British Speedway Forum
TMW

Leicester V Coventry

Beg your pardon?! Now I can vouch for Peterborough as a great circuit as I was a regular visitor for the past few seasons (as a neutral of course ;)). Haven't been this year due to the change of race night, but hope to get across for a few meetings. I'm definitely going to the Newcastle meeting a week on Tuesday. What planet is Hemsley on?! I know he's entitled to his views, we all are, but seriously?! :blink:

It appears, from all that's been said and heard, that David Hemsley may have decided to proceed with "his" design (and ignore any well-informed advice) as he was acting out of a sense of overblown vanity (cue Carly Simon song) by wanting to create something very different, maybe even to stick up two fingers and make a statement saying "there.....you've seen the others, now look at what I've made, arn't I amazing". I think he is an Architect by profession, and architects have been known to suffer from such thoughts of personal aggrandisement from time to time!

And also in common with architects from time to time, they can create a complete turkey in their quest for "individuality" and the satisfaction of the ego and vanity.

So in answer to your question, I think he could be on Planet Architect.

you don't neccessarily need to shorten straights at both ends. You could do it by shortening one end. That's coming from people in the know about track design and building who know these things, not me. I have been very reliably informed that this could be done in a couple of weeks for minimal outlay in pound notes (i know people have offered to cover this previously).

promises that if we all wait 'til the close season it will. I've wasted fortunes on these false promises. All too late for the many who have given up on the rubbish.

Your "people in the know" need to consider that only changing one end would mean they miss the opportunity of making both ends of the track better for racing lines as well as ensuring the aesthetics remain. but more importantly, by changing only one end would mean the starting gate would need to be moved if it is to remain in the middle of the straight (need to move electrics for gate and green lights) which of course means the refferees box would have to move as that must be in line with the start line. which of course means the stands would have to be moved to make way for the refereed box.

Of course we could have the start line off centre (not sure if that is allowed anymore and I can only remember Wimbledon having such a thing) which together with the one set of bends being far deeper than the other would sure make for a strange layout.

The simple and most suitable solution is make the changes to both ends of the track when there is sufficient time to do so i.e. at the end of this season

Your "people in the know" need to consider that only changing one end would mean they miss the opportunity of making both ends of the track better for racing lines as well as ensuring the aesthetics remain. but more importantly, by changing only one end would mean the starting gate would need to be moved if it is to remain in the middle of the straight (need to move electrics for gate and green lights) which of course means the refferees box would have to move as that must be in line with the start line. which of course means the stands would have to be moved to make way for the refereed box.

Of course we could have the start line off centre (not sure if that is allowed anymore and I can only remember Wimbledon having such a thing) which together with the one set of bends being far deeper than the other would sure make for a strange layout.

The simple and most suitable solution is make the changes to both ends of the track when there is sufficient time to do so i.e. at the end of this season

I'm sure it could be done by moving just one end in. The idea isn't to make the bends wider (they look wide enough to me) but to make the straights smaller so less speed is taken into a bend. If you bring in one end you make both straights shorter. As for start lines being moved, it wouldn't be the first track to have the start line in a "weird" place. I'm not sure the rules are that bothered about the exact location, just on the straight so it could be done.

As for the "aesthetics" if the track is further down on end of the stadium than the other, "LOL" - So people liek to see a track in the middle of a stadium and see rubbish racing rather than a track offset but with racing?

Looking at it on google maps I'd lop off about 30-40% of the straight.

I'm sure it could be done by moving just one end in. The idea isn't to make the bends wider (they look wide enough to me) but to make the straights smaller so less speed is taken into a bend. If you bring in one end you make both straights shorter. As for start lines being moved, it wouldn't be the first track to have the start line in a "weird" place. I'm not sure the rules are that bothered about the exact location, just on the straight so it could be done.

As for the "aesthetics" if the track is further down on end of the stadium than the other, "LOL" - So people liek to see a track in the middle of a stadium and see rubbish racing rather than a track offset but with racing?

Looking at it on google maps I'd lop off about 30-40% of the straight.

FIM rules state that the start line needs to be approx mid way along the straight. Apparently “mid way” is termed as a suitable tolerance which should not exceed a bikes length (ish) one way or another. Vague I know, but clearly something that could not be accommodated within the (say) a shortening of the straights by 10metres.

As for aesthetics v good racing, of course the latter is preferred. But also two good sets of corners, and if you can justify it at one end why not do it at the other.

BTW the track would still be in the middle of the stadium as it is the inside of the track that would move not the outside.

I already said about 2 or 4 good races. But there was still a lot of races that followd along in a big line. Newman was great but the way he rides it was only time before a great big cropper and he did it this week.

Some of the passes he made at Poole made your heart come in your mouth for him. I love speedway, but most of all I don't want to watch young lads riding above themselves and being seriosly hurt.

As I also said the new format this year is going to see a lot more strung out races.

Kyle Newman wasn't injured at Poole - he was injured at Peterborough riding for Plymouth.

I know where he was injured. The same still applies. These youngsters are out to prove a point and are riding far above what they are capable of. What I saw of him racing at Poole it is a wonder he didn't come to serious injury there.

I know they are in the EL to improve, that is what they should be doing and not going out full pelt and then ending up in the back of an ambulance.

I hate to see any rider that gets hurt and it bothers me even more when you see these young lads being injured. It could speel the end to very good years as a rider. They need to calm down and race to a standard that will keep them safe.

