British Speedway Forum
stansolo

Unforgettable Speedway Names

Guest Rod King
David Walsh :lol:

Err....something tells me that I haven't quite got the hang of this thread...... :P

Can you ever forget him?

If the answer is "no" then you've got the thread right! :lol:

What about Dingle Brown

Goog Allen

Ivan Mauger (of course!)

Brian (Pommey) Brett

Neil (Fish) Coddington

Konstantyn Pociejowkiwicz (honest! rode for Rybnik in 60's)

Gote Nordin

Russ Dent (made a few of them he did)

Ian Hoskins used to introduce Reider Eide as (Rider Ider!!!!!!)

(Hurri) Ken Mckinley

Most of the early riders had army game type nicknames Dusty Miller, Chalkie White etc.

I wonder why.... :blink:

Who on Earth were they?

I am sure I have a Southampton Programme from about 1947 with a Saints side that included amongst others Alf Bottoms, Roy Craighead, Bob Oakley and Dink Philpotts.

I also recollect the name Bingley Creig (surname spelling may be inaccurate) being in a programme or photo I have somewhere. Sort of Phil Bishop era I think.

I am wondering if it might be a photo of a 1932 ish Saints Team that beat Lea Bridge and included Frank Goulden.

But then again Norman, I can't remember what I was doing last Tuesday, so I might be wrong, but I did think they were such cracking names.

Crouch.

David Walsh  :lol:

Err....something tells me that I haven't quite got the hang of  this thread...... :P

Stop it Lioness you will get beside yourself again.

By the way Dave is often in Hull ....Any message next time i see him ????? :rolleyes:

Edited by hullangel

I'd be too embarrassed hull angel :oops::wink:

I think I am a bit like Gemini in that respect :lol: although Addy assures me he is every bit as nice a person!

I am sure I have a Southampton Programme from about 1947 with a Saints side that included amongst others Alf Bottoms, Roy Craighead, Bob Oakley and Dink Philpotts.

Couldn't find anyone by the name of Dink Philpotts in the 1947 Saints team, though there is someone by the name of Bert # Name Removed #, which, of course, is memorable for all the right reasons. :D

I'd be too embarrassed hull angel :oops::wink:

I think I am a bit like Gemini in that respect :lol: although Addy assures me he is every bit as nice a person!

He is one of the most aproachable people in speedway. He always has time to talk to anybody ............A really nice guy

I'm surprised that no Monarchist has mentioned Darren Winkler on this thread! :o

How about Finlands PEKKA HAUTAMAKKI & SEPPO PALOMAKKI :rolleyes:

Couldn't find anyone by the name of Dink Philpotts in the 1947 Saints team, though there is someone by the name of Bert # Name Removed #, which, of course, is memorable for all the right reasons. :D

Thanks for that Norman :rolleyes: .

He's been gone 9 years now, and I still think about The Old Man pretty much every day.

Nice to know other people still remember him with such fondness and respect.

Cheers,

D C

Dinky Philpotts rode 3 matches for Exeter in 1947.

Maybe it was an open Meeting or one of those Pride of the South things -

or of course -:oops: it might have been V Exeter :oops: