British Speedway Forum
Phil

No Sky Or League Sponsorship Money Etc...

I disagree, We need super star riders.

The likes of Ward, Woffinden and Holder need to stay in the UK at all costs.

They are the ones who draw crowds, Get people talking.

It would have been better if we hadn't allowed them in the League in the first place . then the elite league would be needing British riders .

I wasn't aware that the People's Republic of Scunthorpe had seceded from the UK.

Just my thoughts.For good close racing of which the sport needs to keep fans wanting to watch, you need EVERY club to be able to field at least 2 top line riders for one reason or another this is not going to happen.(ie cost not wanting to ride over here etc .)So let them all go.Hopefully form a 12 team league.Introduce a wage cap, meet twice home and away with no doubleing up.Have riders like Harris,King,Nicholls etc as your top men.Then offer the better riders in the Prem league a little more money than they can earn in said league to encourage them to move leagues. Have 6 men teams so that you don't need as many riders with there being less riders to fill team places.The idea of all this is to hopefully form teams that the riders from nos 1 to 6 don't have a massive gap in ability like we have now and in hope create closer racing.As I said earlier if things are to change we all have our own ideas of how we would like things to go these are mine.

Good post and I agree with it apart from the bit about having 6 riders per team because we all know how that will end up - rider replacement and only 5 riders. :neutral:

• Like 1

I think it was related to the comments that Woffy might not be racing here next year & not that he is a foreigner.

Too true Gemini

The only way you will get the likes of Pedersen, Hancock, Gollob and Hampel to ride in Britain again is to have a maximum of 18 matches and all on a set night. Trouble is that this country can't afford to pay riders like these unless they double the entrance fee and get crowds of over 2000 at least which isn't going to happen.

You will not attract new fans if tickets are over £30 and you won't find sponsors willing to put in a six figure sum if they are not getting the media coverage to compensate for such an outlay of money.

Plus Matt Ford or CVS will not want to have just 9 meetings a season and the lower riders would have to double up to make it worthwhile which means half a team would be doubling up riders who may not be available for some meetings and with such a strong line up they would need a minimum wage for each meeting knowing they can't rely on just points money.

The time has come when we have to say that we are no longer a major league compared to other countries and we must make the product on offer one that will see tracks making money even if it means the top riders are Bomber or Scott. At least this would mean a more balanced line up where a reserve can beat a number one even on an away track.

Maybe one solution is for all tracks to be one league and tracks that wants to hold EL meetings would hold them on a set night and the other tracks would hold another event to make up fixtures if they needed too. Frankly I would see the next season as being a step closer to moving to one big league in 2015.

There was a fierce debate and in the end, after much heated debate, it was decided to have Hob Nobs rather than Custard Creams at the coffee breaks (coffee having been voted in by a casting vote from the chairman) :)

I believe there was one South Coast promoter who could afford a secret supply of his own Hob Nobs in case the others ganged up on him and voted for custard creams. Two others threatened not to take part because they were promised Ginger Nuts and wanted an independent body to make a decision on the choice of biscuits.

On a more serious note the two biggest events to affect British Speedway in the past twenty years are the rise of the Polish League, once the shackles of communism were removed, and secondly the increase in the number of GPs. Financially we can't compete with Poland but we did have Friday and Saturday tracks where the riders could earn a few bob. Since we now have a GP every other week it's no longer practical to run in the Elite League on one of those nights so these tracks have moved to midweek where they obviously don't attract the same number of spectators. Of these two I would say the GPs have had the biggest affect as no Elite league track raced on a Sunday anyway so that didn't affect anyone riding in Poland.

The suggestion that this is just an Elite League problem and nothing to do with the Premier League is a bit short sighted. If the Elite League was to fold what would happen to the clubs, no real Speedway fan would want a club to close down so they would apply to join the Premier League which would then by default become the top league. As riders developed they would qualify for the GPs and want every other Fri/Sat off so we'd be back to square one. I really have no idea how this conundrum can be solved, lots of fans have put forward suggestions on this forum all of them worthy of consideration, but equally some other fans would be thinking "If that happens I'm not going anymore" The wrong thing is for the BSPA to do nothing and let things get worse but doing the right thing might just prove to be very tricky.

