British Speedway Forum
moxey63

Peter Collins In The Star

agree with most of what pc says especially about the starts if a rider gets a great start with out touching the tapes and has been stationary at the start fair play to him, next thing they will do is pull it back because someone didn't start as well as the rest

You can make a jump start despite being still and not touching the tapes.

The trouble is Speedway has no way of proving it to be the case as they can in Athletics for example.

The majority of 'blinders' are of course actually rollers and totally illegal. Too many riders sit too far back from the tapes and get awat with it.

• Like 3

Because if Peter Collins stops going to speedway, it would make no difference what so ever. However, if I stopped going to speedway, a club would be making £17 less every week.

Not really. A club only makes money if somebody pays to go through the turnstiles. For instance, If you pay £17, then it's income for the track. Until you hand over the pennies, don't think a club counts the revenue.

The thing is, PC speaks sense... whether he pays to get in speedway or not. Some present day promoters take money out, make silly rules, and then blame a loss of revenue. Revenue should only be counted when it's banked, so persuading fans through the gate is important. The sport was a lot better value and worthy when PC rode. That I will acept no arguements over. As terraces showed, there was more revenue coming in.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Old Man In "I Prefer Old Speedway" Shocker

Daft comment and an insult to one of the best and most exciting riders ever seen on a speedway track. Put more bums on seats than any other British rider.

Most who know anything about speedway would agree and understand every point he makes. But then again you in your eyes he is just an old man who doesn't deserve to have an opinion. If i stood next to you at a track i'd give the Promoter seventeen quid not to let you in. Money well spent

• Like 4

agree with most of what pc says especially about the starts if a rider gets a great start with out touching the tapes and has been stationary at the start fair play to him, next thing they will do is pull it back because someone didn't start as well as the rest

The key is 'Has been stationary at the start' , that's what several riders have been doing - goes beyond anticipation when the back wheel is spinning before the tapes release! I hope they keep pulling these riders back.
  • Like 1

Daft comment and an insult to one of the best and most exciting riders ever seen on a speedway track. Put more bums on seats than any other British rider.

Most who know anything about speedway would agree and understand every point he makes. But then again you in your eyes he is just an old man who doesn't deserve to have an opinion. If i stood next to you at a track i'd give the Promoter seventeen quid not to let you in. Money well spent

Nobody has said he should have no opinion. everyone is entitled to an opinion. But just because he could ride a speedway bike better than most 30-odd years ago doesn't mean he knows how to make the sport a success now.

I wonder if he pays to get in to speedway meetings?

Why should he?? He's been there,done it and has a World title to prove it (nearly retained the title rideing with a broken leg too)........So he shouldn't have to pay to watch any meeting in this country, he should be treated as a VIP at all tracks.

• Like 3

Nobody has said he should have no opinion. everyone is entitled to an opinion. But just because he could ride a speedway bike better than most 30-odd years ago doesn't mean he knows how to make the sport a success now.

Wasn't he part of a consortium at Belle Vue at one time. Perhaps speedway management was not for him. Amusing on here, that if a rider talks about the 'good old days', everyone thinks he is speaking for them and think it is time to return to those days. Those days are GONE, never to return, and decisions are now made to try and catch a much younger audience whilst still watching 4 riders racing around a track 4 times. The core product is still there.

• Like 8

just because he could ride a speedway bike better than most 30-odd years ago doesn't mean he knows how to make the sport a success now.

It does, however, mean that, when he voices his opinion, many people will sit up and take notice. I am sure that PC is far too humble to expect everyone to agree with his opinion, but at least he took the time to consider and offer it.

It does, however, mean that, when he voices his opinion, many people will sit up and take notice. I am sure that PC is far too humble to expect everyone to agree with his opinion, but at least he took the time to consider and offer it.

And thats his prerogative, I'm not knocking his opinion, he may be right. But my point is just that ex-riders don't always make great ideas men. Ove Fundin once suggested make tracks more bumpy and rutty to produce better racing. Easily one of the greatest riders of all time, easily one of the most stupid ideas ever. Ole Olssen was another of he greatest rider ever but he gave us how many years of rubbish slick-fests in the GPs?

Why should he?? He's been there,done it and has a World title to prove it (nearly retained the title rideing with a broken leg too)........So he shouldn't have to pay to watch any meeting in this country, he should be treated as a VIP at all tracks.

Of course he shouldn't have to pay to get in. I'm just pointing out that his opinion is worth less than mine. £17 less to be precise.

The key is 'Has been stationary at the start' , that's what several riders have been doing - goes beyond anticipative when the back wheel is spinning before the tapes release! I hope they keep pulling these riders back.

THe back wheel can spin and rider still remain stationary. Only when traction occurs will bike move. Otherwise the back wheel wouldnt spin, rider and bike career through the tapes, hence warranting a deserved exclusion.

Edited by moxey63

"Drop a cog" post="2388426" timestamp="1387832997"]

I can just imagine you telling us Bill Gates' opinion on computing isn't worth as much as my Mum's because he might not have paid for a computer recently and my Mum bought an ipad last month, lol!

Peter Collins was better than riding a Speedway bike than most but as how the sport should be ran his opinion is the same as the next person ..

All we have here is some old bloke who likes gravy on Chips being stuck in the past .Of course the ones who agree with him are the same sort of people .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Is that what it says in the original article because from what the OP posted he is just saying that what has been tried has failed.

I can't see any reference to the good old days or a desire to return to them, can you?

He has hit the nail on the head of course, despite that fact he doesn't pay to get in ha ha.

I don't see him exactly endorsing what we have now but. To yearn for the past it to ignore the future. Life moves on, and so should others on here.

"Drop a cog" post="2388426" timestamp="1387832997"]

I can just imagine you telling us Bill Gates' opinion on computing isn't worth as much as my Mum's because he might not have paid for a computer recently and my Mum bought an ipad last month, lol!

Peter Collins was better than riding a Speedway bike than most but as how the sport should be ran his opinion is the same as the next person ..

All we have here is some old bloke who likes gravy on Chips being stuck in the past .Of course the ones who agree with him are the same sort of people .

There is a quote to the effect "There is no future if you do not recognise the past" - or words to that effect.

There is a quote to the effect "There is no future if you do not recognise the past" - or words to that effect.

..and another one which says "You don't steer the boat by looking at the wash."

• Like 1