British Speedway Forum
jim the whipper

Leicester 2014 . Elite

This can't be so.

We're told the racing is far much better in the PL and the teams more equal?

Well I think that we're being sold the EL venture by the promotion, partly on the basis that riders will be of a higher standard and therefore closer together on the track.

Time will tell

Now to change the subject.

After coming to watch the Lions practice the other week, I do hope that Max Clegg has spent a few or should I say a few days, fine tuning his starting.

Was anyone there on the start line to watch him, it made me cringe. He hopped around 3 feet then 2 feet followed by another hop and jump, by which time the other 3 lads would be part way around bend 2.

The one to impress me was Mads, after trying one or 2 things with his mechanics they at last got it right. He put together 3 or 4 good starts and gave his mechanic the nod who was standing on bend 2 and went round the track better than I have seen most riders tack to the track.

Perry was also impresive. Can't wait until Sunday to see how it goes. Think Wolves will win but it will be good to see how the Lions perform on thier first meeting.

• Like 1

After coming to watch the Lions practice the other week, I do hope that Max Clegg has spent a few or should I say a few days, fine tuning his starting.

Was anyone there on the start line to watch him, it made me cringe. He hopped around 3 feet then 2 feet followed by another hop and jump, by which time the other 3 lads would be part way around bend 2.

You mean he looked like exactly what he is; a 16 year old Novice, just starting out in the sport who for all intents and purposes has been unfairly thrust into the elite league limelight before he's anywhere near ready for it!

• Like 7

........weatherwatcher........ Was anyone there on the start line to watch him, it made me cringe. He hopped around 3 feet then 2 feet followed by another hop and jump, by which time the other 3 lads would be part way around bend 2.

That would be where he got his nickname 'Kangaroo Clegg' from then.

You mean he looked like exactly what he is; a 16 year old Novice, just starting out in the sport who for all intents and purposes has been unfairly thrust into the elite league limelight before he's anywhere near ready for it!

Here was me thinking they had a choice...

• Like 1

That's the trouble with 16 year olds...

'Its what youngsters do at that age'!! :D

• Like 1

The one to impress me was Mads, after trying one or 2 things with his mechanics they at last got it right. He put together 3 or 4 good starts and gave his mechanic the nod who was standing on bend 2 and went round the track better than I have seen most riders tack to the track.

Perry was also impresive. Can't wait until Sunday to see how it goes. Think Wolves will win but it will be good to see how the Lions perform on thier first meeting.

Based just on points scored against their opposite numbers on the other teams, riders 6 & 7 between them can score a maximum of 15 points per match, and a minimum of 2 - that's as long as they both finish each heat, and doesn't cater for any times they pick up additional points such as by finishing ahead of the other team's 2 or 4 (or their own 2 and 4!).

So, if they're going to "pull their weight" in terms of points contribution towards a win for the team, they are going to need to score on average at least 9 points between them (and of course riders 1-5 will have to do their stuff as well!). Anything less than that, will require riders 1-5 to hit above their weight.

If Leicester's reserves can't produce their average 9 points per match, will the 1-5 guys be able to make up the shortfall and score more than 36 between them?

I think it's a tough ask. maybe at home they can do it, but unlikely away. Perry & Clegg are going to be key riders to Leicester's winning or losing, and i think it's an unfair situation to put two such inexperienced riders into. But it's the way things are, unfortunately. Leicester didn't invent this new system, but they did choose the riders ahead of others and so they must be confident in them being able to produce the points - the question is when will that happen??

The key to this match could be Piotr Pawlicki, who 'may' not be able to ride due to Polish U-21 commitments.

If he rides, it will be a close match with a chance of an away win.

If he doesn't you have to fancy Leicester for all 3 pts.

Based just on points scored against their opposite numbers on the other teams, riders 6 & 7 between them can score a maximum of 15 points per match, and a minimum of 2 - that's as long as they both finish each heat, and doesn't cater for any times they pick up additional points such as by finishing ahead of the other team's 2 or 4 (or their own 2 and 4!).

