British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Coventry V Lakeside 5th May

Good win last night didn't think we had a hope of getting the three points at one stage. Good to see Harris using his Head for a change with the cut back's. Should never have had the interval.

• Like 1

What's your app Phil from Coventry?

"speedway programme" its an android app.

very good it is to, free as well, from Poland.

only minor ting is the away team score comes first but apart from that very good

only minor ting is the away team score comes first but apart from that very good

I use this app to when watching EL or GPs at home, its very good.

If Lakeside did fiddle things last night they did it badly! Able to use Bech who had two wins or PK who had 3 1 at that point which would have allowed them to pick the better of Lawson or PK in heat 10. From looking at numbers and reading updates it seemed a very odd way of doing things. Hindsight says it could not have done any worse too as PK come last!

I guess they couldn't use Bech (he's No 1 in our averages), had to use One up from Davey and any below!

Edited by Speedwaycrazy

I guess they couldn't use Bech (he's No 1 in our averages), had to use One up from Davey and any below!

Bech, certainly not as Davey is second in the Hammers averages and the 'new' rules allow only riders below him average wise, to take his remaining rides.

Helps if I read the rule. Only riders below can take the rider - I just assumed it was R/R but it's not quite. Makes more sense now.

Nice little topsy-turvy battle last night.

Not sure what happened to Watty to cause his withdrawal. PK looking jaded in most rides. Sorry, but two last places and a third from 5 rides isn't his usual return, and we need to see better. Adam Ellis looked desperately slow - shutting off into the bends like someone on a practice day. Then, partnering Lewis in Heat 14, he rode like a man possessed for a 5-1. Meanwhile, Liam Carr looked out of his depth at this level if I'm brutally frank - although he may have been riding injured after his fall during his first ride. Bridger - improved but what on earth was he thinking in a heat 11 - went into the 1/2 bends with far too much power and shut off; then gave up! Why does Lewis do this? His bike was still under power as he rode it back to the pits after the heat. At least keep going Lewis - someone else could always pack up or slide off, etc!

Onto our two stars - take a bow Richard Lawson and Mikkel Bech. Richard was our only rider who, in his 6 rides, didn't get a last place. I really don't think that there's enough Lakeside Supporters giving this guy due recognition. He is Mr. Consistency - and just goes about his work in the Number 2 berth doing what's expected + more. Nothing flashy. Nothing controversial. I've said this on the Lakeside Forum - give me a team of 7 Richard Lawson's, and I'll show you how to win the league.

And Mikkel Bech - this boy is a revelation. An extremely fast rider - not necessarily a gater either. But for a 19 year-old, what a speedway head on young shoulders. Willing to try every racing line and never gives up. Heat 13 last night, and Bech's race with Hans and Bomber was worth the admission in my opinion.

Also, WELL DONE MIKKEL BECH for your sportsmanship and professionalism in Heat 15. I'm not saying this because I am a Lakeside Supporter, but I can think of quite a few riders who in a last heat decider, may not have got their bike off the track so quickly having fallen - if at all. A great gesture particularly because it must have been clear we were on a reverse 5-1.

I would rather lose a point through honesty and go home empty-handed, then gain a point through cheating. I can think of some supporters from a different club that couldn't ever get their head around that ideology.

Moving onto our hosts. Hans had an up and down night - wondering if he's still carrying sickness from Saturday? Bomber looked on much better form after a dire opening ride - great to see him returning to something like his former self - still a very exciting rider to watch. Ryan has improved so much since the early days - again, a rider who just gives total effort and chips away hitting numbers, akin to Richard Lawson. I happily donated to his fund - because irrespective of some anti-feelings expressed above:

1. He needs his family here

2. He always entertains me

3. When he's guested for Lakeside, he has always given us everything for the cause

Kyle and the reserves look very solid - particularly impressed with James Sarjeant. Your weak link at the moment appears to be Kenneth Hansen - who appeared last night to have this uncanny knack of finding, and riding, the worst racing lines around Brandon.

