Understood that bit Bwitcher but the info on post 294 was suggesting the website is strong enough coding not be a problem with increased traffic. But that's the argument from what I can understand...

The truth will come out eventually but whether it will be broadcast is a different story! Bazzzycat seems to know more than they let on but also contradict themselves?

Unless I read it wrong?

I don't think you've read it wrong, but I sense a hint of sarcasm within post 294