So, if they're going to "pull their weight" in terms of points contribution towards a win for the team, they are going to need to score on average at least 9 points between them (and of course riders 1-5 will have to do their stuff as well!). Anything less than that, will require riders 1-5 to hit above their weight.

If Leicester's reserves can't produce their average 9 points per match, will the 1-5 guys be able to make up the shortfall and score more than 36 between them?

I think it's a tough ask. maybe at home they can do it, but unlikely away. Perry & Clegg are going to be key riders to Leicester's winning or losing, and i think it's an unfair situation to put two such inexperienced riders into. But it's the way things are, unfortunately. Leicester didn't invent this new system, but they did choose the riders ahead of others and so they must be confident in them being able to produce the points - the question is when will that happen??

I think this season will see some absolute shockers from the reserves and also some big surprises . not just Leicesters but all the elite teams reserves .

that's the nature of inexperience , the youngsters who will benefit most from this new idea will be the ones who are part of teams with a consistent top 5 who can carry them on the off nights and take the pressure off their points tally being so critical , some of the younger riders will take a while to settle into the more Insular world of Elite league , having spent their formative time In "team" surroundings it will take some adjustment getting used to being one of the seven , and your team captains main concern is how much he is being paid and will he make it in time for the airflight to his next paycheck rather than the welfare of his underlings , at the end of 2014 season some of the draft riders will have taken the step up in their stride and become better riders , but a lot more will be happy having experienced life at the top table to go back to the safety of the national league

• Like 3

I think this season will see some absolute shockers from the reserves and also some big surprises . not just Leicesters but all the elite teams reserves .

that's the nature of inexperience , the youngsters who will benefit most from this new idea will be the ones who are part of teams with a consistent top 5 who can carry them on the off nights and take the pressure off their points tally being so critical , some of the younger riders will take a while to settle into the more Insular world of Elite league , having spent their formative time In "team" surroundings it will take some adjustment getting used to being one of the seven , and your team captains main concern is how much he is being paid and will he make it in time for the airflight to his next paycheck rather than the welfare of his underlings , at the end of 2014 season some of the draft riders will have taken the step up in their stride and become better riders , but a lot more will be happy having experienced life at the top table to go back to the safety of the national league

Well spoken. I can see quite a few riders in the reserve positions being made to feel very uncomfortable within thier teams if they are week in week out losing races and costing the team valuable points.

I think some will be gone before the end of the season, if they are made to feel like they are letting down the side.

The reserve points should never have been made part of the teams scores. It should have been the points of the first 5 riders that went to making the teams point score, with the reserve point a seperate issue.

But it is to late now, unless the promoter decide, that is doing the teams league postion in jepardy.

It makes me wonder what are leagues have now become. Ok the youngsters need the races at a higher level.

We have the EL made up of top riders and PL and NL riders.

The PL made up of PL, EL, and NL riders.

The NL made up of NL and PL riders

And the MDL made up of young riders and those who have failed to make a mark in the Nl.

Racing was far more competative in the 60's and 70's. with far closer racing than we see at most meetings these days.

Some of the riders in the EL over the past few years have been a joke, and have only come over here to make a bob or 2 but then find they can't make the step up and most of them go back to what ever country they came from never to be seen again.

I just hope that this year works out. But I see a very hard time for the Lions this year, with 2 reserves who are well below the skill level of some of the other teams reserves. I think 1-5 may score well at home but not enough to make up from the loses of the 2 reserves. How long will they stay at BP for, if they fail to deliver the goods, at home and away on a weekly basis.

Can't see Max Clegg getting there this year, not sure about . He has the makings of a good rider, but it depends if he can do it fast enough

I know this is not about Leicester. But I think it would have been far better to have put the young reserves into the PL for the first year at least. I know they are trying to bring young riders on, but this is more about finances at the end of the day. Some of these lads would even struggle to geta win at reserve in the PL. I know they are riding againt other lads from the NL but the standard of the riders that have been given a reserve palcing a far apart, that quite a few of them could easily make it to PL level as reserve anyway.

