British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

I think Authur Cross must be in the know as he had been aware of this project for seven years yet the news only entered the public domain three years ago. The Aces held an event at Gorton Monastry in August 2011 where us not already in the know were given details on the project.

I think Authur Cross must be in the know as he had been aware of this project for seven years yet the news only entered the public domain three years ago. The Aces held an event at Gorton Monastry in August 2011 where us not already in the know were given details on the project.

It was first made public in early 2010 and it is well documented that they have been working on this for 7 years now.

A little research before a post can save you looking a little silly really

• Like 1

Right behind the car park. Not just noise, but disruption to the local area.

Don't forget the NIMBY's who will crawl out of the woodwork at any opportunity.

"disruption to the local area"? So people are going to complain about being disrupted by 2-3000 speedway fans turning up at a stadium that was built for and has the infrastructure to host 32,000? A few speedway crowds will be nothing like the mid-teens Coventry city used to have there. As for noise, it's a full enclosed stadium, the only gap is the hole in the roof.

It's probably not feasable. Running costs are probably too high and the fact a load of seats would need removing around the front the make a track of any reasonable size fit. But the numbers throw about in Manchester and the numbers offered to Coventry City in the last 12-18 months mean that actual rent would be cheaper at the Ricoh. The difference is in Manchester they would get catering but they'd need to sell a lot of burgers to make up the difference. But I'd also imagine you'd get a lot more people pop along to the Ricoh to "have a look" than you would get at Manchesters stadium. You could probably justify charging a £3-4 premium too as you have a seat, won't get wet if it rains, hopefully being enclosed (but admittedly with no roof) you would hopefully be shaded from some of the weather.

Edited by SCB

The point I'm making was that Arthur Cross has been watching this process for seven years and not the three oops sorry four years that the rest of us have been aware of it. He must be in the know to be aware of it years before the rest of us. The fact the Aces have been working on it for seven years only became known retrospectively with only a few like Mr Cross being in the know prior to the MEN press release.

"disruption to the local area"? So people are going to complain about being disrupted by 2-3000 speedway fans turning up at a stadium that was built for and has the infrastructure to host 32,000? A few speedway crowds will be nothing like the mid-teens Coventry city used to have there. As for noise, it's a full enclosed stadium, the only gap is the hole in the roof.

It's probably not feasable. Running costs are probably too high and the fact a load of seats would need removing around the front the make a track of any reasonable size fit. But the numbers throw about in Manchester and the numbers offered to Coventry City in the last 12-18 months mean that actual rent would be cheaper at the Ricoh. The difference is in Manchester they would get catering but they'd need to sell a lot of burgers to make up the difference. But I'd also imagine you'd get a lot more people pop along to the Ricoh to "have a look" than you would get at Manchesters stadium. You could probably justify charging a £3-4 premium too as you have a seat, won't get wet if it rains, hopefully being enclosed (but admittedly with no roof) you would hopefully be shaded from some of the weather.

"The hole in the roof", that won't be a roof as such then, will it? Noise will still emanate from it.

But I'm glad you accept that "it's probably not feasable," which means you agree with me on one point, that it isn't "on a plate" as suggested by Drop a cog.

The press release issued yesterday clearly states the project was launched in 2007.

And you're perfectly entitled to confirm such a belief.

Mind you, the opening 4 paragraphs of the forum-thread you've quoted from mid-August 2013 are as follows ...

BELLE Vue chief David Gordon has unveiled the stunning team of international business big-hitters who will play a major part in the club’s new era.

He named an awesome consortium of top British businessmen who have invested in the club’s future and the new stadium at the new Belle Vue Sports Village.

It was recently given the green light by Manchester City Council who have appointed international construction company ISG, who have a base on Salford Quays, to develop the site in Kirkmanshulme Lane, Gorton.

ISG, who built the futuristic Velodrome for last year’s London Olympics, are now pursuing planning permission and hopes are high the Aces will race into their new home in 2014.

Given we're already nearly halfway through 2014, are those hopes still high that the Aces will race into their new home this year ? !!

There's a repeated theme here ... the MEN-article from Feb-2012 targeted the 2013 World Cup for the new stadium ... then the forum-thread and press release from Aug-2013 targeted 2014 for Belle Vue racing into their new homw ... now, on the first page of this thread in Jun-2014, we had "Phil The Ace" reporting that "Diggers won't be digging until next year at earliest."

There's only so long you can credibly keep raising hopes for "next year" and then switch without any shame to another "next year" when the calendar moves on.

are you saying you don't believe this project will come to fruition

if so - just say that and bow out

if it does happen you'll just slink off and we'll probably forget what you said - if it doesn't you can trumpet 'told you so' for about 4 years

its quite a cowardly and negative stance

• Like 2

Not where I'm looking on Google maps "Streetview" there isn't. On Judds Lane there is a narrow path next to a wooden fence leading to houses (there is a white coach on the right in the car park, with houses straight ahead).

Also, don't forget, speedway would be running (weather permitting) every week, not just the every fortnight the stadium would be used for football.

All I'm saying is it's not "on a plate" as suggested by Drop a cog. I'm not saying it isn't a possibilty, but there would be a few obstacles that would have to be overcome to persuade people to allow speedway to move into the stadium.

