British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
em1500uk

King's Lynn V Wolverhampton (23/04/14)

Gate looked ok, but down on the previous 2 weeks. On the subject of gating. I wonder whether it would be worth swapping NKI and Bjerre. Kenny being the better gater and could use that to the teams benefit in heat one.

Good performance by Wolves - let down by Woffy in his last two rides - he needs to sort out the mechanical gremlins if it is just down to his machinery.

5 points from the World Champion is not good enough.

We had all the bad luck going with Pawlicki locking up in his first ride when in front and then his silencer failing later on other wise we could have gone away with what would have been a shock point given Lynn's billing as title favourites.

Great meeting with some good races from Lambert and NKI later on but it is not the Lynn track of old which used to be the best in the league.

Wolfie

Having followed the Stars for many years, when it comes to guessing the outcome or meetings, I am still a novice. Looking through the results of the season so far and understanding the potential of the 2014 stars team, I thought last night would be a formality to attain the 3 points on offer. I couldn’t have been more wrong had I tried.

Wolves showed they can produce the good’s when it mattered and caused the Stars a lot of problems. Regularly gating first, Wolves soon established a 4pt lead with most of the team scoring points. In the first 8 heats we only gated first in one of them. Usually ht 9, is good for us, but last night we again were second best to Worrall and Morris and the gap increased to 6pts. It was at this stage I thought we were going to drop a point or two. Our backs were up against the wall. We weren’t firing on all cylinder and the Wolves were doing good.

We gradually clawed our way back into contention thanks to Kenneth and Niels, and got our noses back in front after ht 13. But if that was to stick we needed at least a drawn heat in the next, enabling the top riders to seal victory in the last. It didn’t look too good for the Stars as both Lewis and Robert hadn’t imposed themselves too well, up to then.

But cometh the hour, cometh the man. As expected from previous races, the Wolves pair gated, with Lambert at the rear. As the race grow, so does his stature. Past Lewis into third, Wells is looking round. He gives up sheparding Worrall, and goes for the flag. Lamberts fly out wide to dismiss Worrall and sets his sights on Wells. He’s getting closer and closer, going out wider looking for that extra grip. The crowd are all on the feet cheering an unbelievable race. Coming out of the 4th bend on lap 3 Lambert hits the front to win a truly brilliant race. Showing such petulance to an international rider from someone so young is a memory I will keep for a long time. This race was worth the admission alone.

Niels and Kenneth duly completed victory in ht 15 to claim the 3 points, but one has to feel sympathy for the Wolves riders and Fans. They battled right to the end and went away with nothing. A meeting, thought to be relatively easy, turned into one you’re not likely to forget.

It’s hard to realise that only 3 weeks ago Lambert was only a 15 yr old BOY. Tonight he became a MAN……. Another brilliant night of speedway…..

• Like 1

GRW, Lambert went passed Both Wells and Worrall down the back straight through the smallest of gaps that they left between themselves. He had tried the big one around the top bend but couldnt make it stick and found himself back in 3rd coming into bend 2. Now if he could only get off the start line level with the rest, as once in front he is like s51t of a shovel.

If Lynn were in the PL right now with Lambert riding reckon he would be racking up big scores the hard way, like a young Mr Ward did when he first came over to the UK.....

For me, Ward was better at 16 than Lambert is. However the potential is the same.

GRW, Lambert went passed Both Wells and Worrall down the back straight through the smallest of gaps that they left between themselves. He had tried the big one around the top bend but couldnt make it stick and found himself back in 3rd coming into bend 2. Now if he could only get off the start line level with the rest, as once in front he is like s51t of a shovel.

I don't know what race you're talking about, but the race you described wasn't from last night. I was referring to the race, similar to the one Bagpuss was updating for the web site, where he came from 4th to 1st passing those in front at 3 separate occasions

Why do people do that.?????........

Iversen and Bjerre won't get near Ward and Magic for the Pirates, Darcy's in a different league and Magic on his day is as good as anyone.

It would be a different story coming out of your mouth if Iversen & Bjeere were riding for the panthers but still one of them plus others with the exception of Bjeere due to sponsorship didn't want to know Frost
  • Like 1

It was perfect for the last five heats once Buster had ripped it up a bit and watered it, too dry and slick early on. Always likely that the Lynn boys would be caught out early on as the track was so different to last week, a big pile of material on the centre grey presumably having been removed from the track with rain forecast.

Racing average early on but after the interval it was top drawer, Lambert's heat fourteen effort being the pick. As Haza says this team has nowhere near peaked yet, let's hope we can keep everyone fresh and come collectively good for the Play Offs.

Agree with you there. After the interval, the racing was top notch, but before that there wasn't much to shout about. I felt about as subdued as I felt at Leicester on Saturday :lol: The heat 14 ride by Robert Lambert was something to behold and was worth the admission fee alone, without seeing Niels pull off some of his passing moves too! I cannot grumble with how we're doing at the moment. Even the points Rory scored were hard fought and I know he has his critics (!) but I won't have a bad word said about his efforts. As for Steve Shovlar's comment about making hard work out of a mediocre Wolves team...well, maybe we did, but they were very swift from the tapes! Gating has been our problem for a few seasons now for some individuals, but if riders like Robert or Niels can swoop past the opposition and give us something to shout about, I don't mind :D Win, lose or draw, this team will have my support for sure!

As for Steve Shovlar's comment about making hard work out of a mediocre Wolves team...well, maybe we did, but they were very swift from the tapes!

It isn't like he is known for getting things right tho lets face it! :rofl:

To win 3 on the bounce isn't a mediocre side. Lets see if any other teams get as close in Norfolk. :t:

I don't know what race you're talking about, but the race you described wasn't from last night. I was referring to the race, similar to the one Bagpuss was updating for the web site, where he came from 4th to 1st passing those in front at 3 separate occasions

Why do people do that.?????........

Thats fine, if you saw it that way. We saw it differently from the back straight. Where was your viewpoint ?

Thats fine, if you saw it that way. We saw it differently from the back straight. Where was your viewpoint ?

Last night it was from the ROYAL BOX.

Just thinking about something I was told years ago and I was wondering if someone more 'with it' could confirm or deny whether it ever was or more importantly, still is, the case.

Once a meeting has started, any track work has to be agreed by BOTH team managers.

:unsure:

Just thinking about something I was told years ago and I was wondering if someone more 'with it' could confirm or deny whether it ever was or more importantly, still is, the case.

Once a meeting has started, any track work has to be agreed by BOTH team managers.

:unsure:

Has to be false as managers have complained about the grading at Eastbourne & nothing ever done. It still happens after nearly every heat

• Like 1