British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Main Man

Nl Supporters Pairs Trophy At Coventry --fri Oct 4th

Coventry stage a Pairs event on Fri Oct 4th.

Invited so far :

James Sarjeant , Joe Jacobs, Oliver Greenwood, Martin Knuckey, Luke Crang , Ryan Terry-Daley (Coventry Storm) ; Paul Starke , Dan Greenwood (Dudley) , Ben Morley (Kent), Marc Owen (unattached), Dan Halsey (Mildenhall), Luke Priest (Stoke), Darryl Ritchings (IOW)

21 heats , 7 pairs.

Race sponsorship £25 per race ....contact : laurencerogers@blueyonder.co.uk or text 07510768292

Edited by Main Man

This has been moved from the NL section to this one which is for individual, testimonials and shared events!! Hope people see it now!

added to line-up--Tom Perry and Shane Waldron.

• Like 1

How much to get in.

£12 adults, children free

with Darryl Ritchings unfortunately injured on Tuesday night his place will be taken by Luke Chessell

SUPPORTERS PAIRS TROPHY

1. James Sarjeant + Luke Crang
  2. Dan Halsey + Ryan Terry-Daley
  3. Joe Jacobs + Martin Knuckey
  4. Paul Starke + Dan Greenwood
  5. Ben Morley + Marc Owen
  6. Tom Perry + Luke Chessell
  7. Luke Priest + Shane Waldron

Reserves : Conor Dwyer + Jez Pestell

COVENTRY stage National League-level action for the final time in 2013 with the Supporters’ Pairs Trophy at Brandon on Friday (7.30pm).

The Storm have enjoyed a fine first season, only just missing out on the play-offs after a number of exciting meetings, and several riders who have added plenty to the entertainment value will be on-track again.

The fourteen competitors have been split into seven pairings, and they will race over a 21-heat format with a 4-3-2-0 scoring system to encourage team-riding with an evenly-matched contest expected.

There are two full home pairings, with Storm heat-leaders Joe Jacobs and James Sarjeant teaming up with Martin Knuckey and Luke Crang respectively, whilst club asset Ryan Terry-Daley joins forces with Mildenhall skipper Dan Halsey.

Dudley Heathens won the National League Pairs earlier in the season, an event which featured all eight clubs, and the former Cradley club have two of their regular riders, Paul Starke and Dan Greenwood, in partnership.

There will also be a first appearance at Coventry this season for Dudley asset Tom Perry, who rode in last year’s World Under-21 Final at Brandon.

Storm boss Laurence Rogers said: “I’m very pleased that we’ve managed to get most of our side together for this meeting, and there should be a lot of close racing.

“It’s been a good start for us in the National League, naturally we want to grow on that next year and I’m happy to report that all the lads have expressed a willingness to be back with us, which is great news.”

Admission prices are £12 for all adults, a slight increase on regular NL levels due to the extra races, and children are free as normal. Elite League season tickets are not valid, but they will be for the East Midlands Bowl on October 13 and the Brandonapolis on October 18.

LINE-UP: James Sarjeant & Luke Crang, Dan Halsey & Ryan Terry-Daley, Joe Jacobs & Martin Knuckey, Paul Starke & Dan Greenwood, Ben Morley & Marc Owen, Tom Perry & Luke Chessell, Luke Priest & Shane Waldron.

You were right Main Man - it was a good one. Some brilliant racing in fact so well done to all the lads and hoping Martin Knuckey is okay after his horrendous crash on the 4th bend after Halsey spun in front of him.

• Like 1

DUDLEY duo Paul Starke and Dan Greenwood were the winners of the inaugural Supporters’ Pairs Trophy at Brandon on Friday.

The Heathens pair emulated the success of their team-mates Ashley Morris and Lewis Blackbird, who won the National League Pairs earlier in the season as they finished on 34 points, three clear of their nearest rivals.

Neither Starke nor Greenwood ran a last place all evening, which was key to their success – as was the fact that they recorded the only maximum 7-2 of the meeting, that coming in their third outing when they were against Dan Halsey and Ryan Terry-Daley.

