British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Coventry V Leicester (home & Away) 20&25th Oct

Could not agree more in terms of the disparity between the two announced line-ups !

Was really looking forward to these couple of matches - rekindle some old time rivalry etc but heyy ... Lions team has three riders all with higher averages than our No 1 - and there is a whopping 4 points plus between the two teams in averages terms. Now a fit Linus Sundstrom or maybe a guest on a similar average ( Bomber, Cook or Schlein maybe ) instead of young James Sarjeant and would be about right.

Neil - what possessed Bees to take on a team with three current Elite League Number 1's in it against a hopelessly mismatched septet who will do well to get within 10 points loss at home and gods know what away ?

Loads of Bees fans will stay away jus tto make sure they are not roundly smashed home and away this weekend I fear .......... golden opportunity wasted !!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Neil, who came up with the bees side? Looking very weak without even a number 1 yet Leicester have 3 number 1s all over 8pts. shouldnt there have been a fairer point limit

the big question is why on earth have we got that waste of space Barker riding for us after the way he behaved start of the season. one of the least popular riders at Brandon

also Neil an even bigger question is WHY NO BOMBER?

gonna give this one a miss and wait until the Brandonapolis the following week I think

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 1

Well, being as he has posted enough times on this thread, perhaps Neil Watson can reply to these concerns.

So Neil:

Why the disparity between the teams?

Don't you think the Bees fans deserved more than turning up at Brandon expecting to be given a good hiding yet again?

Even using the current riders it's not hard to sort out. Leicester should use James Sargeant (who rode for them up until a few months ago) and Bees should use Hansen. This gives Bees an average of 40.73 and Leicester an average of 39.69. Pretty close.

If the idea is for Bees to track a team based around the supposed 2014 points limit, then Leicester should also build to the same rules. They should simply replace Kasprzak, K. Bjerre or Andersen with an EL 3 pointer. That would make the teams roughly equal.

Like Robbobee, I was really looking forward to Sunday but, to be honest, I probably will not bother going now. Once you take into account the fact that Barker will have his eye on his play-off final the next day (and don't even get me started on his inclusion) and the fact that Tungate is, I suspect, using the meeting to gauge his fitness for the same meeting, makes the Bees line up a truly sorry state of affairs.

Edited by G the Bee
  • Like 2

If anything i blame Leicester for using 3 number 1's, why are they doing it? The Bees team is the strength i thought it would be and if anything the Bees bottom 4 are stronger than the Leicester lower half. Dont really get the outrage from a few, its a challenge that will be closely fought (at Brandon at least).

Edited by woz01

Always Leicester, always Leicesters fault... Come on its an end of season friendly for gods sake.....

Why do you think its Leicesters fault. ..... ?? Check facts first before bad mouthing Leicester....

I was under the impression that Cov werr gonna be tracking Bomber, that would have evened it up nicely. .... perhaps that's the spanner in the works that's unbalanced the sides???

I know that but LionsDen obviously doesn't. :wink: I actually usually agree with his posts but not in this case as I think he's being rather harsh. Not like a Leicester fan to have a moan. :lol:

I did know that Gemini. It was more of a general observation about the way speedway is these days and fans having to put up with so many guests. This season has been appalling for it and the Bees may be using 'assets' but that doesn't make it a Bees team does it? Last time I looked Fisher, Barker and Tungate were all riding for other EL teams, which makes them guests, and Sargeant is a guest NL rider, albeit one from the Storm. Therefore, and this is my main point, for the promotions of both clubs to try and sell this to the public as a Bees v Lions fixture that rekindles those rivalries from days gone by is a joke. I used to love those meetings and was as passionate as anyone about beating the Bees but this is nothing like that and it's false to sell it as such in my opinion. To read the press releases you'd think it was Wilson v Boocock and Collins v Olsen all over again!!!

I'm not against them having a fixture of course (and Leicester certainly need to fulfill season ticket obligations for one thing!) but it's really more akin to an end of season open meeting than a once great rivalry between two historic clubs. This is nothing like it used to be with EIGHT guests included just to make it happen rather than anything like a meaningful Lions v Bees match. I just think they should've waited until (if) they ride against each in a competitive fixture that might actually mean something rather than this somewhat 'forced' challenge meeting only made possible by the use of a staggering amount of guests. Just my view of course and I expect there's plenty who are looking forward to it. Good for them but as a Lions fan of yesteryear I have no intention of bothering with either meeting.

