British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedibee

Which Team Will Be The First To Drop A Draft Pick ?

Luke Crang going well at Coventry tonight, is he Leicesters new draft rider, Swindon should be interested he is going better than D.Greenwood.

There is nowt wrong with Max Clegg, except he is not a renowned gater even in the NL, added to the fact the other leicester draft rider is NOT a gater, meant one of them would have to go, personally i would have chosen TP to go, as Max WILL come good in the long term, what is he now 17 ? jeez anyone expecting instant results from a 17 year old is expecting miracles, Steve Worrall can gate Max cant therein lies the difference, oh and about 3/4 years more riding experience for Worrall.

To say Max is is not a renowned gater is something of an understatement. The poor kid is, almost without exception, well out of the equation long before the first bend with no hope of making up ground. He really must be encouraged to stick with the National League for the forseeable future to gain experience. Race advantages in Heats 2 & 9 will continue to be fruitless (regularly costing 8 points on the road) for the Lions unless opponents occasionally fail to finish races. The fact that Max is only 17 and must be given a chance will not wash for very long in a profesional sport that is desperately trying to drag the paying public through the turnstiles. Fact. Whilst I am not smart enough to name alternatives, there must surely be someone else in the draft list that is worth a punt with nothing to be lost?

Luke Crang going well at Coventry tonight, is he Leicesters new draft rider, Swindon should be interested he is going better than D.Greenwood.

Sealed bids only please

I'm not sure if i've got some of the facts wrong here but as far i appear to have read the situation... given first pick of the second list (or something close to..) Leicester picks the lowest draft rider available, Max Clegg. Just so happens that Leicester's new manager Norrie Allen is also mentor of a certain Max Clegg. Sounds like the sort of gamble usually reserved for grannies betting on the grand national. Hero material. Unfortunately Max Clegg struggles to cope in a way most considered views had pointed would be case at the time the decision to pick him was made. Max Clegg loses whatever confidence he had. Leicester are knackered for the whole season with weak reserves thanks to this decision. Norrie Allen blames himself for picking the wrong reserves. Robin states 'holy sh*t'.

Are Leicester dropping the right person?

Mick.

Edited by volty
  • Like 2

True. If Nikolai Klindt and Simon Gustafsson were performing anything like their potential and anywhere near their averages of two or three years ago it would probably be a totally different story.

There is an argument that Swindon didn't do all that well on the pick but if there has been no improvement in their FTDP riders while others , such as Morley who came in close to the bottom of the list are visibly improving week on week then maybe Swindon fans ought to be asking why. I doubt whether Klindt or Gusafsson are much help as they can't even sort themselves out at the moment, and I really wonder whether riders like Kildemand and Batch, good as they are in themselves are really the right ones to pass on experience to the younger ones. That really is what the FTDP is about. A lot of NL riders know very little about set-ups and a good number of PL riders are not much more knowledgeable. A lot depends on how much the senior riders are prepared to pass on experience gained over the years. Swindon were unlucky losing Darryl Richings to injury but all clubs have that risk and have to live with it

I do think Aces 51 has a good point, although we can't fully evaluate it until the end of the season.

Yeah Good point.. Never gave it much thought, But can imagine Kildemand saying, No lads you ride like this , you hang off the bike as far as possible, Like what I do..... Brilliant ..

Wonderful spectacle, Never tired of seeing Kildemand ride, but can imagine him not being a very good role model....

Do as I say, and not what I do..........

• Like 1

Norrie Allen is also mentor of a certain Max Clegg ..

Don't know where you got this information from volty,you couldnt be more wrong if you made it up....

To say Max is is not a renowned gater is something of an understatement. The poor kid is, almost without exception, well out of the equation long before the first bend with no hope of making up ground. He really must be encouraged to stick with the National League for the forseeable future to gain experience. Whilst I am not smart enough to name alternatives, there must surely be someone else in the draft list that is worth a punt with nothing to be lost?

