British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TMW

Leicester V Poole 26/05

When I arrived at 1:30 the track was dry and the weather was dry. There was some water on the track but not serious. From approx 2:15 It rained almost continously, sometimes hard. The forecast was rain early evening not mid afternoon and so I feel that an early call off was not an option. After the announcement, DH walked around the terracing apologising to those that were still there: I think that was a decent gesture which he did not have to make.

So when you arrived was the track wet or dry ? You have contradicted yourself abit.

as far as I was aware it had been raining from 1pm and got heavy from 2pm yet people were told the track was fine when clearly it should of been called off before 3pm. Poole fans who travelled up will have something to say later for sure.

my girlfriend is not happy, she's soaking wet and she also can't watch Darcy now (her favorite rider)

To much imformation mate... :P

Very strange. Most young girls usually get a bit wet when they HAVE seen Darcy Ward!! - apparently!! :D:rofl:

Older 'girls' however are happy with the anticipation

• Like 1

Speak for yourself. :lol:

Nothing about Darcy Ward makes me anticipate anything, happy or otherwise. :P

• Like 1

So when you arrived was the track wet or dry ? You have contradicted yourself abit.

as far as I was aware it had been raining from 1pm and got heavy from 2pm yet people were told the track was fine when clearly it should of been called off before 3pm. Poole fans who travelled up will have something to say later for sure.

When I got there it was not raining. Living within ten minutes of the track, I would not have left home if it was raining. The track was wet but no more than when Glynn has given it a good watering. The rain started approx 2:15. There is no contradiction in what I said.

Right, after Saturday mornings storms/rain, and Saturday nights storms/rain, in excess of 18,000 gallons of water was pumped from the track and holding tanks.... The forecast for Monday was a fluid forecast that changed several times over the weekend, and was not a guaranteed forecast at any time, and if the track had been only 25 miles as the crow flys to the west or a tad further to the east, we wouldn't be discussing this now, because it was dry! (Ish) You cannot call off meetings based on will it/won't it forecasts, especially when the forecast is so inconclusive, you'd never run a meeting in the UK!!

The track was prepared for the possibility of pre meeting rain and in actual fact if the rain had stopped by 3:30 there's every chance there would have been a meeting!!!

Right, after Saturday mornings storms/rain, and Saturday nights storms/rain, in excess of 18,000 gallons of water was pumped from the track and holding tanks.... The forecast for Monday was a fluid forecast that changed several times over the weekend, and was not a guaranteed forecast at any time, and if the track had been only 25 miles as the crow flys to the west or a tad further to the east, we wouldn't be discussing this now, because it was dry! (Ish) You cannot call off meetings based on will it/won't it forecasts, especially when the forecast is so inconclusive, you'd never run a meeting in the UK!!

The track was prepared for the possibility of pre meeting rain and in actual fact if the rain had stopped by 3:30 there's every chance there would have been a meeting!!!

Totally agree with this. I checked the Met Office forecast when I left home at 2.00 p.m. and they were still forecasting a dry spell between 3.00 & 5.00 p.m.

Certainly the weather forecast that I looked at was misleading (The Met Office) which was a surprise to me, in the past they have been pretty much spot on. It said showers and sunny periods. Not 3 hours of continues rain. That's why I thought the meeting would be on.

Oh well..................I suppose even Michael Fish got it wrong.

Right after leaving my thoughts until today I have no idea why they let people in to pay there money and for fans like me a poole fan it had been raining for a good while before the time of 14.50pm when we arrived it was blatantly obvious huge track was in no fit state to race good sized puddles on the inside of the bends and both the home & back straights were way to icey and the skies were still full of rain. Waiting an extra 30 minutes was a complete waste of time as even a novice speedway fan coming along maybe for the first time would've seen it was a non starter ! And then the manager whom I have the opinion knows not a lot about speedway had the cheek to tell me I should've checked the weather before leaving !! What. Sorry love but I live in nottingham and the forecast seemed okay but obviously not as what folk have said already. Not happy at the shambolic way Leicester speedway has conducted itself and IMO nothing short of a disgrace...

• Like 1

Right after leaving my thoughts until today I have no idea why they let people in to pay there money and for fans like me a poole fan it had been raining for a good while before the time of 14.50pm when we arrived it was blatantly obvious huge track was in no fit state to race good sized puddles on the inside of the bends and both the home & back straights were way to icey and the skies were still full of rain. Waiting an extra 30 minutes was a complete waste of time as even a novice speedway fan coming along maybe for the first time would've seen it was a non starter ! And then the manager whom I have the opinion knows not a lot about speedway had the cheek to tell me I should've checked the weather before leaving !! What. Sorry love but I live in nottingham and the forecast seemed okay but obviously not as what folk have said already. Not happy at the shambolic way Leicester speedway has conducted itself and IMO nothing short of a disgrace...

It was unfortunate. I think the forecast caught most people out.

You do understand that your ticket can be used for another meeting or you can write in to Leicester speedway and get a refund.

Both sets of riders agreed to ride if the rain stopped and none said that they thought the track was unsafe. The surface water was brushed off and I am told Glyn and his team had more top surface to put on. That is why they gave it 30mins to see if rain stopped so visibility was the main reason for the postponement as confirmed by the ref.

• Like 2

Every forecast I saw on Monday for Leicester was light showers. The narrow band of rain that was meant to move to the west, stayed put. That's why wolves and Swindon saw some racing. It was still too much of a gamble for me to travel from London, a good call I reckon!

There was no shambles. I paid to get in and have no regrets. The track was perfectly ridable up to approx 2:40. The rain started approx 2:15 but was very light initially. Which "Manager" is it that you mentioned. David Hemsley walked the terraces after the call off, apologising to everyone who was still there.

• Like 1

I am a Lions fan and live 25 miles from BP. I run a local weather station there and the rainfall has been minimul I have just checked the rainfall close to BP and over the last 2 days we have had less than half an inch of rain in 2 days. So what is the problem with the tracks and why do they have to cancel mettings. That amount of rain should easily soak away on the track, so doe's the problem lay with the tracks.

Are they packed so hard these days that it stops the rain from soaking away into the surface, this to me seams a logical answer. I could understand it if we had something like 2 inches in a few hours but not with the amount of rain we had over the last 2 days. Something is terribly wrong somewhere.

Your rain gauge is not working properly, you're supposed to have it outside you know...... Are you a member of any weather forums? There's been nothing but chatter about the rainfall records tumbling for mm per hour!!

Why should the weather 25 miles away be the same as yours?