British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trees

2 Riders Sharing Number One Spot?

I'm now of the opinion that clubs should be allowed to do this in the future if they want, basically because I wanna see the top guys over here and our EL is pretty demanding on their schedule! What do you think? The only thing I would say is that the two riders should have the same amount of fixtures.

I'm now of the opinion that clubs should be allowed to do this in the future if they want, basically because I wanna see the top guys over here and our EL is pretty demanding on their schedule! What do you think? The only thing I would say is that the two riders should have the same amount of fixtures.

How many teams do you think could afford that though esp with teams like Birmingham & Eastbourne already under financial pressure.

• Like 1

I don't know but the possibility could be there.

Would it make financial sense for a rider to set up over in the UK for half a season ? Clubs would have to foot the bill for riders to do this. Also which one of the Grand Prix Riders would want a Thursday fixture prior to a Grand Prix ? On paper it's a great idea, in reality can't see it happening. We have to come to terms with the fact that even riders (Holder for example) who are based in the UK don't want to ride here. We are way down the pecking order.

• Like 1

It`ll never work. there will always be one rider of the two who wants more than his share !!!!

plus the inform rider will always get picked , and if he's not available promoters would'nt want to be forced to pick the other out of form number 1 and some teams would invent injurys to get a better guest rider ...so it wouldnt work

in theory it sounds good , but only if you have 2 identical quality riders , and that aint gonna happen

Appreciate what you are saying and the reasons why, but realistically it can never work. There are so many issues within the sport already this would only add to them. The logic of watching top riders has been well documented, but unfortunately their world revolves around 'MONEY'.

The biggest draw of this sport is excitement, equality, racing, environment, atmosphere and last but not least is VFM. This is the biggest problem. The admission prices now borders on the line of being too expensive and the fans can't afford to pay any more to come . This is why the gates are so low.

For the sport to move forward, we need to invent ways to reduce the costs. Unfortunate having two No1's would only make the sport more expensive and would only make the wealthiest clubs stronger.

Sorry Trees........