I did mention a couple of alternatives, but the post doesnt seem to have appeared. They are Olly Greenwood and Ben Hopwood, whilst Luke Crang is going well at the moment (is he ready ?) but unsure if Luke is ready yet. The other point i made was why is Jason Garrity on the draft (not NL in 2013) and Ashley Birks is not ? to my way of thinking if Garritys on, then so should Ashley Birks. I would think O, Greenwood, Hopwood and Birks would then give every EL Team a decent chance of scoring points, against similar calibre riders.

Don't know where you got this information from volty,you couldnt be more wrong if you made it up....

To be honest, Its the first Iv heard of it also.

To say Max is is not a renowned gater is something of an understatement. The poor kid is, almost without exception, well out of the equation long before the first bend with no hope of making up ground. He really must be encouraged to stick with the National League for the forseeable future to gain experience. Race advantages in Heats 2 & 9 will continue to be fruitless (regularly costing 8 points on the road) for the Lions unless opponents occasionally fail to finish races. The fact that Max is only 17 and must be given a chance will not wash for very long in a profesional sport that is desperately trying to drag the paying public through the turnstiles. Fact. Whilst I am not smart enough to name alternatives, there must surely be someone else in the draft list that is worth a punt with nothing to be lost?

I did mention a couple of alternatives, but the post doesnt seem to have appeared. They are Olly Greenwood and Ben Hopwood, whilst Luke Crang is going well at the moment (is he ready ?) but unsure if Luke is ready yet. The other point i made was why is Jason Garrity on the draft (not NL in 2013) and Ashley Birks is not ? to my way of thinking if Garritys on, then so should Ashley Birks. I would think O, Greenwood, Hopwood and Birks would then give every EL Team a decent chance of scoring points, against similar calibre riders.

To be honest, Its the first Iv heard of it also.

The trouble is with Lions picking someone so low in the list as Clegg was ( no.23 ) & i think he's now at no.27, they can only replace him with someone lower in the draft list, which rules out Ollie Greenwood, & doesn't leave much choice. No-one below Clegg really looks any better, but maybe Crang might be the best bet.

Isn't Ashley Birks v James Sergeant or Max Clegg, Mr Reade just as a stupid race miss-match as the current EL second strings v most current Draft reserves.....?

Tbf to Volty I read that somewhere to. I think it was when Norrie was announced as Team Manager

I did mention a couple of alternatives, but the post doesnt seem to have appeared. They are Olly Greenwood and Ben Hopwood, whilst Luke Crang is going well at the moment (is he ready ?) but unsure if Luke is ready yet. The other point i made was why is Jason Garrity on the draft (not NL in 2013) and Ashley Birks is not ?

I actually think the question is. Why is Newman on the list and not Birks?

Tbf to Volty I read that somewhere to. I think it was when Norrie was announced as Team Manager

I actually think the question is. Why is Newman on the list and not Birks?

The line was drawn at about the 6 point mark for PL average. (Kerr 6.09)

Newman and Garrity were under whilst Auty and Birks were above (approx 7)

The line had to go somewhere - whether it was in the right place is the question.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

The line had to go somewhere - whether it was in the right place is the question.

Thanks for clearing that up

As you say Tina, I definately read on more than one thread that before he got the job, Norrie Allen was favourite for managers job due to his association with Max. If that is wrong then i hold my hands up to listening to what those fools on BSF say and taking it as gospel! My bad..

the line went where the cheap option was

The trouble is with Lions picking someone so low in the list as Clegg was ( no.23 ) & i think he's now at no.27, they can only replace him with someone lower in the draft list, which rules out Ollie Greenwood, & doesn't leave much choice. No-one below Clegg really looks any better, but maybe Crang might be the best bet.

Oliver Greenwood is a 'guest-only' rider on the draft list

http://www.speedwaygb.co/14issues/el_issue7.pdf