• Like 2

I did know that Gemini. It was more of a general observation about the way speedway is these days and fans having to put up with so many guests. This season has been appalling for it and the Bees may be using 'assets' but that doesn't make it a Bees team does it? Last time I looked Fisher, Barker and Tungate were all riding for other EL teams, which makes them guests, and Sargeant is a guest NL rider, albeit one from the Storm. Therefore, and this is my main point, for the promotions of both clubs to try and sell this to the public as a Bees v Lions fixture that rekindles those rivalries from days gone by is a joke. I used to love those meetings and was as passionate as anyone about beating the Bees but this is nothing like that and it's false to sell it as such in my opinion. To read the press releases you'd think it was Wilson v Boocock and Collins v Olsen all over again!!!

I'm not against them having a fixture of course (and Leicester certainly need to fulfill season ticket obligations for one thing!) but it's really more akin to an end of season open meeting than a once great rivalry between two historic clubs. This is nothing like it used to be with EIGHT guests included just to make it happen rather than anything like a meaningful Lions v Bees match. I just think they should've waited until (if) they ride against each in a competitive fixture that might actually mean something rather than this somewhat 'forced' challenge meeting only made possible by the use of a staggering amount of guests. Just my view of course and I expect there's plenty who are looking forward to it. Good for them but as a Lions fan of yesteryear I have no intention of bothering with either meeting.

So if it was Leicester's premier team against Coventry EL team you would go ?

No Bomber in the bees side due to a clash of fixtures, he was already booked in another meeting.

When Glyn Taylor was interviewed before last sundays meeting he was asked about the sides for this weekend & said Coventry were going to be using Nicholls, Zengota & Harris, so don't know why the situation changed between sunday & the sides being officially announced on Tuesday, would have thought if there was a fixture clash for Harris that would have been known about before last sunday.

I don't know what the fixture clash is but must admit to being surprised that Bomber was down to ride for Coventry originally being as the much more important play-off final is the following day. Still I suppose with a 21 point lead it's Poole's anyway. :neutral:

Fair enough LionsDen you are entitled to your opinion and decision not to bother but I'd be interested as well in your response to nightshift's query. Coventry have Roynon and Robson both out injured so would have to get replacements for them. Who would you suggest if not Coventry assets? Personally I'm really looking forward to seeing the matches because it is something different and a change from the usual teams that come to Brandon. I'm even going to Beaumont Park for the return, which will be my 4th visit this season, fully expecting Leicester to have won at Brandon earlier and rubbing salt in the wound by defeating Bees easily again in the evening. :lol:

So if it was Leicester's premier team against Coventry EL team you would go ?

I would have thought a core of 5 Lions and a couple of EL star guests would have been enough to keep it looking like a 'beefed up' Lions team rather than a guests select ala the Belle Vue Aces match. I think we would have reasonably held our own against a Bees team as well as giving us fans a sense of pride in 'our' team. Why isn't Magnus Karlsson riding. I'm with Lionsden in that irrespective of how it's being sold i can't see the old needle being there between these two select teams. It appears to be just the usual manufactured speedway challenge that gives the sport the poor name it probably deserves. Then again, having said that, quite looking forward to it as you can't deny it's a decent line up of riders!

• Like 1

I would prefer Lions to have their normal five riders as well, plus a couple of E.L. guests, not Kenneth Bjerre, K.K. and Andersen so they've got three number 1's because Coventry are going to get slaughtered. :shock: I'm probably the only one quite okay with the fact the 'old needle' won't be there as I would prefer a nice friendly match. We'll leave all that until Leicester are in the Elite League. :wink:

I would prefer Lions to have their normal five riders as well, plus a couple of E.L. guests, not Kenneth Bjerre, K.K. and Andersen so they've got three number 1's because Coventry are going to get slaughtered. :shock: I'm probably the only one quite okay with the fact the 'old needle' won't be there as I would prefer a nice friendly match. We'll leave all that until Leicester are in the Elite League. :wink:

What on earth will you do then Gem? :o:P

• Like 1

Good question but I think 30 years supporting the Bees will be too strong to break. Plus K.K. riding for Leicester (if the rumours are true) will be enough to tip the balance in Coventry's favour. :lol:

• Like 2

Good question but I think 30 years supporting the Bees will be too strong to break. Plus K.K. riding for Leicester (if the rumours are true) will be enough to tip the balance in Coventry's favour. :lol:

Aaaw Poor KK ;) ..I did read on a Poole thread earlier that he's rumoured to be going back there. Silly season alert :D