British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Sheffield 2014

At least "Hoggy and the others" have always kept Sheffield going ... when's this year's first meeting at Newport ?

[well im sure Sheffield would not have run if the 3 new guys had not bought the club]

You may well be correct, but it appears to me, from all that we have read, that Hoggy sweat blood for Sheffield throughout the close season to make sure somebody bought the club. So did they buy or were they sold on it? I'm with Arthur Cross on this; at minimum it is a very unsatisfactory way to deal with the departure of someone who has put many years in to Sheffield both as a sponsor and promoter. It just smells rather funny to me!

I am sure Peter Mole was a promoter at Newport so will know how the job is done, lets give the new promotion a chance, the past few years have not been too good under Hoggy and the others

I am sure they all know what they are doing and I think have started off brilliantly

The past few years have not been good under Machin and the others; you seem to have forgotten who owned the business and by default dictated the policies and budgets.

• Like 1

At least "Hoggy and the others" have always kept Sheffield going ... when's this year's first meeting at Newport ?

[well im sure Sheffield would not have run if the 3 new guys had not bought the club]

At least there was still a club, even better still with a track to race upon, for those 3 new guys (or anyone else) to decide upon whether they wanted to buy it.

I repeat, when's this year's first meeting at Newport if that's the yardstick of credibility for these new guys ?

At least there was still a club, even better still with a track to race upon, for those 3 new guys (or anyone else) to decide upon whether they wanted to buy it.

I repeat, when's this year's first meeting at Newport if that's the yardstick of credibility for these new guys ?

what i don't understand is that you are all guessing what has gone off and really nobody knows, so everyone needs to trust what is happening and stop having a go,

what i don't understand is that you are all guessing what has gone off and really nobody knows, so everyone needs to trust what is happening and stop having a go,

Why? Honeymoon period is over! If they can mishandle this departure what else are they going to screw up?

Why? Honeymoon period is over! If they can mishandle this departure what else are they going to screw up?

who has mishandled it, i see no wrong with the statement very professional and it has nothing to do with us

All sorts of sports (not just speedway) are filled with new ownerships who moved in by declaring their intentions to take their particular club in a new direction ... only to spectacularly overlook keeping the existing supporters on board so that any new supporters that were attracted by the new direction had to replace the departing diehards rather than the ideal plan of adding to them.

I hope this isn't a cautionary tale for the Sheffield Tigers ... new promotions need to earn the trust of their club's supporters as much as those supporters need to respect and trust the new folk in charge.

Edited by arthur cross

You must know your name is Bates isn't it?

how has it been mishandled??---New folk come in with cash to save the club--they do things their way,after all they own it so they should be able to act in a way which they think they need to

• Like 1

Not sure what your point is Arthur. I think Neil Machin kept it going for 21 years most of which without Hoggy's help and as far as I was aware all of which without Hoggy's money. Neil said on Wednesday that he was staying on the BSPA so if he is staying as a promoter then Sheffield will still have a vote as far as I am aware. I seem to remember it was Peter Mole that baled out Newport when it was about to go bust and was not the man who closed it down. As far as I can see reading the press release There was some disagreement about how to run the club. If Hoggy was trying to run the club his own way after the others put the money in, then I agree it was a case of using somebody to try and get what you want only not how Elephant man describes it! Given Bates runs a successful business and looks like he is the front man, Why would he let that happen? (Oh, and by the way in the comic the other week Bates Said he tried to buy the club a few years ago so he hardly needed dragging to the negotiating table!) We've still got Speedway and fans are running it for fans. An experienced man is in the background an I understand the Bates and Mole have contacts within the sport so there will be no shortage of advice! Sorry to see Hoggy go but life goes on. Bring on the season!

• Like 6

who has mishandled it, i see no wrong with the statement very professional and it has nothing to do with us

Before the statement there was rumour and speculation; by default that means the situation has been mishandled. Handled correctly there would have been a joint announcement of some sorts; the old "mutual agreement" stuff, the absence of such is also indicator that the departure has not been handled that well.

Sport in general is useless at this type of thing :)

I am concerned that you now have 29 posts on a forum that has built its reputation by commenting on "things that have nothing to do with us". Are you sure you are in the right place; have you invested in the right sport?

who are you sherlock holmes

Not quite but it doesn't take a lot of looking through your posts and others responses to work that out. A bit like the post after yours looking like your unnamed shareholder, you know the one that is pulling the strings and the post after that looking like one of your sponsors. I think it was Elephantman that mentioned mishandled so carrying on your business under pseudonyms on a public forum is the way to go is it?

• Like 1

Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?

Well I'm thinking why would one shareholder go unnamed unless of course:

1. They have something to hide

or

2. They have something to hide

• Like 1