British Speedway Forum
teddy2706

Scottish Speedway And The Independance Vote

Why should independent Scots not be British. Or is the country going to be cut away from the rest of Britain and towed elsewhere?

The vote is to not be part of the United Kingdom aka Great Britain.

Correct. The vote is to be, or not to be, part of the UK.

Nothing to do with Great Britain, which is an island.

Which Scotland is irrevocably part of.

Scots will still be "British" -- just as they were between 1314 and 1707.

I guess we could dig a trench roughly where Hadrian built his wall and push Scotland out to sea!

Northern Ireland is part of the United kingdom, some of them would go nuts if you stated other wise. Eire and all the other countries make up the British Isles, which contains all the five 2 Irish states, Wales, Scotland and England and all the surrounding Isles. This was pointed out to me when I started my weather webcam page on the internet by a rather berate man that lived in Eire when I called it The United Kingdom weather wecam page and he told me that they where not part of it, so I changed the name before I had anymore complaints.

Edited by weatherwatcher

In the event of independence, the Scots want to retain the Monarch as their Head of State, to which they also have every right as she is the Queen of Great Britain, notwithstanding that she is often referred to as the Queen of England. Which should theoretically mean a new title to the new separate Union of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. That could be interesting.

It would depend. When James I (or VI if you're Scottish) ascended to the throne of England, he became King of Great Britain, France and Ireland although arguably he was separately King of England, King of Scotland and King of Ireland (although the Crown of Ireland was somewhat titular, and France nothing but a legal fiction). It became a moot point upon the political union of England and Scotland, and then later Ireland, but the current Queen is actually separately Queen of the individual Commonwealth Realms as well as the UK.

So I'd imagine the Queen would become Queen of Scotland in addition to being Queen of the United Kingdom, along with all her other Commonwealth queenships. Despite what the Scottish nationalists claim, the UK would not cease to exist if Scotland left - there were Acts of Union with Wales prior to Scotland, and there were Acts of Union with Ireland which are still in force (although the latter now only applies to Northern Ireland).

Eire and all the other countries make up the British Isles, which contains all the five 2 Irish states, Wales, Scotland and England and all the surrounding Isles. This was pointed out to me when I started my weather webcam page on the internet by a rather berate man that lived in Eire when I called it The United Kingdom weather wecam page and he told me that they where not part of it, so I changed the name before I had anymore complaints.

Some Irish get miffed even with the British Isles, and woe betide you calling the country 'Eire' even though it's the name of the country in Gaelic. I think the politically correct term is 'Western European Isles' or some such nonsense... :rolleyes:

It would depend. When James I (or VI if you're Scottish) ascended to the throne of England, he became King of Great Britain, France and Ireland although arguably he was separately King of England, King of Scotland and King of Ireland (although the Crown of Ireland was somewhat titular, and France nothing but a legal fiction). It became a moot point upon the political union of England and Scotland, and then later Ireland, but the current Queen is actually separately Queen of the individual Commonwealth Realms as well as the UK.

So I'd imagine the Queen would become Queen of Scotland in addition to being Queen of the United Kingdom, along with all her other Commonwealth queenships. Despite what the Scottish nationalists claim, the UK would not cease to exist if Scotland left - there were Acts of Union with Wales prior to Scotland, and there were Acts of Union with Ireland which are still in force (although the latter now only applies to Northern Ireland).

Some Irish get miffed even with the British Isles, and woe betide you calling the country 'Eire' even though it's the name of the country in Gaelic. I think the politically correct term is 'Western European Isles' or some such nonsense... :rolleyes:

Queen Elizabeth II of England and Queen Elizabeth I of Scots.

Edited by The White Knight

Rant resumed. Just had a quick look at scotreferendum.com. It is all about what the power junkies say will happen if the electorate are daft enough to vote for independence. No mention that the rest of the UK just might not lie down and let them have all their own way.

If it's as difficult for Scotland to naff off from England as it seems to be for Had Enough to leave this forum then we will never be rid of the Blighters :)

Can't they just stop bothering us here in the main part of Great Britain and with luck we will have forgotten they exist by the end of the century.

Never understood what use they were to England in the first place as it's always raining there and the Scots have never been grateful for us civilising them and allowing them to use our language and currency.

They can now revert to speaking Gaelic and using the 'sheep' as their unit of currency.

