British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bostonian

British Gp Help

Hi guys,

Just needing a bit of help regarding the GP at Cardiff this year. Just wondering what the views are like? I've never been before but I understand the middle and upper tiers are the best for the atmosphere etc, but would you recommend the middle or upper? I've noticed the upper is much cheaper now with the limited tickets available but would you say its best to pay the extra and sit on the middle tier? Or does it really not matter?

Thanks!

Hi - I remember how difficult it is to select tickets on first visit and can only tell you my experiences. Definitely would not purchase Lower Tier - I never have and know someone who did and said they could only see helmets going past for part of each race. If you look at the photo of the inside of the stadium on SpeedwayGP website they build the track up and the fence is quite high.(see link below). They do cover a number of seats in the lower tier nearest to the track which leaves possibly half available for purchase. I have sat in Upper Tier and Middle Tier and definitely prefer Middle. I feel its also important in such a vast stadium to consider where your preference lies with regard to bends 1,2,3 or 4 or maybe infront of start/finish line or back straight as the distances are so great. Its steeply tiered all round so viewing is not a problem but its just how close you want to be to see - the start/finish line or riders entering first bend etc... My preference is Middle Tier Blocks M6 - M12 in East Stand (see link below for Map) and I choose the Row with lowest number as its nearer the front. If these were unavailable I would consider looking in Upper Tier Blocks U7 - U11 provided I could get a low number Row nearer the front of that block. After those options had been explored I would look at the opposite side in West Stand and try Middle M27 - M33 followed by Upper U28 - U32.

If its atmosophere that is important to you (the whole place is full of it anyway) and you don't mind flags being waived infront of you while trying to watch the races sit where I did the first time I went - Upper Tier Block U19 which was full of Poles enjoying themselves the way they usually do and we were fortunate enough that it was not full and we moved 3 times to get out the way.

Photo of inside Millenium: http://www.speedwaygp.com/event/speedwaygp-2014-cardiff

Map of stadium seats: http://speedwaygp.seetickets.com/event/2014-british-fim-speedway-grand-prix/millennium-stadium/713930

Hope this helps and you really enjoy your first trip.

Edited by maneacat
  • Like 1

I've sat in all three: Top tier first year..Too high up and full of pissed up Poles.

Lower tier second year.. crap view.

Middle tier - third year and ever since. We go for seats on the back straight, it's always packed and you get a 'complimentary' flag..Brilliant view and atmosphere.

It's middle tier for us every time :t:

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 2

The last time I went, once the meeting started fans were moving about and changing tiers, mainly to get away from the Polish who had been drinking all day and continuing during the meeting. Do not know if they have stopped that but as Jacques says pick the back straight.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 2

Орлов. однако

Bottom tier sucks. Poor view, less atmosphere probably as you're covered by the middle tier). Best seats we ever had were front row of the middle tier on the straights. Top tier is better if you want to move around a bit.

We always go top tier. Buy the cheapest tickets and then usually move to get a row where we can spread out a bit! That's the advantage of the top tier, many of the rows are half-empty. No one seems to mind you moving about.

It depends whether you like being so high up. Personally I really enjoy it because it makes such a change from how I usually view speedway 'live'.

• Like 1

Because of the expense for the last few years i have gone upper tier. I have sat in the lower at the exit of bend two and i did like it due to the close proximity of the track and riders and wouldn't agree that the view is poor if you get a ticket thats not front couple of rows

Middle tier for me is too packed. I prefer the upper and for the last two years have sat at the start of bend three and the view is pretty good. I have been lucky enough to have beer spilt on me in all tiers and from drinkers of many nationalities not just poles and as a non drinker would be happy for the stadium to ban beer in the stadium apart from on the concourse, they do it for football why treat others differently it just spoils the day.

• Like 1

Best seats I've ever had are Middle Tier front row on start finish line. Also gone right to the top before, and you can really sense the atmosphere from up there.

• Like 1

Best seats I've ever had are Middle Tier front row on start finish line. Also gone right to the top before, and you can really sense the atmosphere from up there.

I do like to go right to the top to watch a few heats, it's different, weird, in a good way. Wouldn't want to see a whole meting up there though :D

Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate it!

Looked into the tickets and what rows I would be put on and think I'll go for the top tier, found a few areas with seats in first few rows so no flags/people in the way, but not too far out of sight.

Thanks again :)

I do like to go right to the top to watch a few heats, it's different, weird, in a good way. Wouldn't want to see a whole meting up there though :D

Agreed.... could only manage a few heats, then moved somewhere else, moved to about 5 different positions in the end. It's good as you can see the lines open up before the riders, so make it interesting to watch :)

• Like 1

Agreed.... could only manage a few heats, then moved somewhere else, moved to about 5 different positions in the end. It's good as you can see the lines open up before the riders, so make it interesting to watch :)

Would make it interesting if the riders could wear head sets and have a spotter up there!