British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedy bill

Top Rider Shortage

Due to the Elite league using National riders this year and others moving on,there is a shortage of top riders.Some teams have got the cream and others are going to struggle.II think the National league wont be as good because some teams will be lambs to the slaughter but if some promoters are happy to put on one sided meetings and think people will pay to watch that is there problem.But i for one will not be paying to see one sided rubbish.

Isn't this the National League? - if you haven't got top riders, you simply train up some top riders.

It isn't a league where winning is the be-all and end-all.

All the best

Rob

• Like 4

Nice reply Jayne I get fed up with people saying why don't you........... when they have no answers and just stand on the sidelines anonomously criticising and making futile suggestions about riders you have probably already tried or some who have not even returned your call.

If they had any idea how long it can take to sign one rider let alone a team full.

It is difficult this season but I believe that there is some merit in the EL Draft although personally I would have liked the Premier League to have been involved as well. Maybe in both Leagues each team to have one rider from the NL pool. More warning might have been helpful and then maybe we could have had a picking session as well.

Good Luck with your team I know how hard it is

Malcolm

• Like 3

Jayne i know from speaking to you that it is hard to get riders to ride for the points money that is offered,but its the Leagues fault for allowing the richer teams to offer over the top payments .It is done in many sports the richer clubs get the best and what is left the smaller clubs make do with.I understand that riders need to get as much money possible to do speedway they deserve it for what they do.But because of the money its spoiling the league by teams being to strong the coordinator should either put the money up or make a rule to stop teams paying over the top,then we would get more even matches.I know it would be hard to enforce but it could be worth a try.

• Like 1

Well winning and having a decent side to compete, and put on a decent show of close racing is important to some of us.

If its only a training league then put it on for free, which isn't an option I know, but if you are charging to watch, then it has to be a decent standard, which to be fair at Mildenhall we do get served up week after week, but if it was just about training riders then you can't really charge an entry fee.

BW does write some odd posts on here, but I think the point being made is a competitive side is essential to keep the crowds coming in, or improve.

My overall concern is, when some of the riders get injured as they inevitably will, then we will have a real shortage and then the borrowing of riders will come in to play and the whole thing loses its way a bit in my opinion.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the team that scunny puts out this year will be pretty good at home and with the facility's for rider training scunny have I am pretty sure they will be a lot better team next year with a years experience

Isn't this the National League? - if you haven't got top riders, you simply train up some top riders.

All the best

Rob

OH we are back on that ,fans of stand alone clubs only have one team to support we are not all in your position of having two. I think what you do at Scunny is brilliant but dont come on saying we fans dont care if the team wins or loses we pay to watch because we support the team and like them to win. Thats why Dudley Mildenhall ect put together winning teams to keep fans coming through the gates.

All the best

Rob

Then, to paraphrase the late Vince Lombardi, why do we bother keeping score? We may as well say that 14 riders can turn up, have a few races, and everyone goes home happy.

This is a league, with more stand alone clubs than non stand alone. Is it competitive? Yes, it is. Do the bigger teams tend to sign the best riders? Yes, but that's the same in all leagues. Frankly, I'm happy that we train riders to be winners at a young age.

• Like 6

As a life long Heathens fan since the Summer of '59 as it says in the programme ....CAN I say that the NL in whatever form in the last 20 years or so has put up a very good showing. From my days following Club CH, Buxton, Wolf Cubs and since 2010 my beloved Heathens, the NL has always had the dilemma of stand alone vs. training and long may it continue! If the Heathens and others get out of the NL into whatever league ........................GOOD LUCK to them...........................Those who stay in the NL.........do what you do best and train the stars of the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jayne & Richard at Buxton and Rob at Scunthorpe & Uncle Len at Rye via Kent perhaps know what is best................the rest "are in it to win it"!!! I, for one, will see what the Stags & Hitmen are up to and welcome any NL at Monmore Wood any Tuesday in 2014 and the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will never stop teams paying more than the £10 per point limit. They will just invent a sponsor if anyone questions it. Happens in all sports, & is a fact of life that money talks. Makes me admire Jane at Buxton for her enthusiasm when there is obviously an uneven playing field.

• Like 1

Then, to paraphrase the late Vince Lombardi, why do we bother keeping score? We may as well say that 14 riders can turn up, have a few races, and everyone goes home happy.

This is a league, with more stand alone clubs than non stand alone. Is it competitive? Yes, it is. Do the bigger teams tend to sign the best riders? Yes, but that's the same in all leagues. Frankly, I'm happy that we train riders to be winners at a young age.

Hold on, I didn't say any team goes into a meeting to lose.

They all go into each meeting to win.

But this league is not about signing star names. It's about signing riders with potential, who improve week-on-week. And that makes it all more pleasurable when a rider does win his first NL race, or when the team come on top against supposed stronger opposition.

All the best

Rob

Makes me admire Jane at Buxton for her enthusiasm when there is obviously an uneven playing field.

Absolutely. And it was great when Buxton swept all before them in 2010 - much deserved.

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

2010 was a great year and i would love this year to be another until we know the team we cant say but i know Jayne and co will do there best.Is Ryan back this year a lovely lad our favourite at Buxton.

2010 was a great year and i would love this year to be another until we know the team we cant say but i know Jayne and co will do there best.Is Ryan back this year a lovely lad our favourite at Buxton.

BWDouble,

I didn’t twig immediately that you were a Buxton fan. Now that I have, be proud of your team. The Hitmen have punched considerably above their weight over the years. There’s that clean sweep of major honours in 2010, I’m sure there was another KO Cup somewhere, plus all those Riders’ Championship winners. The Hitmen have contributed some great riders to British Speedway and are perhaps more than any other team, what speedway’s third tier is all about.

It’s an achievement in itself for the Hitmen to come to the tapes in 2014. The Air Fence issue could have oh so easily sent the club the same way as the Isle Of Wight (fingers crossed for a positive result tonight), but Buxton is still there in the NL, which is fabulous news. You can bet your bottom dollar that Jayne and co are putting together the best team they can for 2014. Even if it’s not challenging for honours (which is tough to do at the moment; they are some very strong NL teams about), as long as it’s a side that does its best to win, provides entertainment via some ever improving youngsters, and gives a bigger team a bloody nose every now and then.

Personally, once the fixtures are released, one journey I will be intending to make from Oxford will be to see the Hitmen v Stags match, because I really enjoy watching speedway at the Hi-Edge Raceway.

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

As much as people say on here that the Heathens are able to pay more and attract the better rider is true. However it could all be taken away from us in a finger snap. As stated above, Wolves ran there cubs before we arrived, whats to say that next year they will want it back due to the NL Draft being a sucsess?

The management have stated that this is our last chance, after this season it would be down to the supporters to determine what happens to the club is a site for our own track isnt found.

There are already 7 new spaces in the NL this with the introduction of the Stags being involved again. If IOW stay on then thats 14 new rider places. We have lost so many to the NL Draft but isnt that a good thing. The national league is the development league and as much as it was great to win the lot last year the best thing I whitnessed was watching Max Clegg take massive steps in his development and look where he is now.

The reason why there is a lack of riders is because we have developed riders from all teams that are now too good to ride in this league not down to the new draft system but the PL points limit. From our team i can name that Blackbird Morris and Roynon are three names who cannot ride in the NL because they are too good. Paul Starke was very close to being over that fresh hold, and I dont excpect to see him in the NL next year.

The lack of 'TOP' rider shouldnt be a complaint, it should be a postive as is showing the sucsess of this magnificant league.

• Like 1