British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Good post. Though I don't thnk Kings Lynn have a cat in hells chance of getting those two together as they are the pick of the riders. One yes, two no chance. The reserves will be allocated, one decent, one not so experienced. Reserves win meetings and those two together would be 8 points advantage over 2 heats.

The thing is that King's Lynn have spent time, effort and money developing both Lewis Kerr & Robert lambert, with there policy of bringing on riders. If you are going to allocate your numbers 6 & 7 on a whim, then you might as well do it for all riders. There is also a concern that riders who have very promising futures will be allocated to tracks which will do absolutley nothing for their long term careers, and eventually jepoardise their careers, and in turn the future of British Speedway in the long term

• Like 3

PL riders under a certain limit will also be included in the 'draft'.

This is getting more dodgy all the time.

Are we now to believe that Morris and Vatcher are going to pick a pool of low average PL riders and NL riders, and these get allocated to clubs?

I can see a lot of scope for allegations of favouritism if it's done like that.

What if they select a 19-year-old with a 3.89 average, but don't include the 17-year-old with a 3.99 average?

Surely the way to do it should have been to let clubs sign a top 5 with an average below 32, and then sign two reserves who must be British, Under 23, and with an average below the No.5

• Like 3

If the rule was something along the lines of any rider under 25 who has competed in the NL and has a PL average less than 5 or 6 gets put into the pool then it would be a great idea.

If it was any current NL rider, even though I am very keen to see British riders helped I don't think it would be doing them any real favours, I also don't believe the rule would last long.

• Like 3

Many on here have been crowing for Brits to be in the team at reserve. The BSPA have obliged.

The result? Moan, moan. bloody moan. People on here were saying no more rubbish foreign 3 and 4 point journeyman taking up places where Brits could be used. The BSPA obliged. Moan, moan, bloody moan.

When? Show me a post where you have said that.

You are missing the main point of the argument Steve. People are not against Brits at reserve, people are against the fact it is in most cases non-competitive NL riders. The reserve berths should be for any young British rider, not just those in the NL.

I just can't see how any system of rider allocation can work.

What say do the riders have? I can see a few buying into this, but certainly not all of them.

CAN'T just assume it's SKY who are to potentially provide TV coverage...

Whatever tv broadcast it is at least it's extra income to the clubs that they did not budget in this year

If the rule was something along the lines of any rider under 25 who has competed in the NL and has a PL average less than 5 or 6 gets put into the pool then it would be a great idea.

If it was any current NL rider, even though I am very keen to see British riders helped I don't think it would be doing them any real favours, I also don't believe the rule would last long.

Very good point Vince, that would help British PL riders and good NL riders who are limited in numbers. Also it gets round any EU rules that most other countries ignore anyway.

Agree with concept and cannot understand all of the negative comment. Sure there's lots to be clarified including qualifying riders and who goes where, but its great to see the young Brits being given opportunities that other countries have given to there kids for some time.

Not just restricted to NL riders. PL riders who are young and on a low average also qualify.

If the concept had been one British youngster per team as a graded reserve while still allowing room for middle-order riders and the other reserve to swop places during the season as usual on their averages, then I could agree with the concept as there would be just about enough talented-enough British youngsters to give the project a chance of succeeding.

But making it 2 British youngsters per team as graded reserves means I can't remotely see how this project will stand up in practice over a whole Elite League season, especially one expanded to 36 meetings instead of the recent 28.

There were plenty of discussions on here last night about who would make the cut for the top-20 National League riders given the BSPA's own post-AGM press release yesterday evening ... Steve's view that the qualification is a bit wider doesn't actually make much difference to who's eligible.

Having had a look at the end-of-2013 greensheets for both the Elite & Premier Leagues, I'd reckon the only 2 extra riders (not already in the Elite League) that Steve's qualification would play in are Kyle Newman and Jason Garrity.

Kyle Howarth and Ashley Birks would be the most borderline cases of riders already in the Elite League who could be graded if the qualification is stretched a little bit further ... Howarth's a bit younger but it's messy when you look at their averages because Birks is higher in the PL but Howarth is higher in the EL !! (Birks 3.06 & 7.30 / Howarth 4.24 & 6.86).

After that, among the Brits already in the Elite League, I doubt we can really count the likes of Josh Auty or Richard Lawson as "young" any more while Richie Worrall's 5.78 is surely too high for him to be graded.