???? There are no houses on Judds Lane - it leads to a footbridge over the railway line, to what are the nearest houses to the arena

So,, to the west there are houses across the main road and the other side of the carpark

To the east there are houses the other side of a railway line

No houses to the north (all industrial)

No houses to the south (retail park)

Immediate access to the M6 at a location not far from M6 Toll, M42, M5, M69, M1, A14 - which is precisely why, originally, it was suggested that the new National Football Stadium, to replace the old Empire Stadium at Wembley, might be constructed on this very site

Oh, and not too far from one of the locations claimed to be "the centre of England"

It has a lot going for it (including being out of regular use at the moment!) and noise nimby problems are likely to be minimal at the very most

Edit: There is also the likelihood of a railway station being built at the arena

Edited by Midland Red

The press release issued yesterday clearly states the project was launched in 2007.

Yes but we didn't know about it 'till years later. Only those involved and Arthur Cross have been in from the get go.

???? There are no houses on Judds Lane - it leads to a footbridge over the railway line, to what are the nearest houses to the arena

I said "leading to houses," not "on." They appear to be flats and are situated on Grindle Road, which is about 150/200mtrs from the stadium.

It may well be easily accessible by being close to all the Motorways you mention, but it would only take a few of those NIMBY's I mentioned earlier to kick up a fuss about the speedway being installed in the stadium, to make it a lot less "on a plate," than suggested.

are you saying you don't believe this project will come to fruition

if so - just say that and bow out

if it does happen you'll just slink off and we'll probably forget what you said - if it doesn't you can trumpet 'told you so' for about 4 years

its quite a cowardly and negative stance

On this thread as well as previous ones relating to this project, I've consistently stated that I support the idea of a National Speedway Stadium, especially if it's to be situated in a city with as much speedway heritage as Manchester.

However, I've also consistently stated I've no confidence whatsoever in the ability of Dave Gordon or Chris Morton to oversee this project's development or be involved heavily in its successful operation should it ever be built.

You may think that's a "cowardly and negative stance" ... I reckon it's a realistic view of where the project's reached (or more often, not reached) so far along with information I've weighed up from various angles.

We'll gradually find out who's right and who's wrong ... what's more, I won't be afraid to congratulate everyone if it turns out we're enjoying an English Grand Prix or a World Cup Final at this stadium in a few years' time.

Right now, and based overwhelmingly on the evidence I've seen so far, I don't expect to be making such congratulations.

Edited by arthur cross

I said "leading to houses," not "on." They appear to be flats and are situated on Grindle Road, which is about 150/200mtrs from the stadium.

It may well be easily accessible by being close to all the Motorways you mention, but it would only take a few of those NIMBY's I mentioned earlier to kick up a fuss about the speedway being installed in the stadium, to make it a lot less "on a plate," than suggested.

They overlook the railway, on which 16 freight trains will have passed by within the last 24 hours - that's 16 in a day, as opposed to 15 heats (23 in a GP) per week for 7 months in a year

They haven't closed down the railway!!!

So,, to the west there are houses across the main road and the other side of the carpark

To the east there are houses the other side of a railway line

No houses to the north (all industrial)

No houses to the south (retail park)

Immediate access to the M6 at a location not far from M6 Toll, M42, M5, M69, M1, A14 - which is precisely why, originally, it was suggested that the new National Football Stadium, to replace the old Empire Stadium at Wembley, might be constructed on this very site

Oh, and not too far from one of the locations claimed to be "the centre of England"

It has a lot going for it (including being out of regular use at the moment!) and noise nimby problems are likely to be minimal at the very most

Edit: There is also the likelihood of a railway station being built at the arena

It only takes 'one' - look at Mildenhall. :sad: :sad: :sad:

• Like 1

On this thread as well as previous ones relating to this project, I've consistently stated that I support the idea of a National Speedway Stadium, especially if it's to be situated in a city with as much speedway heritage as Manchester.

However, I've also consistently stated I've no confidence whatsoever in the ability of Dave Gordon or Chris Morton to oversee this project's development or be involved heavily in its successful operation should it ever be built.

You may think that's a "cowardly and negative stance" ... I reckon it's a realistic view of where the project's reached (or more often, not reached) so far along with information I've weighed up from various angles.

We'll gradually find out who's right and who's wrong ... what's more, I won't be afraid to congratulate everyone if it turns out we're enjoying an English Grand Prix or a World Cup Final at this stadium in a few years' time.

Right now, and based overwhelmingly on the evidence I've seen so far, I don't expect to be making such congratulations.

fair enough

They overlook the railway, on which 16 freight trains will have passed by within the last 24 hours - that's 16 in a day, as opposed to 15 heats (23 in a GP) per week for 7 months in a year

They haven't closed down the railway!!!

No. But those who moved in since 2012 will have been well aware of the railway track and the empty football stadium (with the possibility of the return of football). The additional 15 heats of speedway and the announcements over the P.A. system would be in addition to what they would have expected when they moved in.

Very similar to those who have moved into the houses at Armadale. They would have been aware of the speedway track outside their front door, when they moved in, so they have no complaints, whereas those near to the Ricoh could have complaints, as it wasn't used as a speedway venue when they moved in.

• Like 1