So overall, I would have loved to have grabbed a point - and Richard Lawson nearly did that right on the line in Heat 15. A good night of speedway whereby the score was not decided until the last second of the last lap. Can it get better than that?

The track looked good enough to me - but people, who have never ridden a speedway bike in their lives, will always moan. But there clearly were passing lines both inside and outside - as proven by Mikkel.

Faults - 2 instant coffees and 1 tea (in a SMALL polystyrene cup) costing £4.70 is an utter pee take - snack bar 2nd bend.

Cov - who on this earth is your announcer? Gawd blimey he is absolutely dire. Appears to be pretty clueless about Speedway - just coming out with the same mundane, boring rhetoric over and over. There were long pauses when the records stopped playing, and subsequent gaps of long, utter silences. I wondered if he'd nodded off; or was busily going through his record collection to try and find something a little more modern than 1975. Then, when you don't need to hear him, he starts chiming in during the last lap of a race! The crowd last night may not have been your biggest - and atmosphere was pretty subdued. But he did hardly anything to get the crowd going or spark any enthusiasm. He sounds like a DJ that you'd hear on some obscure local radio station - who'd been put out to grass on the 2-6am shift. I'm not being picky for the sake of it - but this guy must be the worst I've heard for many, many years.

Well done Cov on your win - fully deserved. Looking forward to visiting you again in August (or maybe June to see you beat Poole - by which time they will probably have carried out more sackings and introduced more controversial additions to their ever-changing pack)!

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 7

Just to add that Davey Watt's sister has advised that he had to withdraw from the meeting after his hand got hit by a rock.

Knowing Davey, he isn't the sort of guy to pull out of a meeting unless he is genuinely injured. And unlike Leicester's doctor, I assume that Cov's actually examined him before deeming him unfit to ride.

• Like 1

Where can I find it? Doesn't come up on play store?

Cheers

Shale Searcher

*******UPDATE********

Found it....... Spelt programme wrong, well predictive did!!

SS

Edited by Shale Searcher

Nice little topsy-turvy battle last night.

Not sure what happened to Watty to cause his withdrawal. PK looking jaded in most rides. Sorry, but two last places and a third from 5 rides isn't his usual return, and we need to see better. Adam Ellis looked desperately slow - shutting off into the bends like someone on a practice day. Then, partnering Lewis in Heat 14, he rode like a man possessed for a 5-1. Meanwhile, Liam Carr looked out of his depth at this level if I'm brutally frank - although he may have been riding injured after his fall during his first ride. Bridger - improved but what on earth was he thinking in a heat 11 - went into the 1/2 bends with far too much power and shut off; then gave up! Why does Lewis do this? His bike was still under power as he rode it back to the pits after the heat. At least keep going Lewis - someone else could always pack up or slide off, etc!

Onto our two stars - take a bow Richard Lawson and Mikkel Bech. Richard was our only rider who, in his 6 rides, didn't get a last place. I really don't think that there's enough Lakeside Supporters giving this guy due recognition. He is Mr. Consistency - and just goes about his work in the Number 2 berth doing what's expected + more. Nothing flashy. Nothing controversial. I've said this on the Lakeside Forum - give me a team of 7 Richard Lawson's, and I'll show you how to win the league.

And Mikkel Bech - this boy is a revelation. An extremely fast rider - not necessarily a gater either. But for a 19 year-old, what a speedway head on young shoulders. Willing to try every racing line and never gives up. Heat 13 last night, and Bech's race with Hans and Bomber was worth the admission in my opinion.

Also, WELL DONE MIKKEL BECH for your sportsmanship and professionalism in Heat 15. I'm not saying this because I am a Lakeside Supporter, but I can think of quite a few riders who in a last heat decider, may not have got their bike off the track so quickly having fallen - if at all. A great gesture particularly because it must have been clear we were on a reverse 5-1.

I would rather lose a point through honesty and go home empty-handed, then gain a point through cheating. I can think of some supporters from a different club that couldn't ever get their head around that ideology.

