British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Coventry V Swindon 9th May

I may be blind but can't say I saw a lot of dust. The track did look challenging, especially early on, and I know some riders commented on some very large pieces of material which were evident during the track walk (so something not quite right obviously)

Good little fightback by Coventry, with Swindon almost blowing a decent lead. In the end the big difference was Steve Worrall, a rider in form. Any elite league team with a double figure draft rider will win matches this year. Some interesting averages starting to be calculated with the new format, god only knows what they will do next year, with plenty of false averages. For what its worth I didn't think it was that bad last night, I've certainly seen a lot worse at Brandon.

• Like 2

I fulfilled a long time goal last hosting an Elite League Match at Coventry. Many thanks to the Coventry Management for bringing us in to do the presentation and music etc. In particular big thanks to Neil and Blayne for all your support. Saw a different Bomber last night throwing some shapes in the understand disco afterwards, top bloke :) Any pointers or comments happily received and looking forward to the next match 👍

• Like 5

well done the Robins. looking a good side. i think Kennett is a shoe in for Gustafsson and should score more you would think. I did warn you all about North though. No better than Klindt i sais and im being proved right.

Hope to see Swindon or Coventry in the plsy offs two good sides

Didn't speak to a single Bees fan that thought this was winnable before tapes up, so no surprise to lose.

Bumbling management, promotion and riders hiding behind the excuse of a slick track.

And we move onto Eastbourne without Andersen (no facility), Harris and Garrity. Shambles.

• Like 1

I fulfilled a long time goal last hosting an Elite League Match at Coventry. Many thanks to the Coventry Management for bringing us in to do the presentation and music etc. In particular big thanks to Neil and Blayne for all your support. Saw a different Bomber last night throwing some shapes in the understand disco afterwards, top bloke :) Any pointers or comments happily received and looking forward to the next match

Well done Chris. The one bright spot of last night..

• Like 4

Kennett will be back at Swindon I am sure of it because there is no other riders out there on Gustafsson's average.

Why are you obsessed with Kennett? Hes absolutely gash and just like Harris, Bridger, Barker etc he has peaked and hes going downhill. He would be an awful signing.

Im sure it would be a 5 point assessed foreigner if we make a change.

I have just caught up on the opinions and must say it's nice to read a thread where speedway fans are discussing and debating speedway in a friendly civil manner without the derision of certain South Coast troll like individuals, happy days.

I was gutted the stream was not available but delighted by the result for the Robins, and great to see the young top 2 starting to mature into a real force, and for Steve W to show his form for the Robins as well as everyone else :)

Commiserations to the Bees and their fans, I sincerely hope things pick up soon, Hans is a great No 1 and I'm sure can lead you back!

Edited by 65Sarge
  • Like 3

Why all the doom and gloom? I predicted we will lose a few at home but perform well away and that is what is happening so far, I think we are still on course for a play off spot. It seems there was a meeting last night with the promotion, riders and track staff, the track certainly needs to be prepared for our riders strengths. Our track is neutral enough as it is.

• Like 1

Why all the doom and gloom? I predicted we will lose a few at home but perform well away and that is what is happening so far, I think we are still on course for a play off spot. It seems there was a meeting last night with the promotion, riders and track staff, the track certainly needs to be prepared for our riders strengths. Our track is neutral enough as it is.

You're kidding? This is an 8th place team. It will finish just behind Wolves and just ahead of Leicester and Bham.

Eastbourne will knock up 70 next Saturday when we arrive with Terry-Daley in number 1!

I've tried to defend Bomber but he looks like he's riding a bicycle out there. Putting dirt on the track would've made bugger all difference last night.

We were beaten by a team that looks miles better than us on paper and proved it on the track.

• Like 1

The doom and gloom for me came from one of the most boring meetings I've had the displeasure to witness. A dust bowl procession. How I yearn to see Coventry's racers actually race. If that was speedway, it wasn't speedway as I know it and love it.

No complaints on presentation and good to see the Simpsons back. But Mr York's contributions were a total waste of time.. I couldn't hear a word of his interviews, with sound cutting out and very loud, annoying white noise hissing around the stadium. Everyone around me was remarking 'thank god' when he shut up. And then at the interval he cut directly across David Hammond while he was still talking! The guy really isn't worth the petrol money.

And yet Chris' pits interview was totally clear. Good to hear some of the regular tunes and build ups to races. It certainly gave the night it's only sense of drama.

In fact it was the only positive on a depressing, dusty night.

• Like 2

I agree. We have the best away record in the league, one of the best reserve pairings and sti only 1point off top 4 spot.

Speedway is a funny thing, for example the only team to take points at Poole so far are Birmingham but cant against easier teams.

Get the track sorted where there is dirt on it and we will be banging in the points. Still never lost by more than 8 anywhere.

Another negative is amount of meetings with several riders missing esp when no facility will be granted for Hans at Eastbourne.

• Like 1

The doom and gloom for me came from one of the most boring meetings I've had the displeasure to witness. A dust bowl procession. How I yearn to see Coventry's racers actually race. If that was speedway, it wasn't speedway as I know it and love it.

No complaints on presentation and good to see the Simpsons back. But Mr York's contributions were a total waste of time.. I couldn't hear a word of his interviews, with sound cutting out and very loud, annoying white noise hissing around the stadium. Everyone around me was remarking 'thank god' when he shut up. And then at the interval he cut directly across David Hammond while he was still talking! The guy really isn't worth the petrol money.

And yet Chris' pits interview was totally clear. Good to hear some of the regular tunes and build ups to races. It certainly gave the night it's only sense of drama.

In fact it was the only positive on a depressing, dusty night.

And on the odd occasion that we could hear Yorkie he managed to ask some very silly questions, the best one when the two bees reserves were out in Ht9 and Sarjeant broke the tapes. Yorkie rushes over to Scroggins (I think it was) and asked what are we going to do now? Everyone around me burst into laughter.. :lol:

• Like 4

I may be a bit biased being a Robins fan but I didn't think the meeting was as bad as some people are making it out to be. I do acknowledge though the Bees riders seemed to be struggling with the track and if its not consistent week in week out the home team loses the advantage. Summers, Garrity and Bomber all managed passes on Swindon riders and the Bees went in to heat 15 with a chance of salvaging a draw following the the fight back in the previous 3 heats.

I did expect Hans to get a bit more support from Bomber and Hansen but it just didn't happen on the night.

Great effort by the Bobbins especially Steve Worrall who's come in for some unjustified flak from some Swindon fans.

Finally, just a word about Brandon; its a great place to watch speedway, by far the best stadium for the sport in the UK. Its a travesty that its being sold off.

• Like 2

What a borefest. Good size crowd in again and they go and shoot themselves in the foot by serving up one of the slickest, dustiest tracks I've seen in a long time. Zilch entertainment value apart from the long overdue return of the Simpsons, with Chris finally replacing Yorkie on the centre brown, and the old buzzard relegated to unintelligible white noise style 'interviews' in the pits..I think I'll give the next meeting a miss. What a let down!

Thanks for your honesty mate ! As someone who wasn't there I have to trawl thro 4 pages of people slagging off, or praising the riders of which ever team they support.Lets have more comment on what the meeting was really like rather than just a reaction to the result,and what it means to your team.
  • Like 4

And on the odd occasion that we could hear Yorkie he managed to ask some very silly questions, the best one when the two bees reserves were out in Ht9 and Sarjeant broke the tapes. Yorkie rushes over to Scroggins (I think it was) and asked what are we going to do now? Everyone around me burst into laughter.. :lol:

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten that in a fog of dust. Priceless moment!