British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Stags Vs Kent Kings (nl) - Sunday, March 30th

I am a great fan of what Rob Godfrey has done at Scunthorpe and his record speaks for itself.His move on admission prices for kids has to be applauded and I hope others will follow suit. The school leaving age is 18 now so the increased costs for the 16 - 18 category fall on the already hard pressed Moms and Dads and that might be enough to mean that some have to stay away. Excellent move.

Having said that, I am concerned at the strength of the Stags team. I'm all in favour of bringing the kids on and applauded the Elite League changes for this year but you have to be fair to the paying public when the Stags go away from home so I think they should look to include a couple of more experienced riders. Its great that the youngsters are being given the opportunity to race but you don't learn much if you are getting thumped and there are no role models in the team to look up to and learn from on the track. The experience could be quite disheartening and have a detrimental effect.

Rubbish.

Its a case of balancing the need of training young riders against the financial viability of a business.

If a team like Mildenhall put out a similar side they would close within weeks, because people simply won't pay £10-£12 (or maybe slightly less) to watch an MDL meeting. Waco's point that the Stags team could have a serious effect on attendances at other clubs is entirely valid.

Why do think Rob Godfrey has arranged nearly all Stags meetings as double headers with the Scorpions ? The answer is because he knows that if they ran as stand alone meetings no-one would go (or certainly not enough to make them financially viable). He is able to do that; Mildenhall can't.

What sticks in my craw here is 'the win at all costs' comment. Mildenhall have one rider who might not be termed as developing (Danny Halsey) as do Scunthorpe. Cradley, too, have one (Steve Worrall is younger than Arron Mogridge).

What both the Fen Tigers and Heathens have done is put out sides that are competitive and will satisfy their customers but at the same time gives track time and competition to teams full of young talented riders.

I have always regarded your comments as being of great value and continue to do so. Would be interested to hear how speedway get around the problem of massive differences in standard of riders in the same league which we have at present in the this league. Not sure that customers of Mildenhall and Cradley will be satisfied by hammering teams on their our patch when the weaker teams come to town and processional races are the norm. Love the comment about Steve Worrall as a developing rider on the fact that he is younger than Arron. That did make me giggle a bit. Steve is a class act at this level and developing for sure regardless of his age compared to others. Anyway back to my question. How do we level the differences in standard of riders or is everyone happy that the way the league is set-up and that it gives good racing and value for money?

i think that a reshuffle will now happen if there is 2 or three injurys after the very first meeting.What scunthorpe have tryed to do is always a risk & that has happened in week 1.I for one will be at monmore when the stags are in town, because i want to see new riders and talent at national league level.

Rubbish.

Its a case of balancing the need of training young riders against the financial viability of a business.

If a team like Mildenhall put out a similar side they would close within weeks, because people simply won't pay £10-£12 (or maybe slightly less) to watch an MDL meeting. Waco's point that the Stags team could have a serious effect on attendances at other clubs is entirely valid.

Why do think Rob Godfrey has arranged nearly all Stags meetings as double headers with the Scorpions ? The answer is because he knows that if they ran as stand alone meetings no-one would go (or certainly not enough to make them financially viable). He is able to do that; Mildenhall can't.

What sticks in my craw here is 'the win at all costs' comment. Mildenhall have one rider who might not be termed as developing (Danny Halsey) as do Scunthorpe. Cradley, too, have one (Steve Worrall is younger than Arron Mogridge).

What both the Fen Tigers and Heathens have done is put out sides that are competitive and will satisfy their customers but at the same time gives track time and competition to teams full of young talented riders.

You are correct in what you say.

Last season the "Kings" started with a weakfish team and were losing nearly all the time.As a new Cub/team the supporters stuck with them and things improved as the season went on (due to the odd team change/riding Home track better).I know it is up to the Scunthorpe Management what team/riders they want to put out - BUT IT IS VERY WORRYING WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN AWAY FIXTURES.Will you be giving supporters at these meetings value for money ? As it is I think not.

Rubbish.

HT, I don't see this. How does a healthy win for the home side affect their attendances? Cradley clobber the opposition every week and yet have the best attendances in the league.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

I agree that its difficult to find a balance and there always needs to be room for an experienced head in NL teams...does make me chuckle a bit when the Kings felt the need to run RR rather than giving someone like Luke Harris (or another rookie) a go

As better riders move up and older riders retire a real shortage will inevitably kick in unless the problem is addressed.