Moving onto our hosts. Hans had an up and down night - wondering if he's still carrying sickness from Saturday? Bomber looked on much better form after a dire opening ride - great to see him returning to something like his former self - still a very exciting rider to watch. Ryan has improved so much since the early days - again, a rider who just gives total effort and chips away hitting numbers, akin to Richard Lawson. I happily donated to his fund - because irrespective of some anti-feelings expressed above:

1. He needs his family here

2. He always entertains me

3. When he's guested for Lakeside, he has always given us everything for the cause

Kyle and the reserves look very solid - particularly impressed with James Sarjeant. Your weak link at the moment appears to be Kenneth Hansen - who appeared last night to have this uncanny knack of finding, and riding, the worst racing lines around Brandon.

So overall, I would have loved to have grabbed a point - and Richard Lawson nearly did that right on the line in Heat 15. A good night of speedway whereby the score was not decided until the last second of the last lap. Can it get better than that?

The track looked good enough to me - but people, who have never ridden a speedway bike in their lives, will always moan. But there clearly were passing lines both inside and outside - as proven by Mikkel.

Faults - 2 instant coffees and 1 tea (in a SMALL polystyrene cup) costing £4.70 is an utter pee take - snack bar 2nd bend.

Cov - who on this earth is your announcer? Gawd blimey he is absolutely dire. Appears to be pretty clueless about Speedway - just coming out with the same mundane, boring rhetoric over and over. There were long pauses when the records stopped playing, and subsequent gaps of long, utter silences. I wondered if he'd nodded off; or was busily going through his record collection to try and find something a little more modern than 1975. Then, when you don't need to hear him, he starts chiming in during the last lap of a race! The crowd last night may not have been your biggest - and atmosphere was pretty subdued. But he did hardly anything to get the crowd going or spark any enthusiasm. He sounds like a DJ that you'd hear on some obscure local radio station - who'd been put out to grass on the 2-6am shift. I'm not being picky for the sake of it - but this guy must be the worst I've heard for many, many years.

Well done Cov on your win - fully deserved. Looking forward to visiting you again in August (or maybe June to see you beat Poole - by which time they will probably have carried out more sackings and introduced more controversial additions to their ever-changing pack)!

That will be the "infamous" Peter York. Never around when you need him but always manages to make comments when they are not required. You are right he is an old DJ , he worked with BBC Radio Birmingham back in the early 1970's and he hasn't changed his act since then.

In fairness he works with a roving microphone, not in the announcers box so it's unlikely that he had anything to do with the music being played.However if there is anyone who so obviously past his sell by date, then he is the man. :D

• Like 4

Ahhhhh, just checked the programme. Yes indeed, Peter York - a name from the past. The very long, distant past.

Fair play he may not have been the DJ - albeit I bet it was his record collection. I bet he's also got a Ronco record cleaner and stores them in a K-Tel record rack! ;)

Truly embarrassing.

• Like 2

This DRAFT LIST reserves lark is really annoying me,Joe jacobs could have rode at Sittingbourne but turned out for wolves,BUT Ben Morley turned out for the Kings in the same match!!!. leaving Lakeside an elite!! league team searching for a guest!!!Try telling that to a new speedway fan,and see the look you get on their face.someone somewhere has lost the plot.

Edited by speedwaysliders

Agree about Bech in heat 15, brilliant sportsmanship and did get an applause from crowd when got up. Shame we don't see that more often.

The downside for me was the music which was older than most of the riders and crowd. With it being a family sport would be nice to have a mix of money rather than just 70s.

• Like 2

This DRAFT LIST reserves lark is really annoying me,Joe jacobs could have rode at Sittingbourne but turned out for wolves,BUT Ben Morley turned out for the Kings in the same match!!!. leaving Lakeside an elite!! league team searching for a guest!!!Try telling that to a new speedway fan,and see the look you get on their face.someone somewhere has lost the plot.

Totally agree. Why is the senior league playing 3rd fiddle to the PL and the NL?! Especially when EL clubs are forced to sign these riders unlike the PL and NL who have a choice.