British Speedway Forum
JamesM09

Kent Kings 2014

Oh dear, you do not know Grasstrack do you! For one, no brakes! They used to have to have one in centre meetings, but no more. Some have a 2 speed gearbox in the 500's but some have just a countershaft and those that have a 2 speed, tend to leave it in 2nd and use it as a countershaft. As for 'often undulating', not sure what you mean. I can only assume, you mean bumpy, some can be, but in the main they are flat and that is why they have rear suspension. I suggest you attend a Grasstrack meeting as it sounds like you have never been! I am not doing Grasstrack riders a dis-service, Scott Nichols, Simon Wigg, Kelvin Tatum, Jeremy Doncaster, all started on grass. I think I am right in saying, so did the Collins brothers!

Not using them is not the same as not having them. Thank you for the advice but I have attended

Not using them is not the same as not having them. Thank you for the advice but I have attended

Whatever, take it from me, a good Grasstrack rider, with the right motivation and desire will convert to Speedway. Grasstrack is a great place for an aspiring Speedway rider to start and hone his skills. As I said earlier in this thread, for some 'strange' reason, Speedway supporters are sniffy about Grasstrack. I remember seeing Mark Loram at the Collier Street, boarded track, Kent, full lock, coming out of a corner and yes, on a Grasstrack bike, no brakes, stuck in 2nd gear on his 2 speed gearbox, brilliant!

Ray

As a way of increasing the value for money element of speedway is it feasible to make a small grasstrack in the inside of a speedway track suitable for juniors such that after say every third speedway race you could hold two junior grasstrack races?

What happens with all the dirt that gets thrown onto the speedway track ?

Ray

As a way of increasing the value for money element of speedway is it feasible to make a small grasstrack in the inside of a speedway track suitable for juniors such that after say every third speedway race you could hold two junior grasstrack races?

I think you are having a 'pop'. I also think Speedway fans of today forget that many Speedway riders in the 60's and 70's and probably before then, used to race Grasstrack on Sunday's. Especially the old National League riders when their racing was just the UK. Probably to earn a bit more dosh and to keep up race fitness. Sadly, it appears the 'valuable' connection is virtually severed with todays fans, which in my opinion, is Speedways loss.

What happens with all the dirt that gets thrown onto the speedway track ?

Well according to someone on here, Grasstrack is nothing like Speedway, so the grass and dirt will stay on the track, so not a concern! So don't fret JTS!

Honestly Ray I was being serious. I am talking about a junior sized track. Its extra races, a bit of variety, might attract young grass trackers to speedway, cheap as a time filler. Is it practical?

While I find debate on grass track racing and its merits absorbingly interesting in no way is it anything to do with Kent Kings 2014.

May I respectfully suggest that the debate continues in what I think is its right BSF place which is under International Speedway and Grasstrack and Sidecar Speedway.

International Speedway and Grasstrack and Sidecar Speedway

Well according to someone on here, Grasstrack is nothing like Speedway, so the grass and dirt will stay on the track, so not a concern! So don't fret JTS!

Don't tell me the dirt is different aswell. but I do admit compared to say......Basketball Grasstrack is the similar to speedway.

Edited by TMW

It's good to see the Kent Kings website was back in action on Sunday (November 17 2013).

While I find debate on grass track racing and its merits absorbingly interesting in no way is it anything to do with Kent Kings 2014.

May I respectfully suggest that the debate continues in what I think is its right BSF place which is under International Speedway and Grasstrack and Sidecar Speedway.

I love grasstrack.

Yes, it's a great motorcycle track formula in its own right. Some really great speedway names have been its 500cc championship winner over the years.

Watch Grasstrack after watching Speedway and it can seem a little mundane IMO, could explain the attitude some Speedway fans take towards Grasstrack. The disciplines are similar however, perhaps not exactly the same but similar, anyone saying otherwise is being ignorant.

Grasstrack is not a feeder sport to Speedway, it is a sport in its own right, however Kent in particular is/has been a hotbed for Grasstrack and riders making the switch onto shale. Names such as Paul Hurry, Harland Cook, the Basebys, Barry Burchatt (unfortunately retired due to an injury sustained grasstracking) and I'm sure there's lots I've missed.

As such it may be something for the Kings to tap into in future for potential riders. For 2014 I'd go with Coles and Kingston though. On a Paul Hurry note, anyone know if he is still racing? Would come into the National League on a 10.86 average if you convert his last EL average from 2010. ;)

May i suggest Gustix, that you put yourself forward as a Moderator, you seem to enjoy visiting the various BSF threads, and enjoy directing us lesser mortals to the correct Threads, Im sure you would find the moderators job enthralling.

Edited by greyhoundp

May i suggest Gustix, that you put yourself forward as a Moderator, you seem to enjoy visiting the various BSF threads, and enjoy directing us lesser mortals to the correct Threads, Im sure you would find the moderators job enthralling.

I do enjoy visiting the various BSF threads but would not enjoy being a BSF moderator and have no interest in such a task. Additionally, I don't think such a proposition would be well received in many quarters anyway?