British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry The Cat

Uncle Len's Bold Move

Rye House going into the Elite League sounds a curious idea until you get a map out.

If both Leicester & Ipswich are moving up to a cost-cutting Elite League (and unless Eastbourne drop down), then Rye House staying in the Premier League could make any of Scunthorpe, Sheffield or Somerset their local rivals at that level !! ... probably it's just Scunthorpe but they're all about 150-to-170 miles away.

Yet the entire Elite League except Belle Vue would provide nearer opposition !!

Rye House would have nearer Premier rivals if clubs like the Isle of Wight, Mildenhall & Dudley are part of a general National League shift into a cost-cutting Premier League but such a shift would also put Kent alongside Rye House which would be strange given their close links.

Maybe given Rye's location and circumstances, it's a smaller gamble than anywhere else about whether the higher costs of running a watered-down Elite League team can be safely covered by much more income from away fans.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 2

No GP stars, no Sky you never know another Saturday track in the top league could actually work. Bit to late for massive crowds but racing speedway when people could possibly travel might just halt the demise and give everyone time to sort the mess the sport has become.

You surely aren't counting our number one as one of the four.

nope chance

Buczkowski, Fisher, Klymakorpi and Hougaard ! :t:

Edited by Flyin Panther

nope chance

Buczkowski, Fisher, Klymakorpi and Hougaard ! :t:

Who's the no1 then? None of that lot.

Who's the no1 then? None of that lot.

that wasn't the question..... :o

anyway it's off topic - lets continue the natter about Uncle Len! ;)

Edited by Flyin Panther

that wasn't the question..... :o

anyway it's off topic - lets continue the natter about Uncle Len! ;)

It was my question and you seem able to go off topic on your own, you don't need any help but point taken. I'll leave you to dribble about whatever it is :)

What have the Panthers done to disgruntle you Tezza? :o

I understand that you are not a fan of our number one.... but hey the team at the back end of last season was the most exciting I have ever seen at the EOES since 2006... a team with 4 out and out racers in it! :t:

Its just that I cant understand why Bjerre keeps coming back thats all?

Hes not a team rider or people person,he folds under pressure and I dont think he gives a stuff about Panthers?

Yep,I know same ol comment,but whiles hes there its Rye House for us next year?

Excellent news, he'll soon find something to whine about but at least it'll be Rye House connected.

Well,at least I wont have to read comments from a twit like you eh?

Excellent news, he'll soon find something to whine about but at least it'll be Rye House connected.

Well,at least I wont have to read comments from a twit like you eh?

:t:

:rofl: :rofl:

:t:

:rofl: :rofl:

That's a bit rich from both but as long as you're happy :t:

I've been saying for years that Rye have the fanbase and facilities for Elite League speedway, though it may be too late to tempt back the 4-500 fans that don't go anymore.

To late now. If he would have done it three/four years ago then yes, but he's lost his crowd now. When Rye were successful and putting decent sides together in the mid 2000's the average crowd would have been pushing 1200-1500 with some very decent crowds in the summer and for end of season meetings. Silver must have been making very decent money at the time what with getting the profits from food(the fish and chips were edible in those days) and drink. To be fair he signed some good riders like Watt, Woffinden, Kennett, King, Sundstrom, Robson, Roynon etc. stadium smartened up as well and was one of the better in the PL.

Silver then started putting crap sides together and starting off with teams nowhere near the limit as he wanted to keep his favourites. Basically he started doing things on the cheap. Wouldn't drop any rider no matter how crap they were and his injury replacements were a joke.

Fans got pissed off with his lack of ambition and attitude towards them. He's still very much stuck in the 60's/70's. It came to a head a couple of years ago when he dropped Jason Doyle for Steve Boxall who had about one lawn mower to ride on and was coming back after getting injured fighting with Tyson Nelson. Crowd gave him stick about the change when he was on the mic and he didn't like it. When he was walking back to the pits he turned round and basically told the fans to F off & shouted he'll do it "his way". Well his way has seem him lose about 600 off his gate in a few years and Rye finish down the bottom of the league for the last few years so it's not been very successful.

The club could easily be an EL club if it had a Matt Ford/Rick Frost type in charge, but no way it will be a success under Silver now.

• Like 2

Sky won't want more small town tracks in Elite League...They want Cities...Liverpool, Bristol, London, Hull..

Sky want good crowds on TV - they dont care where it is. So Rye House in those terms could look better than most.

• Like 1

Thank Goodness. What a nonsense putting two NL riders in the EL. Should be great for tv when they are having their own race half a lap or more behind. Sorry to hear of your own teams troubles. Lets hope they make the PL if not the EL for 2014.

• Like 1

Thank Goodness. What a nonsense putting two NL riders in the EL. Should be great for tv when they are having their own race half a lap or more behind. Sorry to hear of your own teams troubles. Lets hope they make the PL if not the EL for 2014.

Thanks Rockets, ;)

Lets hope Uncle Len gets a competative team assembled for 2014, you may have a few more in attendance wearing the Red and Black in 2014! :D