Surely world speedway is not in such a terrible state that they can't fill places for 70 competative riders to make up the EL. To me Elite meens something special not a farse. It is the same with the PL is there any need for EL riders to go down to the PL to make up the numbers. I know they do it to earn the extra cash. But it make a mokery of the leagues when they are flitting from league to league.

I think we would have brought young riders on far better if the leagues where actually used as they should be a stepping stone to the next higher league.

As for the Lions, I can't see them making much of an impresion on the EL this year, it needed a stronger No.1.

But I supose this all boils down to money again. Not sure ifthe promoters where in a situation where they could have brought in one of the worlds top 10 riders to fill that slot. Hope we do well, not sure though if they can do it.

I know this is not about Leicester. But I think it would have been far better to have put the young reserves into the PL for the first year at least. I know they are trying to bring young riders on, but this is more about finances at the end of the day. Some of these lads would even struggle to geta win at reserve in the PL. I know they are riding againt other lads from the NL but the standard of the riders that have been given a reserve palcing a far apart, that quite a few of them could easily make it to PL level as reserve anyway.

Surely world speedway is not in such a terrible state that they can't fill places for 70 competative riders to make up the EL. To me Elite meens something special not a farse. It is the same with the PL is there any need for EL riders to go down to the PL to make up the numbers. I know they do it to earn the extra cash. But it make a mokery of the leagues when they are flitting from league to league.

I think we would have brought young riders on far better if the leagues where actually used as they should be a stepping stone to the next higher league.

As for the Lions, I can't see them making much of an impresion on the EL this year, it needed a stronger No.1.

But I supose this all boils down to money again. Not sure ifthe promoters where in a situation where they could have brought in one of the worlds top 10 riders to fill that slot. Hope we do well, not sure though if they can do it.

There is anothet thread 'Draft rider' where this is discussed and the PL promoters didn't want any part on it and then of course there were the protected assets. So if the scheme is to continue then teams will have to build up a young asset base. It maybe a dud season but the lpng term is the name game Edited by TMW

Well spoken. I can see quite a few riders in the reserve positions being made to feel very uncomfortable within thier teams if they are week in week out losing races and costing the team valuable points.

I think some will be gone before the end of the season, if they are made to feel like they are letting down the side.

The reserve points should never have been made part of the teams scores. It should have been the points of the first 5 riders that went to making the teams point score, with the reserve point a seperate issue.

But it is to late now, unless the promoter decide, that is doing the teams league postion in jepardy.

It makes me wonder what are leagues have now become. Ok the youngsters need the races at a higher level.

We have the EL made up of top riders and PL and NL riders.

The PL made up of PL, EL, and NL riders.

The NL made up of NL and PL riders

And the MDL made up of young riders and those who have failed to make a mark in the Nl.

Racing was far more competative in the 60's and 70's. with far closer racing than we see at most meetings these days.

Some of the riders in the EL over the past few years have been a joke, and have only come over here to make a bob or 2 but then find they can't make the step up and most of them go back to what ever country they came from never to be seen again.

I just hope that this year works out. But I see a very hard time for the Lions this year, with 2 reserves who are well below the skill level of some of the other teams reserves. I think 1-5 may score well at home but not enough to make up from the loses of the 2 reserves. How long will they stay at BP for, if they fail to deliver the goods, at home and away on a weekly basis.

Can't see Max Clegg getting there this year, not sure about . He has the makings of a good rider, but it depends if he can do it fast enough

I've read some crackpot ideas in the past but the notion of the reserve riders scores not counting has to be one of the most ridiculous I have come across.

Also your ridiculous claim that the racing was more competitive and far closer in the 'old days'. It wasn't.

• Like 1