British Speedway Forum
sandking072

Four Team Tournaments

I wonder if someone could help. Does anyone know when Four Team Tournaments changed to having fixed helmet colours rather than the helmet colours corresponding to their gate positions? I'm thinking more about BSPA shared events although any input would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Edited by sandking072

A very intriguing post.

I'm sorry I can't help you with a definitive answer at this stage (but I'm working on it), but can I please ask why you are even asking this question?

Just out of interest.

A very intriguing post.

I'm sorry I can't help you with a definitive answer at this stage (but I'm working on it), but can I please ask why you are even asking this question?

Just out of interest.

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm attempting to put together a complete digital record of Wolverhampton post-war racecards as all my programmes were thrown away (Don't ask). This includes league meetings, cups, challenges and everything in-between. Been doing it for over a year now but want to get it as factually accurate as I can.

Edited by sandking072

Took a look at this using Stuart Straite-Aris's Coventry files on Speedway Researcher. They're only complete up to 1979 but helpfully show results in racecard format with helmet colours.

The first instance of what is recognised as the current fixed helmet format is in 1976, an Inter-League 4TT. Prior to 76 it's a bit of a hotch-potch. Different formulas, some fixed helmets, some mixed, even the old WTC appears to operate different formulas throughout the one tournament, dependant on staging nation. The 73 Final at Wembley uses todays recognised fixed helmet formula but it's 1976 before everyone is seemingly singing off the same sheet, and the 'old' formulas are retired.

The first mixed helmet formula appears in 1977, but I'm 99.9% certain that this was the formula adopted for the new National League Fours tournament in 1976.

Without the programme or additional insight there's no way to discern whether fixed or mixed is in operation using just Speedway Star/Mail style results unfortunately.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a definitive answer to this question.

Best answer I can come up with is that up to until 1976 all the meetings I checked show helmet colours going with gate positions..

After 1990 I cannot find any that use this method and all helmet colours are fixed for the team.

In between 1976 and 1990 you would have to go back and check each programme individually as there is no consistency.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thank you all very much for the replies. The Coventry section on the Speedway Researcher site was very helpful indeed. As was the other information. As a matter of interest, would anyone have any details of the British League 4 Team Tournaments from 1979 and 1980 and the National League 4 Team Tournaments from 1981? Any information on these would be greatly appreciated too.

Here's the 1981 4TT with details taken from 1982 yearbook:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/drvt40l1mn7lg6r/1981NL4TT.pdf

I'll have the other stuff for you shortly.

Thank you for the speedway reply Dave. I'm looking for details of the Wolverhampton matches in the main, preferably with heat details although I accept this may be a long shot. But I'm grateful for any help you can give.

I'm missing roughly 120 Wolverhampton meetings from the re-opening in 1950. Not bad for 18 months work.

All I have to hand are the yearbook details unfortunately. So just the matches concerning Wolves will suffice? Also, the 1980 Semis & Final were staged at Wolverhampton but they failed to qualify. Do you want details from those matches?

Good job collating all that information. Off-topic, but if you're needing anything for 1984 I've got a full set of SStars to refer to. I don't think I can offer much else unfortunately.

All I have to hand are the yearbook details unfortunately. So just the matches concerning Wolves will suffice? Also, the 1980 Semis & Final were staged at Wolverhampton but they failed to qualify. Do you want details from those matches?

Good job collating all that information. Off-topic, but if you're needing anything for 1984 I've got a full set of SStars to refer to. I don't think I can offer much else unfortunately.

Sorry for the delay in replying Dave. Yes, the Wolves matches will suffice. I have the details of Finals Day from 1980 so I'm not in need of that one.

However, on the 1984 front, I'm missing 2 matches.

22nd September, Coventry v Wolves, Challenge, 44-34

8th October, Cradley Heath v Wolves, Midland Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg, 39-39

Any help with those would be fantastic. The bulk of the remaining missing meetings are from 1975-80.

Edited by sandking072

Here's the Wolves 1984 stuff - not sure what format you prefer so both meetings have a racecard and a Speedway Star-style report:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/1ejr65b7gdjb5jb/1984Wolves.pdf

The Star misreports Heat 13 of the Cradley meeting, missing out King. The result I'm showing tallies with the individual scores so should be correct.

Back with 4TT later.

Here's the Wolves 1984 stuff - not sure what format you prefer so both meetings have a racecard and a Speedway Star-style report:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/1ejr65b7gdjb5jb/1984Wolves.pdf

The Star misreports Heat 13 of the Cradley meeting, missing out King. The result I'm showing tallies with the individual scores so should be correct.

Back with 4TT later.

Thank you very much Dave. You are a scholar and a gentleman. Much appreciated.

Edited by sandking072
  • Like 1

Thank you very much Dave. You are a scholar and a gentleman. Much appreciated.

No sweat, here's the 4TT files:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/hsh2qfdzuhxfebv/1979IL4TT.pdf

http://www.dropbox.com/s/3bu9h1cxcj4ap9i/1980IL4TT.pdf

From my huge collection of 2 Stars from 1980 I can offer details for 29/3 at Cradley, 4/9 at Sheffield and 5/9 v Halifax (abandoned) if they are of use to you.

No sweat, here's the 4TT files:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/hsh2qfdzuhxfebv/1979IL4TT.pdf

http://www.dropbox.com/s/3bu9h1cxcj4ap9i/1980IL4TT.pdf

From my huge collection of 2 Stars from 1980 I can offer details for 29/3 at Cradley, 4/9 at Sheffield and 5/9 v Halifax (abandoned) if they are of use to you.

Thanks again Dave. I have the 1980 matches so there's no need to trouble your extensive collection from that year.

However, in the 1995 British League KO Cup, I have matches with the scores translated over 16 heats but the reports in the local paper at the time translate as over 18 heats.

Wolves v Bradford, 15th June, 52-44. Local paper says 58-46.

Bradford v Wolves, 16th July, 62-34. Local paper says 70-38.

Any clues?