There have been far to many really bad accidents with young riders these past 2 seasons with 2 in hospital now with brain injuries.

The way that bikes have devoleped are good but it something that they have to get to grips with, I mean the young riders that is.

I would hate to see it but very shortly unless they learn to ride at a pace that is safe for them and to stop taking risks with over taking manovers that even the top riders would never even dream of taking.

Then it will not be long before one of these riders is hurt really badly or worst of all killed.

The first requirement, is for a certain individual to admit that he got it badly wrong. I'm not sure he is capable of that, maybe even to the point of now actually believing the delusion (as with T. Blair, ).

But I fear things may now have gone beyond the point of no return. There's usually a "tipping point" with these things and we may have just reached it, if mrcts' "coming out" is anything to judge by.

And I just can't see any prospect of the necessary substantial alterations being done during the season with its busy schedule, even if Mr Hemsley does by some miracle undergo a personality transformation!

No - I anticipate the "Leicester provides the best in racing" bullrubbishe to carry on for the rest of the season, whilst customers melt away, a bit like King Cnute sitting in his chair on the beach as the waves slowly engulf him.

FIM rules state that the start line needs to be approx mid way along the straight. Apparently “mid way” is termed as a suitable tolerance which should not exceed a bikes length (ish) one way or another. Vague I know, but clearly something that could not be accommodated within the (say) a shortening of the straights by 10metres.

As for aesthetics v good racing, of course the latter is preferred. But also two good sets of corners, and if you can justify it at one end why not do it at the other.

BTW the track would still be in the middle of the stadium as it is the inside of the track that would move not the outside.

The FIM rules actually state, "The starting line should be positioned in the middle of the straight, and if this is not possible then not less than 35 m from the entrance to the first bend." So not an issue.

The bends are not the issue, it's the length of the straight. If you bring both bends in 5 metres you have straights 10 metres shorter. If you bring in one bend 10m you have straights 10 metres shorter. But by only bringing in one bend you only have to do one lot of work and change one lot of drainage. You would NOT be changing the bends.

The FIM rules actually state, "The starting line should be positioned in the middle of the straight, and if this is not possible then not less than 35 m from the entrance to the first bend." So not an issue.

The bends are not the issue, it's the length of the straight. If you bring both bends in 5 metres you have straights 10 metres shorter. If you bring in one bend 10m you have straights 10 metres shorter. But by only bringing in one bend you only have to do one lot of work and change one lot of drainage. You would NOT be changing the bends.

I reckon 10m would not be anywhere near the reduction needed to make the straights short enough, but any change couldn't make it worse! And if they moved the 3/4 bends the standing area could be made bigger and banked higher so spectators could have a better view. I see footage from continental tracks which have huge banked grassy areas on the corners and I lament the tight space our stadium has been crammed into. It's been designed like a cycle speedway arena, not a motorcycle speedway.
  • Like 2

... I lament the tight space our stadium has been crammed into ...

I wonder if this is why the track is the shape that it is? Perhaps Mr H wanted the largest track possible, or at least as big as Blackbird Road was, and the only way to do that was to make the straights long. Did he want to give us a minutes+ racing and not below? Is he able to make the arena bigger or has he got boundaries?

Was there a problem to start with. Did they have limitations on the area they could use to build the stadium. Or did it just happen that it was all they could afford at the time of building the track and surrounding area's of the stadium. There is so much space on turn 3/4 and the car park by the dissabled parking that I can't figure out why they chose to cram everything into such a small space.

Was it a thing like small is cute and everyone will be close together, so it looks like the crowds are bigger. A bit daft to me when there is so much land there. .

Anderon, Harris,Fricke and Doyle haas all got the measure of the track as did Kasperzak. I think a lot of it boils down to riders not having confidence in racing here. Several times on Saturday and also other races this year and last year all be it at a different league, they have come off of turns /12 3/4 and not at the start a wheel behind the leading 2 riders only to lose out at least a half straight advantage. Is it down to poor equipment or is it just the riders are afraid to fully comit on a strange shapped track.

There is nothing to compare in this country, to BP's track.

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that you have long straights but the track has been sqeezed into so small a space. If the track had been at least another 15 mtr's wider. With a larger centre green and a wider track. It would have made a great difference.

Again boils down to my post above. About when the track was built.

My previous post vanished.

My previous post vanished

Edited by weatherwatcher

Happy Hunter, hope Lewis Blackbird scores 12 points on Saturday, because he is riding for Panthers at Workington lol.

Thanks - that's cheered me up immensely!

I wonder if this is why the track is the shape that it is? Perhaps Mr H wanted the largest track possible, or at least as big as Blackbird Road was, and the only way to do that was to make the straights long. Did he want to give us a minutes+ racing and not below? Is he able to make the arena bigger or has he got boundaries?

DH wanted a fast track, he wanted spctators to get the impression of speed, that we certainly have. I can fully understand his thinking and when he explains it to you it makes perfect sense, it's not worked out racing wise though, it's just not entertaining. As others have pointed out reducing the straight at one end could well do the trick. Let's hope something gets done sooner rather than later, but I suspect that winter will be the time, if anything happens at all.

Ref comments about a slick track - that's the riders asking Glyn to prepare it that way. Maybe easier to ride but from a paying customers point of view it just makes it worse.

Apart from the track issues I think everyone who has worked at the stadium deserves great credit, a lot has been created from nothing in a very short period, and I wish the Lions (and Long Eaton) all the best.