So instead of last night's attempts to list the top-20 National League riders needed to fill all the Elite Leagure reserve spaces, maybe we should be settling for needing the top-16 or top-18 of those lists last night ... even then, that still means using quite a few riders who've already proved they're barely good enough (at best) to be a Premier League reserve.

Yet now we're expecting them to add a 36-meeting Elite League season into the level of commitment to the sport they feel they can make (or afford) ... the notion from some of the most optimistic folk on here that most of these youngsters will benefit mechanically from any new TV-money is ridiculously laughable as they'll be way behind the basic bills in the queue for what happens to such money (if indeed, it happens at all).

Meanwhile, we're expecting Elite League spectators to all chant the mantra "so what if plenty of them are nowhere near good enough, they're plucky young Brits so we don't mind paying Elite League prices to watch them" ... again, ridiculously laughable.

I want speedway to be as constructive as possible in trying to dig itself out of its current troubles .... but 2 young Brits per team as graded reserves in the Elite League is utter madness and I'll be amazed if it doesn't disintegrate as a project by midway through the 2014 season.

By the way, given the struggles several Elite clubs have had in recent seasons to balance their books for a 28-meeting season despite having the previous level of Sky money coming in, how the hell are those clubs going to cope with a 36-meeting season even if they're saving wages/expenses with these graded reserves ? !! ... don't forget, their 4 extra home meetings are mostly going to be against the teams from whom they least fancied a 2nd-visit in the 28-meeting format because that unbalanced fixture-list was tilted whenever possible in favour of giving each team its full quota of local derbies ... hence moving up to 36 meetings means a whole load of financially unattractive extra action against distant opposition !!

• Like 2

Any mention of getting rid of the JOKE of double points.No I thought not,Is it anything to do with Sky perhaps renewing their contract and Neil having orgasms about the prospect of a DOUBLE ride. :sad:

I wonder how many NL riders were asked if they wanted the opportunity to ride BL in 2014.

I guess not many to be honest - :o

I magine giving a 18 year old NL based in Cornwall (holding down a full time job ) the opportunity to ride for Belle Vue BL side in 2014.

No Brainer! ;)

• Like 2

Lets just say now that alot relys on the National League over the coming seasons. Ridersa are needed for the EL then we need to start brining in the young youngsters into the national league quicker and make it a more attractive sport to participate in!

What a set of moaners on here! Just trying to nit-pick and invent snags. Tai likes it and so do I. It has come in and you have no option but to like it or stay away. If it produces some future internationals it will have been a good idea and if it doesn't....It was worth a try.

• Like 1

I wouldn't really call it nit picking.

There are several well put points here as to why it is a ludicrous idea and why the whole thing won't work.

I can't even see that it's an idea even "worth a try".

• Like 1

What a set of moaners on here! Just trying to nit-pick and invent snags. Tai likes it and so do I. It has come in and you have no option but to like it or stay away. If it produces some future internationals it will have been a good idea and if it doesn't....It was worth a try.

Is what Tai Woffinden comments to be the definitive future for UK speedway opinion? Not those whose cash makes the turnstiles jingle? :lol:

I wouldn't really call it nit picking.

There are several well put points here as to why it is a ludicrous idea and why the whole thing won't work.

I can't even see that it's an idea even "worth a try".

This looks more to be what matters in regard to the outcome of the BSPA AGM decisions. It's a view that seems to be increasingly put forward in this debate. :approve:

Edited by Guest

I wonder how many NL riders were asked if they wanted the opportunity to ride BL in 2014.

I guess not many to be honest - :o

I magine giving a 18 year old NL based in Cornwall (holding down a full time job ) the opportunity to ride for Belle Vue BL side in 2014.

No Brainer! ;)

You beat me to it F/P I was thinking along the same lines are Phil & Neil going to pull names out of the hat or will the riders geographical home base be used in consideration of where they are sent .your point above highlights the problem straight away .If its a case of you go where we send you the selectors could find themselves with a vastly reduced squad of riders willing to take part .I can see the races involving N/L riders against each other being very important to the overall team results as I think the Swedish league (might have the wrong country could be Poland)operates a similar system of like for like abilities and as most 1 to 5 averages balance there selves out the reserve races could turn out to be the key to win .I hope there is a set precedent that only reserves can be used in said races and there isn.t a back door system to allow a top scoring rider to be used in a tac sub replacement if one team is way behind .I have seen polish matches where reserves may only get 2 rides and in 1 extreme case 1 ride when a top man had up to 7

• Like 1