Incidentally-who could Scunthorpe-or for that matter Buxton use as heat leaders to beef the teams up,Kent have three very experienced riders surely it would be better to drop the points limit in future seasons and share the better riders out a bit to provide a more even league.

The young kids are out there we need to give them a chance,Scunthorpe will always do that and will reap the rewards in years to come as will british speedway

i think that a reshuffle will now happen if there is 2 or three injurys after the very first meeting.What scunthorpe have tryed to do is always a risk & that has happened in week 1.I for one will be at monmore when the stags are in town, because i want to see new riders and talent at national league level.

The injuries were a concern to me to but I was happy to reserve judgement until they have a couple of meetings under their belt. Is there a distortion of what is considered 'NL ready' ? How is this measured ?

• Like 1

The points limit should be lower, the stand alone sides have to fit the agenda of the league, the league doesn't have to meet their agenda. As I've said before and no doubt will say again, if you give Cradley, Kent, Mildenhall etc a lower points limit then they will still be able to build winning sides but it will bring them into line with the likes of Scunthorpe, Buxton etc in trying to develop riders.

Having lots of experienced riders floating round the NL helps nobody, one or two is good to help these youngsters develop yes, however the aim should be to push our young riders forward to PL standard, not let them stagnate.

Well done to the Kings on the win, well done to the Stags on their ethos of team building. Hope all injured riders are soon back on their bikes.

• Like 4

You are correct in what you say.

Last season the "Kings" started with a weakfish team and were losing nearly all the time.As a new Cub/team the supporters stuck with them and things improved as the season went on (due to the odd team change/riding Home track better).I know it is up to the Scunthorpe Management what team/riders they want to put out - BUT IT IS VERY WORRYING WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN AWAY FIXTURES.Will you be giving supporters at these meetings value for money ? As it is I think not.

to be honest that is of no concern to us,if they want to pay riders 30 or 40 a point to ride around then thats up to them,just the same as its up to Scunny who they put in

If the Stags had the likes of Morely,Lambert and Compton in the ranks there would be simply no point at all in running this project

For this project to work,Scunny/Poole will need to be totally selfish--other wise there is simply no point

Some may say they ill soon get cheesed of with getting hammered---rubbish,they know why they are there,ride ride ride enjoy and improve---,take Liam Sanderson for example,first win,first crash,ripped his new Kevlars but i bet he went to school this morning with a bigger smile than he had yesterday morning

• Like 2

to be honest that is of no concern to us,if they want to pay riders 30 or 40 a point to ride around then thats up to them,just the same as its up to Scunny who they put in

If the Stags had the likes of Morely,Lambert and Compton in the ranks there would be simply no point at all in running this project

For this project to work,Scunny/Poole will need to be totally selfish--other wise there is simply no point

Some may say they ill soon get cheesed of with getting hammered---rubbish,they know why they are there,ride ride ride enjoy and improve---,take Liam Sanderson for example,first win,first crash,ripped his new Kevlars but i bet he went to school this morning with a bigger smile than he had yesterday morning

I do get the immpression that Danny Ayres can't ride a speedway bike yet, I'm sure he will learn quickly, but has been named in the Stags with Govier covering for him till he learns as you need to at least be able to slide.

Not sure of the point of that. You may want to put me straight as I only have press releases to go on. Alec Wright is waiting in the wings at KL but they haven't named him in the 1-7 yet as do Kent seem to have Luke Harris.

Edited by TMW

I do get the immpression that Danny Ayres can't ride a speedway bike yet,

I will remember this---give it a week or some and you will eat your words --Trust me

I will remember this---give it a week or some and you will eat your words --Trust me

I'll get my knife and fork ready don't keep me waiting to long or I may get bored and move onto something else

Edited by TMW
  • Like 1

I'll get my knife and fork ready don't keep me waiting to long or I may get bored and move onto something else

You could argue that there are some in the NL who have been about for some years and still cant ride a bike--- :t:

When your new NL team going start??-- id be more worried about that if i were you

• Like 1

You could argue that there are some in the NL who have been about for some years and still cant ride a bike--- :t:

When your new NL team going start??-- id be more worried about that if i were you

Just giving everyone else a headstart