Any chance of them taking he Welsh with them :)

If it's as difficult for Scotland to naff off from England as it seems to be for Had Enough to leave this forum then we will never be rid of the Blighters :)

Can't they just stop bothering us here in the main part of Great Britain and with luck we will have forgotten they exist by the end of the century.

Never understood what use they were to England in the first place as it's always raining there and the Scots have never been grateful for us civilising them and allowing them to use our language and currency.

They can now revert to speaking Gaelic and using the 'sheep' as their unit of currency.

...and to provide so many brave soldiers for our armed forces!

Northern Ireland is part of the United kingdom, some of them would go nuts if you stated other wise. Eire and all the other countries make up the British Isles, which contains all the five 2 Irish states, Wales, Scotland and England and all the surrounding Isles. This was pointed out to me when I started my weather webcam page on the internet by a rather berate man that lived in Eire when I called it The United Kingdom weather wecam page and he told me that they where not part of it, so I changed the name before I had anymore complaints.

I think the person in the Republic o Ireland/Eire or whatever has every right to complain. They are a Republic and independent members of the dreaded EU (as we are).

Rant resumed. Just had a quick look at scotreferendum.com. It is all about what the power junkies say will happen if the electorate are daft enough to vote for independence. No mention that the rest of the UK just might not lie down and let them have all their own way.

That website is an interesting work of fiction...

Queen Elizabeth II of England and Queen Elizabeth I of Scotland.

It's 'of Scots' not 'Scotland'.

The term Great Britain was used in 1474 to draw up the instrument to marry off Edward IV of England's daughter Cecily to James, the son of James III of Scotland. However other people are right about the British Isles, despite the Irish gentleman spitting his dummy over it, but British Isles is a geographic, not political term.

Scotland post independance will still be part of the British Isles, but not necessarily be part of Great Britain, United Kingdom or even British. They may prefer to be regarded as Scottish rather than British, I certainly prefer to be regarded as English not British.

It could be argued that the English, Welsh and Northern Irish are entitled to a referendum to determine whether we want to keep Scotland within the United Kingdom or not!

Regardless, what I asked was if we could still enjoy having Glasgow and Edinburgh in British speedway, I for one, sincerely hope we do, I like watching their teams and talking to their supporters.

However, given the speed of reaction of the BSPA, I doubt they have even considered this issue. Certainly if the Speedway GB site is anything to go by they won't have, the rider index was last updated in 2011 I believe.

Scotland post independance will still be part of the British Isles, but not necessarily be part of Great Britain, United Kingdom or even British.

It still be part of Great Britain, as Great Britain is one of the British Isles.

It's 'of Scots' not 'Scotland'.

I will amend my Post. You are of course right - BUT - I wasn't sure that anyone on here would understand that.

Hope that helps.

Edited: Post amended.

As Gustix has already stated England were happy to use Highland Regiments in her many Wars. Many would say that the the British Empire was founded on the back of Regiments from Scotland and Wales.

Please do not dismiss a wonderful Country in such a cavalier fashion.

There have also been many beneficial inventions for mankind that are down to Scots (Penicillin to name one). Literature too would be the worse were it not for Scottish works (Sir Walter Scott, Rabbie Burns).

Perhaps gratitude to a Nation that has supported England 100% since the 'Union of Crowns' would not go amiss...........

Edited by The White Knight

There have also been many beneficial inventions for mankind that are down to Scots (Penicillin to name one). Literature too would be the worse were it not for Scottish works (Sir Walter Scott, Rabbie Burns).

Except Alexander Fleming invented penicillin in England, which I think sums up why the Union is important.

I'm not sure literature would entirely be worse without the florid romanticism of Walter Scott, who seems to be single-handedly responsible for what Scots believe is Scottishness, despite it not being grounded in much fact. And Rabbie Burns in between writing bloody awful poetry was a bit of a rotter... ;)

Except Alexander Fleming invented penicillin in England, which I think sums up why the Union is important.

I'm not sure literature would entirely be worse without the florid romanticism of Walter Scott, who seems to be single-handedly responsible for what Scots believe is Scottishness, despite it not being grounded in much fact. And Rabbie Burns in between writing bloody awful poetry was a bit of a rotter... ;)

/he was though - a Scot. :t: