British Speedway Forum
trophykid

Stoke Potters 2014

I didnt mention a name, but as i understood it the 3 main men at Stoke were/are Messrs Tatum, Vasey, and Crabtree, Now if you had said one of the fairer sex, then maybe i would have known who, but you didnt, so i come to the conclusion its an ex rider, as you said it wasnt Mr Tatum, its below Malcolm to do that, which leaves only one, anyways i hope Stoke have a better 2014.

Stoke have many problems, and frankly they will never get sorted. All that we can hope for is that somehow we get a team capable of challenging, but I highly doubt it. I know Malcolm hates losing, but you get the feeling his hands are often tied. Crowds get lower season on season, with more and more people not going back due to the custodians and the hangers on.

I'm finding it hard to get motivated for next season, especially having moved away from Stoke. I fear my visits will be less often than usual.

Stoke have many problems, and frankly they will never get sorted. All that we can hope for is that somehow we get a team capable of challenging, but I highly doubt it. I know Malcolm hates losing, but you get the feeling his hands are often tied. Crowds get lower season on season, with more and more people not going back due to the custodians and the hangers on.

I'm finding it hard to get motivated for next season, especially having moved away from Stoke. I fear my visits will be less often than usual.

Quite right Vog. For many many years I have waited with eager anticipation for the riders to be announced and working the the combinations of positions in the team etc, but that motivation is gone now and unless speedway in general changes (how we can have some riders who were average to good National riders going into the Elite to "improve" the standard is beyond me) and Stoke dramatically change their outlook towards the public and the teams they put out then the flame will have gone. Of course with less people going then they have to cut the cloth accordingly; the cloth is looking threadbare and extremely small at present.

Quite right Vog. For many many years I have waited with eager anticipation for the riders to be announced and working the the combinations of positions in the team etc, but that motivation is gone now and unless speedway in general changes (how we can have some riders who were average to good National riders going into the Elite to "improve" the standard is beyond me) and Stoke dramatically change their outlook towards the public and the teams they put out then the flame will have gone. Of course with less people going then they have to cut the cloth accordingly; the cloth is looking threadbare and extremely small at present.

My friend Vog, who works for MI5, has come up with a really cunning plan to slash costs in National League speedway:

To replace the top riders who have been seconded to race each other in the Elite League, Vog thinks they should be replaced by older men who were once well admired by spectators for their style, competitive spirit, panache and gritty determination.

As they would be eligible for bus passes, the travel costs to prospective promoters would be non-existant.

So if you are returning from a holiday in Cornwall on the bus, please bear with John Louis, Dave Jessup, Bruce Cribb, Colin Pratt, Len Silver, Glyn Taylor and Arthur Browning as they drag filthy old 2 valve Jawas and 5 stud Japs into the bus along with their tools, leathers and open face helmets.

Be careful that the open primary drive doesn't rip open or smear oil onto your bags or cases and you will have to simply put up with the pools of Castrol 'R' leaking from total loss lubrication systems.

Be very careful that you don't upset them either, because Arthur and Bruce in particular can be quite liverish if they don't win.

They will have been riding at Plymouth and returning home at little or no cost to the promotion.

This plan, worthy of a civil servant for its parsimonious meanness, will certainly appeal to the promotion at Loomer rd. and may catch on everywhere.

Edited by oldsparky
  • Like 1

My friend Vog, who works for MI5, has come up with a really cunning plan to slash costs in National League speedway:

To replace the top riders who have been seconded to race each other in the Elite League, Vog thinks they should be replaced by older men who were once well admired by spectators for their style, competitive spirit, panache and gritty determination.

As they would be eligible for bus passes, the travel costs to prospective promoters would be non-existant.

So if you are returning from a holiday in Cornwall on the bus, please bear with John Louis, Dave Jessup, Bruce Cribb, Colin Pratt, Len Silver, Glyn Taylor and Arthur Browning as they drag filthy old 2 valve Jawas and 5 stud Japs into the bus along with their tools, leathers and open face helmets.

Be careful that the open primary drive doesn't rip open or smear oil onto your bags or cases and you will have to simply put up with the pools of Castrol 'R' leaking from total loss lubrication systems.

Be very careful that you don't upset them either, because Arthur and Bruce in particular can be quite liverish if they don't win.

They will have been riding at Plymouth and returning home at little or no cost to the promotion.

This plan, worthy of a civil servant for its parsimonious meanness, will certainly appeal to the promotion at Loomer rd. and may catch on everywhere.

I'd start going again if it was that team...

Not really Hopwoods biggest fan, but good luck to him.

Interesting. Armstrong has never been my favourite rider after he spat his dummy many years ago riding for the Spitfires, and he had a down season last season, possibly down to a knee injury?

Either way, if the passion is still there, the experience will come in handy.

More interestingly in the press release, they said that they anticipated him riding at 5, which means there will be a higher averaged number 1? Given a 40 point limit, I'm guessing this means we won't be seeing Ben Reade back this year?

Realistically, I think we will be looking at something like

1) New number 1 - 9.5

2) Lee Payne 4.90

3) Ben Hopwood 6.89

4) Luke Priest 4.75

5) Armstrong 7.93

6) 3 pointer

7) 3 pointer

And in that, a lot would be riding on the 3 pointers and Priest/Payne!

It's a Stoke team built by Tattum, Vasey, Crabtree & Co. History tells us that it will be a poor side. Surely everyone now knows this!

I take much of what has been said on board last season was a terrible disappointment.

We have virtually completed our top five for 2014 and our Press Officer will issue a Press release concerning our new No.1 very shortly.

Happy Christmas to all my speedway friends

Malcolm Vasey

• Like 4