British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hammers66

New To Speedway. Where To Start Etc.

Hi all. Been looking at the forum for a little while now and decided to join. I just wondered where a good place to start with the whole speedway thing. I watched some videos on You Tube and would also like to watch some live races. Any pointers would be great as I am a complete newbie.

Cheers in advance.

you've been reading this forum and you STILL want to go!

• Like 6

I would go to the Grand Prix at Cardiff, buy the most expensive seat, and sit back and enjoy getting beer spilled over your manbag.

• Like 2

Hi all. Been looking at the forum for a little while now and decided to join. I just wondered where a good place to start with the whole speedway thing. I watched some videos on You Tube and would also like to watch some live races. Any pointers would be great as I am a complete newbie.

Cheers in advance.

You will receive much advice about how, where and why to enjoy your speedway. Get yourself up to Berwick and enjoy, after that anything else will be very much diminished returns. ;)

• Like 1

Cheers in advance.

Peterborough is regarded as the best track by most people but you can't go wrong with the Speedway World Cup or Cardiff.

Edited by Liam Gallagher Fan

Cheers all, I think haha. No this is not an alias just someone new to the sport that wants to find out more and doesn't mind the banter. My nearest tracks are Arena Essex and Sittingbourne but as I do not drive and work full time but will do my best to get to at least a few meetings.

Basically, I was looking for some places to get the basics of the sport. Also, the best places to watch races online and on TV.

Seriously, any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers again.

Elite League is on Sky Sports, normally on a Monday but sometimes Wednesday. Occassionally they show Premier League (second division) on a Tuesday.

Eurosport show the Grand Prix (individual World Championship) on Saturday nights, Team World Cup in July and Swedish League on Tuesdays.

Useful websites, speedwaygp.com, skysports.com/speedway and speedwaygb.co.

If you can get hold of copies of the 2006 Elite League Final, 2007 British Grand Prix, the 2013 Bydgoszcz Grand Prix and the 2004 World Cup Final, they're exciting historic meetings to watch. There are of course countless others but those 4 spring to mind to me, particularly as the last 3 all have some form of British success in them.

As a non-driver as well I can appreciate that it is difficult to get out to a variety of circuits. Arena Essex is walkable from Chafford Hundred station but the racing isn't great there, if I was trying to introduce someone to the sport I wouldn't take them there. I've heard good things about Kent's track but haven't been.

Overall I'd probably say the Grand Prix's are the best place to start watching whilst at home as it's a bit more of a spectacle and the racing is usually better (or consistently decent) than the Elite League, but you can't beat being at the track for me so I would try and get to a live meeting somewhere as well. Our round of the Grand Prix is in Cardiff on July 12th and is definitely worth a visit.

You will be baffled and confused by many things you see, but that happens to all of us still whether we've been following the sport for 3 years or 30 years. Regardless of guests, tactical rides, average manipulation, there is still a great sport in here and you'll struggle to see a better sporting spectacle than a well contested speedway race. Like any sport you'll get a few duff meetings but persist with it because there'll be some absolute crackers in there as well, and once you've stuck with it long enough you'll be able to truly appreciate some of the downright outrageous things these riders can do on a track.

• Like 2

Youtube has tons of meetings. The first two gps this season were excellent and msybe a decent place to start.

• Like 1

Massive thanks for the replies. CUFC_Brummie your reply was a great help mate. Will look those DVD's up. Yeah, I am baffled by a lot. The points, how meetings rune etc but I am sure i will get there. I plan on watching the meeting(s) that are on tonight providing they don't get rained off. Cheers again.

And buy the Speedway Star, will tell you what teams and riders are doing what, they have a website.

And buy the Speedway Star, will tell you what teams and riders are doing what, they have a website.

Thanks mate. Will look at that.