British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Coventry V Lakeside 5th May

Perhaps Trevor Randle could comment on the dire presentation that we are forced to endure this season. If i remember correctly, he was the guy who instigated the replacement DJ and announcer for this season who lasted for precisely one meeting. However, we are still left with a Centre Green Announcer who buggers off every meeting after 5 or so races, never to reappear! Last night he even stopped announcing the riders for the latter heats, so no one knew what the lineups were or if replacements had been made. The whole atmosphere this season has been dire in the stadium, the top bar closes immediately after the last Elite/Storm heat pushing punters to the lower bar area where for the last umpteen years, music has been provided, and up to date music at that, to enjoy with a drink and conversation between supporters and a few riders alike.I notice that the National Anthem record has been re-commisioned after the Sandhu years, but this is the only stadium to my knowledge that plays this tune. Are we delving for some reason into the past at Coventry, replacing knowledgeable speedway people who were known to provide Coventry with one of the best presentation packages in speedway for the sake of saving a few bob off the wage bill? As the saying goes, you get what you pay for in this life, and it would seem that this promotion prefer to pay nowt and give nowt to the paying public. Wake up Coventry, you were known to be the best speedway in the land yet suddenly cost cutting has made you one of the worst.

• Like 7

The Voice of Reason......I won't quote it again but your post was a very good and unbiased summing up of the meeting and you live up to your forum name. :lol: I must say Mikkel Bech is very impressive!

I don't buy anything to drink there but £4.70p for 2 small Coffees and a Tea seems rather an extortionate price. Perhaps the understand bar would be cheaper next time you visit?

Just to add that Davey Watt's sister has advised that he had to withdraw from the meeting after his hand got hit by a rock.

Knowing Davey, he isn't the sort of guy to pull out of a meeting unless he is genuinely injured. And unlike Leicester's doctor, I assume that Cov's actually examined him before deeming him unfit to ride.

Not sure what to make of this because someone else, usually a very reliable source of what goes on at Brandon, said on Facebook that it was part of a Banger Car. (There was a meeting last Saturday.) Either way - rock or bit off a car it shouldn't have been anywhere on the track. Strange too after all the preparation beforehand getting the track ready and the riders practising, plus the Thompson twins doing a few laps, that it wasn't noticed. Are you sure someone didn't lob it his way during the race? :lol:

Perhaps Trevor Randle could comment on the dire presentation that we are forced to endure this season. If i remember correctly, he was the guy who instigated the replacement DJ and announcer for this season who lasted for precisely one meeting. However, we are still left with a Centre Green Announcer who buggers off every meeting after 5 or so races, never to reappear! Last night he even stopped announcing the riders for the latter heats, so no one knew what the lineups were or if replacements had been made. The whole atmosphere this season has been dire in the stadium, the top bar closes immediately after the last Elite/Storm heat pushing punters to the lower bar area where for the last umpteen years, music has been provided, and up to date music at that, to enjoy with a drink and conversation between supporters and a few riders alike.I notice that the National Anthem record has been re-commisioned after the Sandhu years, but this is the only stadium to my knowledge that plays this tune. Are we delving for some reason into the past at Coventry, replacing knowledgeable speedway people who were known to provide Coventry with one of the best presentation packages in speedway for the sake of saving a few bob off the wage bill? As the saying goes, you get what you pay for in this life, and it would seem that this promotion prefer to pay nowt and give nowt to the paying public. Wake up Coventry, you were known to be the best speedway in the land yet suddenly cost cutting has made you one of the worst.

Predictable I'm afraid, after so many years of being such a well run club it is so sad to see the state we are in now.

im glad someone else has mentioned the music

never heard such rubbish, the DJ must have stopped buying ,music around the time cylinders became obsolete!

i give up on York, twined with Alan partridge, but not as funny!

and the national anthem, either play it or don't, 15 second blast is pointless

what is the point of the "start tarts" as well? not very glamorous either. it belongs to 70's sun newspaper

• Like 2

im glad someone else has mentioned the music

never heard such rubbish, the DJ must have stopped buying ,music around the time cylinders became obsolete!

i give up on York, twined with Alan partridge, but not as funny!

and the national anthem, either play it or don't, 15 second blast is pointless

what is the point of the "start tarts" as well? not very glamorous either. it belongs to 70's sun newspaper

I had never heard most of the songs played but noticed some of them were repeated several times. Lots of people laughing at naff songs in the stands.

