British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Fast Track Riders

Was going to update these today using stats from an overseas site* but the Speedway Star this week in an "exclusive statistical survey" :rofl: has an article with their averages published. Sadly it may be a one-off (not seen it yet won't get my issue until tomorrow) in which case i will update them next week.

*What a farce we've got to go to an overseas site to get the most basic information that we've always had access to, brings back memories of successfully finding out information despite 'D Notices' or 'DA Notices'. Also in more recent times 'injunctions/legal rulings' to obtain the current location of notorious killers released back into the community by resorting to the same methods.

Uh Oh will the BSPA be contacting the Law Lords to close down Speedway Star?

Edited by manchesterpaul

Looking forward to getting my copy later, I love stats! About time more focus was put on stats IMO.

They could have saved a lot of number crunching though, and instead just put a big photo of Lewis Kerr pulling a wheelie on the front cover : )

I'm probably wrong in my thinking, but I feel the new race format is having a far bigger influence on the league than that of the introduction on the FTR alone. By the riders racing against similar, there is now far more significant put on those minor heats, making them far more important.

• Like 4

this is the first year of this project and i think for the first round picks, they are, by and large, holding their own and benefitting from the experience enormously. At BV, you can see Stefan Nielsen growing in confidence each week, and getting help from the likes of Scott Nicholls, Matej Zagar, Craig Cook etc can only help too. I am sure the same is happening at many other tracks.

I think the issue at the moment is the number 7 rider, who tends to be more inexperienced and so can be out of their depth. That's maybe where the draft needs to be tweaked for next year.

• Like 1

I'm probably wrong in my thinking, but I feel the new race format is having a far bigger influence on the league than that of the introduction on the FTR alone. By the riders racing against similar, there is now far more significant put on those minor heats, making them far more important.

Absolutely correct. Most meetings are won and lost now at reserve, and whilst the draft is a good idea, it has been badly implemented. If you have the strongest reserves, you are likely to top the league table...

this is the first year of this project and i think for the first round picks, they are, by and large, holding their own and benefitting from the experience enormously. At BV, you can see Stefan Nielsen growing in confidence each week, and getting help from the likes of Scott Nicholls, Matej Zagar, Craig Cook etc can only help too. I am sure the same is happening at many other tracks.

I think the issue at the moment is the number 7 rider, who tends to be more inexperienced and so can be out of their depth. That's maybe where the draft needs to be tweaked for next year.

Credit where credit is due i think it's been a good move. Not sure if it was introduced more to save paying out high wages or it was indeed 100% with the national team in mind and/or just simply getting young riders fast track experience. Other overseas leagues such as Poland, Sweden and Denmark have had regulations to ensure their young riders get to race.

One can't condemn it when it's barely up and running in it's first year it will obviously need tweaking and there are some problems to be addressed with regards riders that clubs have already 'reared' etc. within their own system and possibly resulting in unbalanced pairings this season.

If the number sevens are proving to be too weak then maybe we should have one fast track rider per Elite team and one per Premier team. Although that might leave the one Elite rider facing more higher class opponents during a meeting. I've not studied the riders too much but i'm sure some good riders have not been included in teams whilst poorer ones have or others have suggested that. Maybe next year there will be an alteration of which riders can qualify as fast track and an all round stronger pool will be able to take the team slots?

Edited by manchesterpaul

I think that the fast tracks should be as you say above one rider from the PL and one of the better riders from the NL to make the No.7 slot. I think there would be a better class of racing than we are getting now, some of the lads just haven't yet quite what it takes to fill these place and teams are losing quite a few races due to this.

I think that the fast tracks should be as you say above one rider from the PL and one of the better riders from the NL to make the No.7 slot. I think there would be a better class of racing than we are getting now, some of the lads just haven't yet quite what it takes to fill these place and teams are losing quite a few races due to this.

That is what was suggested at the time by many posters, but apparently the Premier League promoters wouldn't play ball.

It's that good that fans are voting with their feet and turning their backs on the sport! :rolleyes:

But hey at least a few think it's a good idea :rolleyes:

Crowds are up at Belle Vue for the first time in several years, must be due to the FT riders then.

I know teams like Swindon have seen their gates go up year on year for the last few years and in general speedway attendances have been on the up over the same period, mainly thanks to the pokc and the double tactical rule, so yes you must be right.

Burp!

You really think crowds are going up? I think you must be stuck in a time warp because in the real world crowds are generally down - just ask the promoters!

No way, this year has sen a massive downturn compared to the last few years of success.

I've already mentioned the pokc and the double tactical as being a huge factor in the rise in attendances but I've probably missed the most obvious factor, fans have been flocking to tracks to watch the wobbly foreigners come good on our tracks and the promoters must be kicking themselves for killing that particular goose by getting shut and replacing them with the hapless FT riders.

Surely the fast track will only last one season and then we can get back to watching the Gormleskis of this world strut their stuff and see the crowd numbers soar.

Double burp!!

You can say what you want but generally crowds are down. The EL has been watered down year on year and this year, the BSPA hit a new low with the draft rider concept. Others have different opinions and that is their prerogative but can speedway really afford to lose more fans?

By the way, did your mother not tell you it was rude to burp? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yep, I've been watching speedway for a few years and you can't argue with that!

Don't know what it's got to do with the fast track riders though?

In fact having superstar reserves used to be a bigger advantage as the mystery reserve turns out to be another foreign wonder boy learning to be World Champion on our tracks and he gets to replace the crappy foreigners in his team during a meeting on his way to seven rides every week.

The issues, which have been discussed a couple of times are, what happens when a second string who has upped his average simply due to riding twice against the FT riders, is able to be replaced by a much better rider in time for the pokc and what's the plan for next season.

I would have preferred it had the original concept been retained because it would have helped the riders more but just because my team has lost out compared to some others I won't be moaning about the best thing to happen to British speedway for a long long time.

With the fast track system as it stands, those teams with poor reserves are effectively dead in the water. They have no way of improving the team, and are stuck with riders who are clearly not good enough. A good idea but badly implemented...

• Like 1

I did have my hand over my mouth

The advantage to a team with an outstanding reserve was much greater than it is now. In the past teams with gormleski reserves just dumped them for another uslesski reserve, it was unusual to see a noticeable improvement.

What we have now is the spread of ability at reserve is much smaller than it used to be (GP riders v NL riders) and those better reserves now aren't good enough to take seven rides and clean up in the process.

It's a good idea, no it's a brilliant idea and it was carefully thought through, then spoilt a bit by some arsehole promoters when they realised Belle Vue would have Garrity and Worrall at reserve, and it is difficult to see how it could have been done any other way without creating more issues.

If you've got a better way of introducing two British riders at reserve into every team then don't keep it a secret.

I would have had the two British riders at reserve, but only had one from a draft that had protected rides..

• Like 1

The advantage to a team with an outstanding reserve was much greater than it is now. In the past teams with gormleski reserves just dumped them for another uslesski reserve, it was unusual to see a noticeable improvement.

What we have now is the spread of ability at reserve is much smaller than it used to be (GP riders v NL riders) and those better reserves now aren't good enough to take seven rides and clean up in the process.

It's a good idea, no it's a brilliant idea and it was carefully thought through, then spoilt a bit by some arsehole promoters when they realised Belle Vue would have Garrity and Worrall at reserve, and it is difficult to see how it could have been done any other way without creating more issues.

If you've got a better way of introducing two British riders at reserve into every team then don't keep it a secret.

From what I've seen, Lewis Kerr IS good enough to take seven rides and clean up in the process. So you think it would be fair to have Garrity and Worrall at reserve? Why are the likes of Auty and Birks not included and others of their ability - that would help develop them rather than dump them out of the EL.

From what I've seen, Lewis Kerr IS good enough to take seven rides and clean up in the process. So you think it would be fair to have Garrity and Worrall at reserve? Why are the likes of Auty and Birks not included and others of their ability - that would help develop them rather than dump them out of the EL.

Kerr is averaging 8 ftom reserve. If he was at second string I think he'd be aversging around 4.5 which would make him one of the weakest second strings in the comp. I cant think of sny team in the league that would give Kerr 7 rides if they hsd him st reseve (maybe bv replacing pslm toft).

Agree, with hindsight auty and birks should have been included in the draft. The draft was probsbly hslf a dozen riders short in terms of quality - if u added thise two, plus the likes of bates and wright it would be a definite improvement imho - maybe next year.

Edited by waihekeaces1