British Speedway Forum

Someone told me that they weren't actually legal notes, but were honoured by their banks.

Blimey would not accept an RBS one.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

Large denomination Scottish notes are taboo in some parts of the North East, as we have regularly had fakes mixed in with our currency. When I get them over the border, I do my utmost to get rid of them at the earliest possibly opportunity before i leave or on my return home.

Just leave them behind the bar at Ashfield. We'll get rid of them for for you. :cheers::t:

• Like 5

Large denomination Scottish notes are taboo in some parts of the North East, as we have regularly had fakes mixed in with our currency. When I get them over the border, I do my utmost to get rid of them at the earliest possibly opportunity before i leave or on my return home.

Most big-chain supermarkets' self-service check-out machines accept genuine Scottish notes regardless of whether you're shopping in Scotland or much further south !!

It's because these check-out machines in their Scottish branches have to be able to accept both Scottish and Bank of England notes ... and, although they don't advertise the fact, the supermarkets (or their technology-providers) have clearly worked out its more cost-effective to use the same technology in all their machines nationwide rather than develop a second set of note-receivers for England & Wales that would reject the Scottish notes.

Tsunami should have no problem bunging Scottish fivers & tenners from his trips to Glasgow & Edinburgh into any check-out machines near Newcastle.

• Like 1

Just listening to tms and it seems Aussie cricketers are having Visa problems to play English county cricket.

Rule change in visa applications were mentioned.

Most big-chain supermarkets' self-service check-out machines accept genuine Scottish notes regardless of whether you're shopping in Scotland or much further south !!

It's because these check-out machines in their Scottish branches have to be able to accept both Scottish and Bank of England notes ... and, although they don't advertise the fact, the supermarkets (or their technology-providers) have clearly worked out its more cost-effective to use the same technology in all their machines nationwide rather than develop a second set of note-receivers for England & Wales that would reject the Scottish notes.

Tsunami should have no problem bunging Scottish fivers & tenners from his trips to Glasgow & Edinburgh into any check-out machines near Newcastle.

Here's a factual description regarding bank notes in Scotland:

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

Edited by Guest

We may have accepted their notes, but many establishments away from the border will not, and who is to say they will accept Sterling. A friend of mine thought the same when he went from Northern Ireland to Eire, and had to return across the border to change his Sterling for some Euros, as the garage he had stopped at would only accept Euros.

We may have accepted their notes, but many establishments away from the border will not, and who is to say they will accept Sterling. A friend of mine thought the same when he went from Northern Ireland to Eire, and had to return across the border to change his Sterling for some Euros, as the garage he had stopped at would only accept Euros.

Alex Salmond: We will retain the pound

Treasury: No you won't

This is another example of the lies the Salmond is putting about.

So Euros it is provided he gets membership which is doubtful as he'll have to join the queue for membership.

Edited by Pirate Nick
  • Like 1

Someone told me that they weren't actually legal notes, but were honoured by their banks.

They're NOT legal tender on Eurosport but they are on SKY.

• Like 1

Three Cricket journalists covering the Ashes have been chucked out of Australia due to Visa problems including the Sun's main man.

It's a little known fact that Scottish notes are not legal tender, not even in Scotland. They are essentially promissory notes that are accepted at the discretion of the recipient in the way that credit cards are.

so scotland are trying to move away from the uk and become its own country. will riders have to apply for a work permit(visa) to work in scotland and will the scottish riders have to apply for a work permit to ride in the uk. and have passports to present to the border agencies ..will the fans on both sides of the wall have to have passports, as if they were travelling abroad.

sorry if its been posted befoe, but c.b.a. to look it up...

Scotland would likely join the EU or at the very least have reciprocal working arrangements with the UK in the same way that the Republic of Ireland always did. It might affect work permit riders though, as the right of a non-EU/EEA national to work in the UK doesn't extend to other countries.

With respect to border controls, that's an interesting one. Scotland would likely want to remain in the Common Travel Area (currently the UK, Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man) which doesn't require passports, but one of the requirements of joining the EU as a new member is to join Schengen. It Scotland had to do that and the rest of the UK (and Ireland) remained outside the Schengen zone, they they'd be obliged to impose border controls with England.

One reason the Republic of Ireland opted out of Schengen is they didn't want to have border controls with Northern Ireland. They were able to do that as they were already in the EU when Schengen came in, but Scotland may not have that option.

It just demonstrates how ill-thought out SNP policy is.

My point was that Salmond has stated that Scotland will retain the pound sterling and the treasury has replied no you won't.

I'm not sure the UK could actually stop him. There are a number of countries (e.g. Ecuador and Montenegro) that use the US dollars or euros as their currency, so provided the Scottish government could secure enough pounds and Scottish businesses were prepared to accept them, then I can't see how you'd stop them circulating.

Would appear that the visa requirements / rules are being tightened up all round :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/25849031

Hull KR: Papua New Guinea duo Enoch Maki & Francis Paniu exit

Hull Kingston Rovers have released Papua New Guinea duo Enoch Maki and Francis Paniu from their contracts.

Prop-forward Maki and centre Paniu were part of the Kumuls squad at the recent Rugby League World Cup in England.

And following the tournament, the 24-year-olds both agreed one-year deals at Craven Park, subject to successful visa and work permit applications.

But these were not obtained, and the pair are now expected to return home to join Kokopo-based side PNG Hunters.

It's a little known fact that Scottish notes are not legal tender, not even in Scotland. They are essentially promissory notes that are accepted at the discretion of the recipient in the way that credit cards are.

They're only legal tender if you can back up the note with one of those 'scottish' passports that you get in the m6 services and you're wearing a tartan 'see you jimmy' flat cap.

• Like 2