9 matches not enough.

How about a squad system?

Example, team uses Hancock and a 3 pointer for 9 home matches, two 6 pointers for the other 9. Its a bit clunky I admit but you can get top names in without cutting down on dates.

I don't get the focus on top riders! Value for money is what the BSPA should be looking at and not just tinkering with the rules as they have during the Sky sponsorship period. I think the Sky sponsorship has made promoters complacent and losing them will be a kick up the backside they need! Cutting costs is important and it makes sense that they look at ways of reducing these - air fares, fuel costs, points money etc.

At the end of the day - if they just tinker they will lose more fans and fail to attract new ones!

• Like 4

9 matches not enough.

How about a squad system?

Example, team uses Hancock and a 3 pointer for 9 home matches, two 6 pointers for the other 9. Its a bit clunky I admit but you can get top names in without cutting down on dates.

Why should a star rider like Greg get to ride just the home meetings ?

How would the 6 point riders make a living if they only get to ride the away meetings ?

Steve you now have to see more than ever how the TNT Plan I have been on about for years is needed now if there is going to be any sort of top quality riders still riding in Britain or any chance of SKY staying on board with the much needed backing.

I don't get the focus on top riders! Value for money is what the BSPA should be looking at and not just tinkering with the rules as they have during the Sky sponsorship period. I think the Sky sponsorship has made promoters complacent and losing them will be a kick up the backside they need! Cutting costs is important and it makes sense that they look at ways of reducing these - air fares, fuel costs, points money etc.

At the end of the day - if they just tinker they will lose more fans and fail to attract new ones!

I agree. What British speedway needs is fans that are new to the sport. What they will want is a well-priced, enjoyable product.

I genuinely believe that even if every GP rider was in the EL next season gates would not rise dramatically for a sustained period of time.

Edited by Kester
  • Like 1

The solution to the EL's woes are relatively simple.Have an independent body to run the sport and not just a handful of people that pull the strings.This independent body would be paid for by getting rid of the Russells and all their cronies,who cream off 20% from EVERY tracks Sky money.In real terms these parasites take well over half the Sky money.For doing what exactly?.This is a fact.I know.Last week I "bumped into" a ex high ranking official from a EL club and we had a chat.He confirmed what I already knew.The sports golden years,which I know as being the 70-80's was not governed by 2/3 people but a collective who were only interested in the good of the sport,not their own selfish ends.

• Like 2

The solution to the EL's woes are relatively simple.Have an independent body to run the sport and not just a handful of people that pull the strings.This independent body would be paid for by getting rid of the Russells and all their cronies,who cream off 20% from EVERY tracks Sky money.In real terms these parasites take well over half the Sky money.For doing what exactly?.This is a fact.I know.Last week I "bumped into" a ex high ranking official from a EL club and we had a chat.He confirmed what I already knew.The sports golden years,which I know as being the 70-80's was not governed by 2/3 people but a collective who were only interested in the good of the sport,not their own selfish ends.

Don't sugar coat it :wink:

I think parasites is a bit strong but the BSPA agreed to the deal so what does that say about them? I'm not a Tango brothers fan but they are successful businessmen and were instrumental in setting up the sky deal with the BSPA support

Just a thought, and forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

What about pay per view speedway? Would the lack of speedway being broadcast openly (media subscription excluded) increase the crowds?

Just a thought, and forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

What about pay per view speedway? Would the lack of speedway being broadcast openly (media subscription excluded) increase the crowds?

There is a good thread about it here.

Common sense would suggest that having your product beamed into millions of households would boost crowds, but this obviously hasn't happened. So maybe less speedway on TV might encourage people off their sofas?

.....pandorum......

The sport needs to get back to basics.

Weekly speedway, weekend racing, teams of comparable ability to produce decent racing on decent surfaces at a decent price. VFM and decent promotion and presentation. New stars will arise as they always did. Forget GP riders and forget big stars as we can't afford them.

Become insular and invest in British riders and those foreign riders who commit to UK racing.

If only promoters would take notice it would be quite simple to turn things around! They won't though will they? Same old. same old and struggle on for yet another season losing more and more fans. But all's well with the sport because Ford will be able to put together a good team and Poole will be champions again.

• Like 1