British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Coventry V Leicester (home & Away) 20&25th Oct

I did know that Gemini. It was more of a general observation about the way speedway is these days and fans having to put up with so many guests. This season has been appalling for it and the Bees may be using 'assets' but that doesn't make it a Bees team does it? Last time I looked Fisher, Barker and Tungate were all riding for other EL teams, which makes them guests, and Sargeant is a guest NL rider, albeit one from the Storm. Therefore, and this is my main point, for the promotions of both clubs to try and sell this to the public as a Bees v Lions fixture that rekindles those rivalries from days gone by is a joke. I used to love those meetings and was as passionate as anyone about beating the Bees but this is nothing like that and it's false to sell it as such in my opinion. To read the press releases you'd think it was Wilson v Boocock and Collins v Olsen all over again!!!

I'm not against them having a fixture of course (and Leicester certainly need to fulfill season ticket obligations for one thing!) but it's really more akin to an end of season open meeting than a once great rivalry between two historic clubs. This is nothing like it used to be with EIGHT guests included just to make it happen rather than anything like a meaningful Lions v Bees match. I just think they should've waited until (if) they ride against each in a competitive fixture that might actually mean something rather than this somewhat 'forced' challenge meeting only made possible by the use of a staggering amount of guests. Just my view of course and I expect there's plenty who are looking forward to it. Good for them but as a Lions fan of yesteryear I have no intention of bothering with either meeting.

Yes. I suppose we will need to wait for the league fixtures for meaningful meetings. However the way the EL does seem to run it does seem to be a taste of things to come as there are a lot of guests from what I can see. Especially if you want European riders. I am pleased that the promotion to the EL if it happens, shows sign of stability and longevity but worry for those getting excited about the meetings at BP being GP re runs and from what I've seen at Cov this season, I haven't been to any other EL fixtures this year, that is very much not the case. and we end up with a whole new line of moaning :neutral: I hope they go into it with open minds

Niels Kristian Iversen replaces Rohan Tungate in the Coventry line up on Sunday :t:

YAY! That's more like it :approve:

Certainly is and makes the two teams a bit more equal. Suppose there will be some more moaning now as he isn't a Coventry asset. :lol:

• Like 1

Thats more like it. Love watching NKI and would have loved him as a Cov rider.

Really hoping this horrible rain goes away as not looking good for tomorrow or the Brandonapolis.

Niels Kristian Iversen replaces Rohan Tungate in the Coventry line up on Sunday :t:

Looking at the weather forecasts, they may as well announce Nikki Pedersen in place of James Seargeant for all the use it will be!

Seriously, with the line-up that has been put in place i do wonder whether both promoters will be looking for an easy way out with the weather forecasts as they are. I'm guessing the line-ups pretty much require the promoters getting their bumper crowds and whereas thanks to the local rivalry i think that was pretty much nailed on in last weeks weather I can't see that being guaranteed if it's wet and miserable all weekend. Looks like a financial disaster to me if it's goes ahead and the weather is anything like what's being forecast.

Edited by volty

Really hope both meetings go ahead. If not hope they are restaged as looking forward to them

If the meetings go ahead, will KK be riding? He has a meeting in Poland tonight and therefore it will be a push for him to get to Coventry for a noon start.

Really hope this rain goes away. What a great line up of riders!! Something that will really interest me is how these top riders get on at BP ? I have spoken to DH on a few occasions, and he has always said that better quality riders would find different lines around BP. Well will be interesting to see if these top riders can do it? Also see if they can break Cooks track record?? Which he lowers every time he comes to BP.

• Like 1

The "rain all day" scenario/forecast is not nailed on, and is the "worse" case scenrio..... There are a number of factors that are on a knife edge, and depending which side of the knife they fall, will decide the final weather pattern for tomorrow..

The real damage has probably already been done with the rainfall totals we've had over the last couple or three days.. The weather this time of year is not conducive to drying surface water quickly. If the track's had already been prepped with the forecast as its been for the last few days, then alot of the water would/should have run-off the tracks; and not soaked in ish....

Hopefully if we get the "best forecast" tomorrow, which is sunshine and heavy showers am, and cloudy, windy with the odd shower pm, we may just be ok....

• Like 1

Really hope this rain goes away. What a great line up of riders!! Something that will really interest me is how these top riders get on at BP ? I have spoken to DH on a few occasions, and he has always said that better quality riders would find different lines around BP. Well will be interesting to see if these top riders can do it? Also see if they can break Cooks track record?? Which he lowers every time he comes to BP.

It certainly will be interesting to see what happens when better riders appear, bearing in mind they will also be riding against better riders. I'm amazed David Hemsley isn't a compulsive gambler with some of the random decisions he makes and opinions he has. His opinion on EL standard making the track work being the one of his most ill thought out, only slightly behind his decision to stick with the track shape. IMO of course!

Interesting you mention Craig Cook in this post. His performances this year put him near to top class elite standard and he certainly would be in the top 4 or 5 riders around BP from all the riders riding in the UK this year, irrespective. IMO. I've mentioned it before but the intersting thing about him was the way last time he was at BP he won 4 races by almost if not the complete length of the straight but took 4 laps to get past a returning from injury Alex Edberg in his other. He probably finished that race at least 4 seconds slower than his other races and only got past when pressure finally told on Edberg and he made a mistake. That's was a rider literally in a different league and class who couldn't get by.

Mick.

Edited by volty