British Speedway Forum
Wolfsbane

Wolverhampton 2014

It must be heart breaking to be a Wolves fan today The one thing you can take solace from is that with a fit Ty the result would have been different. With a little luck at least you can say you have the World Champion

• Like 1

It must be heart breaking to be a Wolves fan today The one thing you can take solace from is that with a fit Ty the result would have been different. With a little luck at least you can say you have the World Champion

I wouldn't say so. Reality was this was going to be uphill even with a full 1-7. Tai's injury was the final nail. The nature of play offs meaning peaking and having the right pieces at the right time, we had the right pieces until May 22nd. Birmingham deserved to win and have been the team of the year as far as making a side that looked about 6th place on paper onto one that is 30 heats away from the title. Edited by SteveEvans

I wouldn't say so. Reality was this was going to be uphill even with a full 1-7. Tai's injury was the final nail. The nature of play offs meaning peaking and having the right pieces at the right time, we had the right pieces until May 22nd. Birmingham deserved to win and have been the team of the year as far as making a side that looked about 6th place on paper onto one that is 30 heats away from the title.

True, but its no good harping back to earlier injuries in the season.

The facts are simple. Tai's injury was the killer, it doesn't matter if we still had Proctor and Thorsell, getting 7pts over 2 meetings from Tai's rides we would have lost anyway.

Had Tai not crashed with Gollob, he'd be World Champion already and Wolves would 95% certainly be in the playoff final.

The rest of the Wolves team did their jobs (bar Fred to an extent in the 2nd leg but it was all over by then) so in essence they did peak at the right time. Our reserves outscored theirs in both meetings. The second strings + Adam also scored more then they would normally do against Birmingham. An average Tai performance would have seen a fairly comfortable Wolves win.

Edited by BWitcher

Had Tai not crashed with Gollob, he'd be World Champion already and Wolves would 95% certainly be in the playoff final.

I think if you asked most non-Wolves fans prior to the play-offs, you would find that the majority thought that Wolves were the weakest team in the play-offs (with or without Tai) - which is probably why Brummies picked them (as well as the big pay-day). Having said that, I also thought that Swindon would beat Poole :sad:

With drastic changes due next season, it will mean all teams having to rebuild and Wolves will almost certainly have to release Tai or Fred and I can't see Tai going anywhere else and Fred will possibly spearhead another team. Coventry would be a good move but if he is in the GPs it may be hard to commit if there are more fixtures.

Wolverhampton will have a decent list of assets with low averages to call upon like Aspgren while Thorssell looks to be a star in the making while Ty Proctor hopefully comes back in the form he was showing before the Injury.

Wolves will look at bringing in a decent second heat leader and wouldn't be surprised if Bomber made the switch to Monmore Green.

I think if you asked most non-Wolves fans prior to the play-offs, you would find that the majority thought that Wolves were the weakest team in the play-offs (with or without Tai) - which is probably why Brummies picked them (as well as the big pay-day). Having said that, I also thought that Swindon would beat Poole :sad:

Correct, but I'm not talking about what happened before, I'm referring to what happened on track. The Wolves 2nd strings and reserves scored a LOT more pts than in previous encounters with Birmingham so they did raise their game.

7pts from Tai Woffindens replacements over 2 meetings simply could not be covered for in a side built with two big hitters.

Those are the breaks, Birmingham took advantage, no issues there.

I appreciate what your saying BW, but remember how much flack the poole fans got last season for saying injuries ruined their play off final?

Ward, for whatever reason, was missing and was the leagues star rider and would of been nailed on to score more than harris' 8 points

Pawlicki was averaging ten at home albeit from about four meetings but again there was nothing to suggest he wouldnt of scored more than the 5 points rr accumilated for him.

I remember shovvy getting loads of stick for suggesting the pirates were weakened which going on your theory suggests he was right

I appreciate what your saying BW, but remember how much flack the poole fans got last season for saying injuries ruined their play off final?

Ward, for whatever reason, was missing and was the leagues star rider and would of been nailed on to score more than harris' 8 points

Pawlicki was averaging ten at home albeit from about four meetings but again there was nothing to suggest he wouldnt of scored more than the 5 points rr accumilated for him.

I remember shovvy getting loads of stick for suggesting the pirates were weakened which going on your theory suggests he was right

Not making excuses Pinny, thats speedway. My only point is to those suggesting that the rest of the team didn't do their jobs, which in the main they did.

With drastic changes due next season, it will mean all teams having to rebuild and Wolves will almost certainly have to release Tai or Fred and I can't see Tai going anywhere else and Fred will possibly spearhead another team. Coventry would be a good move but if he is in the GPs it may be hard to commit if there are more fixtures.

Wolverhampton will have a decent list of assets with low averages to call upon like Aspgren while Thorssell looks to be a star in the making while Ty Proctor hopefully comes back in the form he was showing before the Injury.

Wolves will look at bringing in a decent second heat leader and wouldn't be surprised if Bomber made the switch to Monmore Green.

I can't see Freddie racing at Wolves nor indeed anywhere in the UK in League racing!! He's done his time valiantly, had the testimonial and probably won't fit within whatever the 2014 rules are!

Correct, but I'm not talking about what happened before, I'm referring to what happened on track. The Wolves 2nd strings and reserves scored a LOT more pts than in previous encounters with Birmingham so they did raise their game.

Considering how rubbish they were in the previous match at Birmingham, when Wolves were thrashed, that's not difficult!

Considering how rubbish they were in the previous match at Birmingham, when Wolves were thrashed, that's not difficult!

Actually, with the way the teams are built, it is quite difficult, although I accept what you say. There are previous meetings however where Wolves lost by only 2 at Brum, still with most the team not really contributing.

I can't see Freddie racing at Wolves nor indeed anywhere in the UK in League racing!! He's done his time valiantly, had the testimonial and probably won't fit within whatever the 2014 rules are!

So you are suggesting Holder, Ward, Woffy, Zagar, Andersen wont be either? :shock:

So you are suggesting Holder, Ward, Woffy, Zagar, Andersen wont be either? :shock:

Ward and holder will be at Poole when the points limit is raised to 50 for 2014.
  • Like 1

I actually don't think Holder or Ward will be at Poole next year. I think Woffy will be at Wolves - as World Champion it would be crazy for him not to be! Zagar maybe if the National Stadium is built and that was part of his deal. Andersen - who cares? I'm talking about top 'GP standard' riders!

• Like 1

I actually don't think Holder or Ward will be at Poole next year. I think Woffy will be at Wolves - as World Champion it would be crazy for him not to be! Zagar maybe if the National Stadium is built and that was part of his deal. Andersen - who cares? I'm talking about top 'GP standard' riders!

Saucer of milk at dissing Hans :P:D

Can see Ward so long as he still wants to.