British Speedway Forum
gaptooth

Heathens 2014

Strong heat leader trio, backed up by Max and Nathan. Leaves 6.41 for the reserves. Who are the best young riders still available?

1. Paul Starke (9.93)
2. Max Clegg (6.27)
3. Tom Perry (6.30)
4. Nathan Greaves (4.00)
5. Steve Worrall (7.09)

The Cradley Heathens have (6.41) to find two reserves!

Phillips and Williamson!

Are they both 3.00 reserves!

Hahaha, so how many were saying Starkies average was too High ?. Im very pleased to see Paul and Tom back, but even more pleased now to see we have slightly changed our strategy. Im pretty sure now this means Nathan has agreed to sign, and it obviously means Gareth has been released, which leaves us with the opportunity to sign 2 good young promising riders who can be our OWN assetts. Yes Im well pleased not only with the signings, but with the change in strategy taken by the Club for 2014.

Now who might they be ? My choice would be Michael Neale, Impressed with him when he rode against us. Danny Philips seems to have improved no end since he rode for Scunny (but i believe he is a Scunny asset). Matt Williamson whom Jayne says may give 2014 a miss, but myself i doubt that. Then there is a rider many seem to have forgot, thats Nathan Stoneman, 2 years ago he rode the best i have ever seen a visiting reserve (British) ride against us in his 1st appearance at Monmore. Im pretty sure looking at the 3 pointers it will be 2 from those four, James Shanes average is to high to fit him in.

• Like 1

Hopefully a Perry can get back to his form he showed in the 2012 season

Edited by Banani

Hahaha, so how many were saying Starkies average was too High ?. Im very pleased to see Paul and Tom back, but even more pleased now to see we have slightly changed our strategy. Im pretty sure now this means Nathan has agreed to sign, and it obviously means Gareth has been released, which leaves us with the opportunity to sign 2 good young promising riders who can be our OWN assetts. Yes Im well pleased not only with the signings, but with the change in strategy taken by the Club for 2014.

Now who might they be ? My choice would be Michael Neale, Impressed with him when he rode against us. Danny Philips seems to have improved no end since he rode for Scunny (but i believe he is a Scunny asset). Matt Williamson whom Jayne says may give 2014 a miss, but myself i doubt that. Then there is a rider many seem to have forgot, thats Nathan Stoneman, 2 years ago he rode the best i have ever seen a visiting reserve (British) ride against us in his 1st appearance at Monmore. Im pretty sure looking at the 3 pointers it will be 2 from those four, James Shanes average is to high to fit him in.

danny phillips isnt an asset to any team yet!(redcar would be favourites) and also heard rumous that matt williamson has become a scunny asset and due to be in the prem team this year....merry xmas everyone...roll on 2014.

Edited by bigred

So asset wise, it seems Danny Philips is signed to no one, Michael Neale is signed to no one, and Nathan Stoneman, is not signed to anyone, now i dont have anything against Matt Williamson, but if Cradley are to have them as 3 pointers, i dont see anything to be gained by training up another Teams riders. I firmly believe 3 pointers should be used to build up your own asset base. Looking forward to seeing who we announce as our 3 pointers in 2014, any 2 from the 3 above would do for me, including a fully fit (2012) Nathan Stoneman.

• Like 1

So asset wise, it seems Danny Philips is signed to no one, Michael Neale is signed to no one, and Nathan Stoneman, is not signed to anyone, now i dont have anything against Matt Williamson, but if Cradley are to have them as 3 pointers, i dont see anything to be gained by training up another Teams riders. I firmly believe 3 pointers should be used to build up your own asset base. Looking forward to seeing who we announce as our 3 pointers in 2014, any 2 from the 3 above would do for me, including a fully fit (2012) Nathan Stoneman.

This is a sound philosophy but as a stand alone club don't our promotion have to concentrate on putting together the best team that they can first and foremost. If the choice was between an asset or a better rider you'd take the better rider, wouldn't you?

This is a sound philosophy but as a stand alone club don't our promotion have to concentrate on putting together the best team that they can first and foremost. If the choice was between an asset or a better rider you'd take the better rider, wouldn't you?

disagree, if he ain't ours we don't want him sorry. Train our own assets not other peoples.

• Like 1

DU,I did say 3 pointers, Whats the point of taking another Clubs assett, improving them as riders up to lets say 6+ pointer, then lets say next season the parent club say thank you very much Cradley, but we want him back, Then we are back to square one only this time looking for a 6+ pointer who is unattached. No Im sorry it has to be asset riders at No 6/7 for me every time. The first and foremost comes in at positions 1 to 5.

Edited by greyhoundp

DU,I did say 3 pointers, Whats the point of taking another Clubs assett, improving them as riders up to lets say 6+ pointer, then lets say next season the parent club say thank you very much Cradley, but we want him back, Then we are back to square one only this time looking for a 6+ pointer who is unattached. No Im sorry it has to be asset riders at No 6/7 for me every time. The first and foremost comes in at positions 1 to 7.

In an ideal world you would do both, without a doubt. We have two reserve spots available and maybe that's possible.

In four years back we have acquired just 3 assets, two of whom started as reserves, but I'm sure that's not for the want of trying. Others that have ridden for us have either done so on loan from other clubs or stay as free agents, such as Dan Greenwod and Nathan have done.

Whilst the likes of Scunthorpe, who don't even have an NL team, et al are able to run training schools every week they are always going to sign up the majority of the good young talent, where possible, way before they have even progressed to a level that they are ready to ride NL .That's undoubtedly a situation that would change if and when we are successful in finding a site to build a new track just as it would affect the clubs income stream and facilitate a move into the professional ranks. Ironically the new rules in force mean that it is probably more economic to compete in the Elite league than the Premier league now!! It's no coincidence that most of the riders coming into the NL either do so as Scunthorpe assets or attached to their local clubs. Rob Godfrey has got it spot on at Scunny and should be proud of the number of riders that owe their introduction to the sport to him.

So I guess we'll continue with the ethos that has served us well over the past four years. That is to put together the best team we can from the riders that are available and, if possible, sign a rider or two to the asset base, where possible. The best team will be a mix of assets and loaned riders. We can rest assured that whoever the club do sign will give absolutely everything to the cause of riding for the Heathens. As Stevie Worrall said it's the club that everyone wants to ride for!!

Here's to a successful and prosperous 2014 for all Heathens, on and off the track.

#Ommerum

I read on the Cradley Fb page, all riders to be announced by the end of January, whilst some may like this drip feeding of signed riders, I absolutely hate it. I guess i will have to study who has been signed and who is left, to try and work out who are the riders we have signed, but i still cant see past, Danny Philips, Nathan Stoneman, Michael Neale, and maybe Matt Williamson as an outside possibility.

I have no doubt Williamson will be wearing green / white he needs a national league spot alongside riding for scunny most clubs are sorted !

The team is already sorted so just need to wait until promotors announce them maybe with darts finished Pearson May have some time on his hands!

If Mr Pearson was playing darts he would have a lot more time on his hands :lol:

• Like 1

Who cares who the last two are as long as the last three include Nathan to ride at least 2 m from the white line at the 'Wood and the other two are worthy to put a Cradley bib on........................If they are not we can change them if the need arises. 'Ommer 'Um Me Babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!