Starke was the winner in that race, but it was Greenwood who came to the fore later in the meeting with two terrific wins, getting the better of James Sarjeant in a Heat 18 battle which was as good as anything seen at the track all season as the two riders passed and re-passed.

Second place overall went to Luke Priest and Shane Waldron, Priest giving a fast and consistent display to win three rides and finish second in his other three – whilst Waldron was able to walk away from an awkward Heat 19 crash when he and Terry-Daley made contact going into the last lap.

There were impressive performances, too, from Tom Perry and Ben Morley, but there was no doubt that the individual star of the night was Coventry Storm’s Joe Jacobs, who won all six of his rides for a 24-point maximum.

Unfortunately, Jacobs lost his partner Martin Knuckey to injury in an horrific Heat 5 smash, as Halsey spun and fell right in Knuckey’s path on turn three leaving the Cornishman nowhere to go, and his bike actually cleared the air-fence.

Knuckey suffered cuts and bruises as well as some elbow pain, and was taken to hospital for a check-up leaving Jacobs to be partnered by the meeting reserves – but he still stamped his authority on the meeting in an individual sense, rounding off a highly impressive season at Brandon.

Jacobs said: “I was counting down the rides to my maximum, I’d changed a couple of things on the bike to get out of the starts and tonight it was working awesome.

“It was a good night for me, I can’t complain as I was trying an engine as well and it’s nice to leave the season with Coventry with 24 out of 24, that’s pretty cool.”

RESULT: 1. Paul Starke 15/Dan Greenwood 19 = 34; 2. Luke Priest 21/Shane Waldron 10 = 31; 3. Tom Perry 20/Luke Chessell 6 = 26; 4. Joe Jacobs 24/Martin Knuckey 0/Jez Pestell 2/Sean Phillips 0 = 26; 5. Ben Morley 21/Marc Owen 4 = 25; 6. James Sarjeant 20/Luke Crang 4 = 24; 7. Dan Halsey 16/Ryan Terry-Daley 7 = 23.

You were right Main Man - it was a good one. Some brilliant racing in fact so well done to all the lads and hoping Martin Knuckey is okay after his horrendous crash on the 4th bend after Halsey spun in front of him.

There was brilliant racing --those who stayed away (why??) missed one of the best if not the best night's racing I have seen all season. Marty luckily has got away with stitches in his jaw and a concussion and was kept in over night.

I was chuffed that the pairs were just about evenly matched and produced some great speedway ...it was hard work but worth it even if my car broke down on the way home !!

I suppose the rain overnight and showers during the day might have put some people off but I'm so glad I made the effort to tackle the awful roadworks on roads near me in Leicester prior to getting onto the M69. It really was worth the extra hastle getting to Brandon as there was some of the best racing I've seen all season. Just confirms what I've always thought - big stars are not necessary to produce exciting speedway and I can't understand why some fans think National League racing is inferior to the Elite League and don't even give it a chance. :neutral:

As well as all the lads last night credit also goes to the track staff as it looked like a brilliant racing surface.

A cracking meeting last night at Brandon, very good racing by these young men, a lot seem to be coming along nicly. horrible crash for Knuckey in heat 5 hope he is ok.

Race of the night had to be heat 18 Greenwood and Sarjeant fighting for first place, well impressed with Halsey, Priest, Perry and Morley and a special mention for Joe Jacobs who went through the card to remain unbeaten and getting 24 pts.

Nl magic, good nights entertainment 21 heats by 9.45pm, well run and presented.

More please.

• Like 2

Whilst we build the Video on Demand section of our website, a link to the brilliant Heat 18 from Friday's meeting can now be found on our 'Who are we" page.

http://www.cleancuts....php/who-are-we

It can be found on the "Here is an example of our work" - it does take about 30 seconds to load - but its well worth it !

Edited by ballinger

Brilliant race. Quite scary watching it live though. :lol: