British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

How do you know that if the rules not been published ? Don't you think it would make more sense to wait and see how the 2014 rules govern No 6&7 riders.?? It obviously suits your agenda to base your fault-finding on speculation rather than fact but until you know what the rules say you are simply guessing. If you stop and think about it for about two milliseconds it is quite possible to formulate an arrangement whereby the !-5 might cover to some extent for each other..

My agenda :rofl: The 1-5 will cover for each other :rofl: Even Hougaard racing has never come out with anything that crackpot.

So what you are saying is a format will be produced where tape exclusions, injuries to riders which cause them to be withdrawn and any other unforseen circumstance which makes a rider miss a ride will be covered by the 1-5 rather than the reserves.

I can't wait to see that one :rofl:

2 milliseconds later and it still sounds bonkers but please as I am sure you have thought it out longer than me. Enlighten us to this magic format where reserves no longer cover for the ups and downs of the main body during a meeting.

Just seen this in the speedway star.

Grants are being considered for elite and premier league teams who set up second sides in the national league. Subject to a new television contract being agreed.

Great idea this.

Will be great if a number of clubs take up this offer - remember back in 2002 that Peterborough, Wolverhampton, Sheffield, Oxford, Newcastle, Stoke, Swindon & Rye House all did this... Can't recall if Newport did or if they were stand-alone CL back then; but over the years KL, Newport & Rye have always been good at running or hosting a third tier side alongside their 'main' side.

Personally if they do (EL & PL clubs entering a 'second side' that is..) I hope they consider using a different main team-name.. To me it's better all round to have that entirely separate identity - better to provoke interest locally and certainly better for those of us at other NL clubs (particularly the stand-alones) to 'spin' the League.

They'll always be people who'll accuse the NL of being a 'reserve' division otherwise, when with some imagination it can have the look & feel of a fully-fledged third division.

The example, I'm thinking needs to be followed is when Poole ran a successful NL club under te name & branding of Bournemouth Buccaneers.

• Like 1

I see Lewis Blackbird has tweeted the NL reserves are to be paid £40 a point with a guarantee of 3 points!!!! Woohoo £120 quid a meeting! Blackbird says he's not doing it and hopes all the NL boys will stick together.

I see the Elite league has the progression of the young Brits at heart :icon_smile_clown:

They'll be loaded then. They'll ride NL on a Sunday and score a 15 point max netting them £150. They'll then turn up at an EL meeting, beat the same riders for 7 points and get paid £280. Result. Not sure what they have to bitch about.

Will be great if a number of clubs take up this offer - remember back in 2002 that Peterborough, Wolverhampton, Sheffield, Oxford, Newcastle, Stoke, Swindon & Rye House all did this... Can't recall if Newport did or if they were stand-alone CL back then; but over the years KL, Newport & Rye have always been good at running or hosting a third tier side alongside their 'main' side.

Personally if they do (EL & PL clubs entering a 'second side' that is..) I hope they consider using a different main team-name.. To me it's better all round to have that entirely separate identity - better to provoke interest locally and certainly better for those of us at other NL clubs (particularly the stand-alones) to 'spin' the League.

They'll always be people who'll accuse the NL of being a 'reserve' division otherwise, when with some imagination it can have the look & feel of a fully-fledged third division.

The example, I'm thinking needs to be followed is when Poole ran a successful NL club under te name & branding of Bournemouth Buccaneers.

Newport were always a PL club. Though I think calling some of the Newport CL/NL teams "good" is stretching it. One year Newport had 6.5 rider Karl Mason, Tom Brown and Karlis Ezergailis as heatleaders and then Legg, Hurst, Minall and Mallett all failing to get 7 between them. Impressive when you think between heats 2,8 and 14 they were guaranteed 3 points!

Hey Parsloes - what a great idea. Newcastle 'Diamonds' could start a National League Team - I wonder what they could call it?

EUREKA!!!! I know...................................

SUNDERLAND 'STARS'!!!

Now wouldn't THAT be great. :t:

• Like 1

Hey Parsloes - what a great idea. Newcastle 'Diamonds' could start a National League Team - I wonder what they could call it?

EUREKA!!!! I know...................................

SUNDERLAND 'STARS'!!!

Now wouldn't THAT be great. :t:

Or Newcastle Gems.... like they were called when in the Conference League

• Like 1

Swindon used to have a junior side which ran in the second half which was good. When they had a junior meeting only the cost of running the meeting was not covered by the numbers attending. To run an NL team If grants are available this will help but you would have to look at the admission charge or many local fans would probably only go to the EL meeting if both teams raced in the same week. It would be good to have a Wiltshire Sparrow,s team

• Like 1

They did indeed Abbott - but crucially - Parsloe's Post stated that changing the name to perhaps capture folk from other areas would be a good idea - I believe it is a VERY worthwhile suggestion. I think I have come up with the perfect answer for Newcastle.

Don't you?

Speaking as one of those will 'no longer be around' - you are right - on this Point at least. That is why I 'Liked' your Post.

Thank you, I certainly hope nobody took any offense to my comments.

I bet you first went to speedway when you were between 10 and 20 right? That's the age range we need to be targeting most as they will become the foundations of speedway in years to come.

Thank you, I certainly hope nobody took any offense to my comments.

I bet you first went to speedway when you were between 10 and 20 right? That's the age range we need to be targeting most as they will become the foundations of speedway in years to come.

I did indeed Synikalle - I was 19 years old. That was in 1964 at Sunderland. I've been hooked for nearly Forty years. Recently I have become very depressed and cynical about the state of the Sport I love(d) - it is certainly not the same nowadays - and some of the Rules beggar belief.

• Like 1

My point is, NOT to call them Newcastle anything but give the third tier team a different main name. Sunderland sadly wouldn't work (sorry TWK!) but the Byker Racers would be a cracking name!!

Newport were always a PL club. Though I think calling some of the Newport CL/NL teams "good" is stretching it.

I wasn't saying that the Newport CL sides were 'good'; I was saying it was good that the very progressive management at Newport always (well virtually always..) entered a side in the third tier.

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

My point is, NOT to call them Newcastle anything but give the third tier team a different main name. Sunderland sadly wouldn't work (sorry TWK!) but the Byker Racers would be a cracking name!!

I wasn't saying that the Newport CL sides were 'good'; I was saying it was good that the very progressive management at Newport always (well virtually always..) entered a side in the third tier.

But that would NOT attract anyone from the biggest connurbation on the North East Coast.

They did indeed Abbott - but crucially - Parsloe's Post stated that changing the name to perhaps capture folk from other areas would be a good idea - I believe it is a VERY worthwhile suggestion. I think I have come up with the perfect answer for Newcastle.

Don't you?

No.

Calling a team Sunderland is likely to keep people away!

More chance of attracting folk if they were called Byker (or some such local name).

No.

Calling a team Sunderland is likely to keep people away!

More chance of attracting folk if they were called Byker (or some such local name).

:rofl: :rofl: Just the sort of response I expected - I find it all VERY sad. :sad:

WE come to Newcastle from Sunderland each week - why would a few folk from Sunderland put off Newcastle Supporters - or - is it that Football thing again. :sad: :sad:

Swindon used to have a junior side which ran in the second half which was good. When they had a junior meeting only the cost of running the meeting was not covered by the numbers attending. To run an NL team If grants are available this will help but you would have to look at the admission charge or many local fans would probably only go to the EL meeting if both teams raced in the same week. It would be good to have a Wiltshire Sparrow,s team

The real problem is if fans only go to the NL meetings, then suddenly your EL team is losing thousands of pounds a week. This is what happened at Oxford. Their EL team was performing terribly and their NL team very well, so fans missed EL meetings in favour of attending NL matches.

As others have said, running an NL team does not attract any new fans, unless you come up with a cleaver gimmick, like Dudley Heathens. You are therefore totally reliant on existing fans attending more meetings, which in the current climate is a big ask.

• Like 2

:rofl: :rofl: Just the sort of response I expected - I find it all VERY sad :sad::sad:

WE come to Newcastle from Sunderland each week - why would a few folk from Sunderland put off Newcastle Supporters - or - is it that Football thing again. :sad: :sad:

Anyone from anywhere is welcome at Brough every week.

I just feel calling a team Sunderland in Newcastle would not attract local fans and, yes, it is, I'm afraid, a football thing, about the name.