British Speedway Forum
TheSmiler

Birmingham V Coventry 9/4/14

Just out of interest can you put riders in heat 15 AFTER the coin toss?I know people are slagging of Harris but surely hes a better bet off gate 4 in heat 15.Howarth might have done something off gate 1 if coventry had the inside gates,but you know Harris can pull off a stunning ride in amongst all the duff ones.

Edited by speedwaysliders
  • Like 1

Should haves, could haves, would haves don't win you meetings. Garrity is the best reserve bar none. But keeping him away from injury will determine if the Bees are play off contenders or not.

Clearly not. But if say a top heavy team like poole went to brum and darcy only scored two points they would probably lose. It wouldnt stop them being play off hopefuls though.

garritty being fit has always been essential to coventry s play off hopes as they have a weak-average top five. Today just illustrated thst rather than telling anyone anything new.

Wish I'd have put some money on Brummies keeping it close (if not winning tonight), they were always likely to keep it close at least, despite some of the ridiculous score predictions in the Bees' favour in the build up to the meeting. While I think we've got a good side this year (still do), Birmingham always rise to the occasion around Perry Barr against the Bees. Danny King was going to find his normal form sooner rather than later, he's too good a rider not to. Barker didn't do as well as I expected him to though.

Disappointed to see us only get a point as while I wasn't as optimisic for the Bees as many were, I thought we had a chance of a close win, so it feels like points dropped already. I saw enough to still feel really positive about the season ahead though, the racing was fantastic I thought from both teams and every Bees rider threw the kitchen sink at that meeting, something it didn't feel like last year. 5 points from 2 away meetings to start the season is a great start, looking forward to a testing home opener at Brandon now.

• Like 1

Very good meeting to be fair. If Garrity wasn't still clearly injured, and Harris wasn't so poor it would have been a different story. I do however agree with an earlier post. It's early days but it does appear Harris' decline is continuing further. I just hope the constant poor GPs don't put him off speedway all together

Still; 5 points from our first two meetings, let alone AWAY ones is very good. And when you come to think of it, most people thought we would get 1 point from Swindon and 4 here. It just turned out to be the other way round. I don't see what the problem is here? We haven't even ridden at home.

A tough test awaits on Friday,

Clearly not. But if say a top heavy team like poole went to brum and darcy only scored two points they would probably lose. It wouldnt stop them being play off hopefuls though.

garritty being fit has always been essential to coventry s play off hopes as they have a weak-average top five. Today just illustrated thst rather than telling anyone anything new.

Coventry top 5 has outscored the opposition top 5 both times I believe.

• Like 1

Coventry top 5 has outscored the opposition top 5 both times I believe.

Yes, but against the weakest two teams in the league. I cant imagine too many repeats of that away from home against the other seven sides. Im not criticizing the bees team, they are my pick for 4th but with weaker reserves id be tipping them for 7th/8th.

Decent meeting and £2 cheaper than Coventry!

Impressed with Howarth who I can see taking over a heat leader spot.

Garity should never have rode as clearly not fit, let's hope they get a guest in for Friday as can't see him making a full recovery by then

• Like 1

Yes, but against the weakest two teams in the league. I cant imagine too many repeats of that away from home against the other seven sides. Im not criticizing the bees team, they are my pick for 4th but with weaker reserves id be tipping them for 7th/8th.

Not sure Swindon can be called one of the weakest teams In the league

• Like 2

Well done Brummies. That result should cheer the fans up a bit. :)

• Like 2

Good meeting, funny leaving a meeting where we have lost but feeling so positive about the team. Some performed and others didn't, same for both teams eg, Barker and Eddie for Birmingham.

Hans got better and he will be a great number 1, Harris must be given a chance here, he has travelled half way across the world the past few days and probably has no idea what day it even is. He will frustrate but anybody who thought they were going to get a bomber who was going to gate needs a reality check and he is notorious for a slow start to the season added to a huge disappointment of the GP. Howarth was the surprise for me, looked very good, Hansen struggled but again far to early to hit panic buttons. Fisher was good value as was Sarjeant. Garrity will have very few meetings like this, never looked right and maybe should have thought twice about riding tonight.

They all look really entertaining riders, it's so so early in the season and hopefully the next few weeks we can get some momentum into the season. Really looking forward to how the team progresses, if nothing else they will provide a cracking nights entertainment and I'm more than happy with that. Far to early to write anybody or any team off !!

• Like 2

I'm personally happy to come away with a point. If we can do that with Garrity riding with severe bruising (guest might have been better though) and Hans with a knee injury then positive about other meetings.

Harris was a worry but hoping hes just jet lagged.

SO Harris was jet lagged? Oh dear I've heard the lamest excuse ever for a captain and a heat leader

Theres a saying, don't count your chickens before they have hatched. Before tonights meeting I don't think I read a single post from a Coventry fan who thought their team would get turned over. Ten point wins, all four points etc.

Just goes to show a team licking their wounds from last week still had some bite. Big points dropped tonight from Coventry. The top teams should come to Brum and win, so Coventry might have to find another away win from somewhere. I still think they should make top four but after tonight they have certainly made it harder for themselves.

Well done Brum. Fully deserved by the sound of it.

• Like 1

Cant see anything but a Bees win here, just a case of by how many, and lets all hope for a good turnout.

Lovely day for Speedway, I'll be there :)

Did either or both of you go (did anyone go!) how large/small was the crowd in comparison to the disastrous last meeting and last season?

Coventry fans understating their chances so that they can gloat all the more after the event, again. They know that they will win this but after last year there will be extra enjoyment in the heads of Bees fans for rubbing it in all the more.

Ignoring both of the Birmingham performances so far, because, well, there wasn't much to take notice of, but the result from Swindon speaks volumes. Coventry will be a juggernaut this year, and will get all 4 away points from this meeting at a canter.

Oh dear. Don't give up the day job will you? Too late, you already have. Still, at least you were there to witness the match, weren't you? Looks like you Cycled there too.

I await with interest the number of excuses you come up with after this one.

• Like 2

Impressed with Howarth who I can see taking over a heat leader spot.

Due top to rolling averages that won't happen until at least August until he becomes a 10 point man then it might happen in July - not likely though.

If I was a Bees fan I would be extremely worried about Kenneth Hansen as a heat leader.

Why? Signed on a 5.5 average so always going to struggle as a heatleader away if he can score 4 beating the second strings I think he's done his job and he's pretty much done that in the 2 meetings so far. He was always going to be one of - if not weakest 3rd heatleaders away from home. He's got a good Brandon record though so he should make up for it a bit at home.

As for people saying Bomber is past it, let us down. His average is 6.8, he score 6 away from home. I'd expect 6s and 7s away from home tbh. Ok he wasn't great but he was hardly terrible either. And he's not exactly know for his great starts to a season. He lost to Kennett (very similar average) and Skornicki (a 6 point man) and King (average a point higher). He dropped 4 points to opponents basically, while Hans dropped 3. Hardly much between them. If Bomber only dropped 1 more than Hans and looked poor then how good is he going to be when he doesn't look poor?

Some people need to realise Bomber wasn't signed on an 8 point average this season like he normally but sub 7.

IMO, only 1 rider let us down. If Garrity had score just 6 points just beating the Brummies reserves then the Bees would have scored 50. He should be beating Lambert with ease and Starke shouldnt be that big a hardship. His PL meetings the last 2 seasons suggest he is a better rider than Kyle Howarth,

Edited by SCB