Can the DJ please find some up to date music. Kills the atmosphere if really dated esp when family support

It wouldve been better if the promotion didnt have to let Chris Simpson go, I dont think that was entirely their choice. Having said that surely they could link up with one of the radio stations for presentation and music.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 4

When we came up for the Easter meeting against Leicester, we said much the same as everyone here.

I don't know the real reason why the Simpson's were binned from doing the presentation, but it was a huge own goal. The presentation over the last few years has been slick, up to date and definitely made the atmosphere at Brandon.

They bang on about promoting the product, but then take a backwards step with the presentation. It's absolutely awful. Surely someone else could have been brought in to do it?

The pathetic attempt at the national anthem, that sounded like some old gramaphone record, wasn't even cued in correctly, excruciatingly embarrassing :oops:

If it hadn't have been for the vocal Leicester fans, the place would have been dead! We tried to buy a air horn from the track shop. They didn't have any and we we're told they are considering banning them altogether!

We went in to the understand bar after the meeting. That place used to be rammed with people, riders and management..The were a handful of the old faces, but that was it.. :o

There is so much more to the experience of a meeting than just the racing and having been desperate to go up to see a meeting and looking forward to it for weeks, I left feeling disappointed.

Oh, how things have changed at Brandon

• Like 4

The Simpson's are ready and waiting Jacques, we just need a call and we'll be there ;) x

For god same Coventry. Pick up the phone before people nod off during the meetings!

• Like 5

I'm pretty much at the end of my ether with Coventry Speedway. If it isn't the choice of team management, it's the track. If it isn't the track, it's the godawful presentation. There really is no atmosphere now. Perhaps best to knock it on the head before it gets even worse?

Never give up on your team mate.

The track to me looked fine - maybe a little over-watered for the early heats. I did actually notice after the first three heats especially (as I was standing near the track entry gate/2nd turn) that riders were coming back in after the heats absolutely caked in shale - so clearly visibility was an issue for anyone that didn't trap. However, I thought the tractor grading did the job thereafter.

Presentation - yep, a bit of a time-warp but nothing that cannot be improved upon IF the promotion listens.

Team-wise, I think you've got a team to be proud of supporting. Excellent strength in depth - with potentially two of the strongest fast-trackers I've yet seen at numbers 6 & 7.

Based upon the quality of racing that I saw last night, Lakeside will not be my only visits to Brandon this season.

Keep the faif !! ;)

• Like 6

Love your posts Voice of reason. Lovely to hear somebody who is positive and loves speedway.

What I have liked about post Lakeside v Coventry and this thread, is the friendly banter & positive reviews on both teams by both sets of fans (music aside lol)

Nice to see 2 sets of fans getting on well & enjoying speedway)

• Like 6

The Simpson's are ready and waiting Jacques, we just need a call and we'll be there ;) x

Are you reading this Mick or Neil?!! As Chris is back again at Birmingham his absence from Coventry can't be anything to do with the BSPA. I know you normally take notice of what the fans want so can we end the experiment with the different 'music man' and get Chris back because it's not worked. And while we're on about things not working ditch the National Anthem as well. :mad:

• Like 4

Haven't seen anything yet about the total money raised for Ryan and his family yet. Either at Coventry or Peterborough or both. I would have thought only fair to those who contributed to the collection to be told how it went. I know Ryan received £250 from the proceeds of the Brandon 50/50.

Totally agree with the other comments about the presentation and also bemused at the need for an interval when rain was imminent. As a speedway fan first and Coventry fan second I felt cheated of a decent heat 15 because of the rain. This could have been avoided with a bit of common sense.

• Like 1

I'm pretty much at the end of my ether with Coventry Speedway. If it isn't the choice of team management, it's the track. If it isn't the track, it's the godawful presentation. There really is no atmosphere now. Perhaps best to knock it on the head before it gets even worse?

To be completely honest, after our Easter experience. I'm sorry to say we won't be in a rush to come up again anytime soon :(

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1