British Speedway Forum
trophykid

Stoke Potters 2014

I thought or am i mistaken this was a Stoke 2014 thread ?.

You are correct. I was just responding to a suggestion that talking points on Stoke might be an idea to keep the club in the limelight on here. I promise you - from now on no more trips down "Memory Lane."

Concentration on 2014 must obviously be the REAL priority.

Edited by Guest

I would think the chances of watching speedway at Stoke next year to be either ultra slim or non existant. :sad:

Edited by boozer

I would think the chances of watching speedway at Stoke next year to be either ultra slim or non existant. :sad:

A key to indicating what MIGHT happen 2014-wise is how far has the club gone in regard to purchasing an air fence? Or do they have one? I have no idea of the track's domestic set-up. I just wondered...?

Edited by Guest

A key to indicating what MIGH happen 2014-wise is how far has the club gone in regard to purchasing an air fence? Or do they have one? I have no idea of the track's domestic set-up. I just wondered...?

Stoke have had an Air-fence since 2006.

• Like 1

A key to indicating what MIGHT happen 2014-wise is how far has the club gone in regard to purchasing an air fence? Or do they have one? I have no idea of the track's domestic set-up. I just wondered...?

Stoke have had an Air-fence since 2006.

Well that indeed is excellent news. My feeling is that Stoke will still be in the sport for the 2014 season.

A few words from the promotion since they failed to complete their home fixtures - maybe an apology to the other sides they let down.. - would be a start perhaps..?!

And what will happen with regards to averages as Stoke's are obscured by having ridden 2 less home meetings therefore making their riders more attractive propositions. The same can be said to KL to a lesser extent and Dudley, Kent & Mildenhall all have slightly higher figures.

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 1

A few words from the promotion since they failed to complete their home fixtures - maybe an apology to the other sides they let down.. - would be a start perhaps..?!

Be fair. The matches were called off because of rain and not a deliberate action. Unfortunate I agree but Stoke had no control over the situation. An apology by Stoke would set a precedent in the sport surely?

Nearer to both of us in regard to rained off meetings - did Kent Kings apologise when they had rain offs? In a summer sport that's hit by rain as much as speedway - in cricket clubs don't apologise because rain has affected a match. They just a statement that rain has caused a postponement.

From what I recall, Stoke's website did give notice when they had to call off matches through rain, a happening over which they had no control.

Be fair. The matches were called off because of rain and not a deliberate action. Unfortunate I agree but Stoke had no control over the situation. An apology by Stoke would set a precedent in the sport surely?

Nearer to both of us in regard to rained off meetings - did Kent Kings apologise when they had rain offs? In a summer sport that's hit by rain as much as speedway - in cricket clubs don't apologise because rain has affected a match. They just a statement that rain has caused a postponement.

From what I recall, Stoke's website did give notice when they had to call off matches through rain, a happening over which they had no control.

It's not about the rain offs though Gustix. It's the fact that in a 30 odd week season Stoke could not fulfil 7 home league fixtures. It's shocking really and inexcusable.

• Like 6

It's not about the rain offs though Gustix. It's the fact that in a 30 odd week season Stoke could not fulfil 7 home league fixtures. It's shocking really and inexcusable.

Whilst agreeing with you, with so little speedway, the thought is to spread it out as it could be over by early/mid June and then what to you do.?? If the weather is poor towards the end then you are stuffed. I expect the fixtures were set early in the year then had to be moved a few times due to the weather. Still should not run out of dates though even counting in the other meetings taking place as to say there was only 7 meetings is a little misleading. More like 16 out of 30 weeks, which is still poor.

Whilst agreeing with you, with so little speedway, the thought is to spread it out as it could be over by early/mid June and then what to you do.?? If the weather is poor towards the end then you are stuffed. I expect the fixtures were set early in the year then had to be moved a few times due to the weather. Still should not run out of dates though even counting in the other meetings taking place as to say there was only 7 meetings is a little misleading. More like 16 out of 30 weeks, which is still poor.

Of course, there was the cup and Trophy meetings too, however should Stoke have entered the Trophy if they couldn't fulfil their League schedule?

I really enjoy my trips to Stoke and it's a shame they're struggling to fulfil a NL schedule when less than a decade ago they were running a full programme of PL and CL/NL racing.

Hopefully the Potters come back stronger in 2014.

• Like 1

I worked on the Stoke prog from 2003 to 2012 so I have a lot of affection for the club so I'm not built to criticise them but, as Ben says, to fail to stage two out of a paltry seven home NL matches is shockingly poor..

And though rain did wipe out the two attempts to stage what was by then a double header they COULD if they had the will have still staged that meeting on one of the remaining days of the season.

If they'd been - as I say - the real will to have done so...

Whether Stoke run in 2014 depends entirely on whether the promotion can attract non-speedway fans!

Over the past years, they have managed to alienate so many existing supporters (and not only their own) who are unlikely ever to return with the present promotion in place. Die hards who I never expected to jump ship now appear frequently spectating at Buxton and rarely, if ever show their faces at Loomer Rd.

It is a very sad state of affairs indeed.

Stoke fans are regarded by supporters from other clubs as rather sad eccentrics, subject to friendly mickey taking or worse, sympathy.

Incredibly, the promotion (as other promoters elsewhere have in the past) appear content to allow this slide in support to continue.

The fact that many absent supporters now actively hope that Loomer rd. closes to speedway is an indication of the cancer that has rotted this once proud and well supported club away from the inside.

Stoke once had the most competitive racing track, the most vociferous and partisan supporters and a neat and tidy stadium. Now look at it, you could weep.

Even finding a toilet is a huge acheivement.

Whether Stoke run in 2014 depends entirely on whether the promotion can attract non-speedway fans!

Do you mean NEW speedway fans? I cannot see why non-speedway fans should be interested. I hope Stoke survive. I have had a soft spot for Stoke speedway teams since 1947.

Edited by Guest