British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

I proper shaped race track owned by speedway people has got a much better chance than most. Look what Buster has done at Kings Lynn...

But Buster hasn't got to find £5000 a week rent !!

No. He just has to maintain the stadium and pay all the associated costs.

But Buster hasn't got to find £5000 a week rent !!

We pay nearly 3-4k rent now. Not much difference considering the extra income they will be getting

Edited by Phil The Ace

Phil the Ace, i'm led to believe that the rent is 52 weeks of the year. Could you confirm that ? Really hope the Aces management can make it pay. Still fondly remember my trips to Hyde Road.

YOU might just as well argue that the stadiums in Gorzow and Torun are no match for Old Trafford and the Etihad.

Cannot compare the standing of speedway in any British city with speedway in towns like Gorzow and Torun where it is the major sporting attraction and more akin to soccer as we know it.

Good to see the Belle Vue management prominent at Torun this weekend on probably another fact finding mission .Was only sitting 6 seats away from messrs Gordon and Morton,although we had a wrought iron fence between,as close as the VIP as I'm likely to get unfortunately.They were tucking into the popcorn,probably testing out a local supplier.

Edited by New Science

Phil the Ace, i'm led to believe that the rent is 52 weeks of the year. Could you confirm that ? Really hope the Aces management can make it pay. Still fondly remember my trips to Hyde Road.

That is something you will have to ask management

I hope you fill the place every week mate and are able to use the venue for concerts and anything else that comes to mind.

No speedway fan want's this to fail and even though I don't go anymore I am a speedway fan.

It seems like people can't discuss this if they bring up all the inconvenient points that speedway is a sport that is dying and not prospering.

Sorry to dent your rosy outlook but have seen many venues fold in my time and many struggle.

I hope BV have a great team and a stadium full of fans but the reality is likely to be different.

It's a lot of risk and a lot of debt for BV.

I wish them well.

If you dont go to speedway anymore why should any of this concern you ?I would think you are one of those so called fans that does not put any money into the sport by attending meetings but are happy to watch it on t v and then moan on that the sport is dying.Its so called stay away fans like yourself that is the main cause of that so put some money back into speedway or move on to another interest.

Edited by B.V 72

If you dont go to speedway anymore why should any of this concern you ?I would think you are one of those so called fans that does not put any money into the sport by attending meetings but are happy to watch it on t v and then moan on that the sport is dying.Its so called stay away fans like yourself that is the main cause of that so put some money back into speedway or move on to another interest.

I don't agree with that B.V. 72.

I have stopped going purely and simply because of the Rules of Speedway these days.

Double Points, Play Offs etc. are not for me. I still love the actual Sport though.

I have also been a big and consistent supporter of Belle Vue's new Stadium. I will, I hope, get the chance to attend one Meeting there at some stage.

• Like 1

Some of us by virtue of having health issues, financial constraints, distance from nearest track and transport difficulties find attending meetings impossible. That does not stop us being fans...in my case for 54 years, or having valid views and concerns. There are stay-away fans that do so out of choice and those that stay away out of necessity. Are you saying that because I can't get to meetings nothing that happens within the sport should concern me?.

• Like 3

Or maybe people like pandorum are the people that promoters should be trying to tempt back and keep happy?

You're on a hiding to nothing if you totally ignore the views of people who don't actually attend in person....if you don't you are just preaching to the converted and the problem is that the converted are becoming less and less each year...

The sport should be looking as to why crowds are declining..looking as why previous diehards have stopped coming and not just dismiss their views...all this as well as actually trying to attract new younger fans as well....

There are hundreds and thousands of ex speedway fans out there,many ex Belle Vue fans and their views shouldn't be dismissed as counting for nothing..they stopped coming for reasons

If Belle Vue get this right they can attract many old fans back out purely of interest and curiosity and if the track is good and the product is good and speedway gets its house in order format wise then many might stay...it's a big chance, certainly for Belle Vue......one they wouldn't get at Kirky Lane......but it also needs speedway to get its act together around the country as well.

• Like 2

I don't have to justify myself to you but as you are obviously an idiot I will attempt to.

I don't go as I no longer have a team and travelling to watch another is too expensive and not good value for money as I prefer to travel the world and watch rock gigs.

I have spent a lot on the sport and have travelled to over 50 tracks watching my own team and even matches with just a rider I liked.

Too expensive to do that nowadays and I would rather visit all 50 US states (20 to go) than spend any more

money on the sport.

I prefer armchair speedway nowadays it is true but I am as just as much a speedway fan as you. The state of the sport concerns me as I would love it to be what it was 40 years ago. A new stadium is fine and I do wish BV well but the sports problems are many and this won't solve those problems.

I thought as a speedway fan I had as much right to put my opinions as any but now find it is the elite that have a track who are allowed a voice and not us that no longer have a track.

Sad that as I have spent a lot on this sport and been a fan since I was a kid.

Or maybe people like pandorum are the people that promoters should be trying to tempt back and keep happy?

No chance of that really SCB as I don't believe the sport can compete with SE Asia or America of Iron Maiden or Ghost.

Got too many places to visit next year and too many bands to see :)

Sad though that people like TWK have fallen out of love with the sport. I had a lot of good times at his old track in the days of Mad Jack and Russ Dent.

The sport is going headlong for oblivion as far as I can see and a National Stadium may well not be the answer many think it will be.

I hope the sport survives but since when I started watching the sport has lost over 30 teams.

That is not a healthy sport :(

Those in charge seem to spend too much time p#ssing off those who go let alone attracting back those who don't.

There are some really good ideas running around this forum yet they think of us as the enemy.

So I will continue to enjoy foreign matches and GPs on the computer.

I do wish the sport well here but fear for it as it seems as if it actually wants to go the way of the Dodo.

This PO farce simply one of many this year alone.

sad really

• Like 4

Fair point to all who for whatever reason they cannot get to a speedway meeting anymore.Its the people that can and have stopped going and keep harping on about the problems the sport has as a reason and then still watch it on t v that p me off.So if they are still watching it their reasons for not going anymore kinda goes out of the window.So for me if they can put speedways problems out of their minds while watching it on tv why cant they do the same and support our sport and pay to see it live.

Yes i agree the sport has major problems and it is a long way from what it was.But i keep going because i love the sport and want it to survive and on the day of the meeting i forget all its problems and just enjoy it for what it is 4 very brave and very talented guys racing motorbikes for my enjoyment the same as it has always been.

Fair point to all who for whatever reason they cannot get to a speedway meeting anymore.Its the people that can and have stopped going and keep harping on about the problems the sport has as a reason and then still watch it on t v that p me off.So if they are still watching it their reasons for not going anymore kinda goes out of the window.So for me if they can put speedways problems out of their minds while watching it on tv why cant they do the same and support our sport and pay to see it live.

Yes i agree the sport has major problems and it is a long way from what it was.But i keep going because i love the sport and want it to survive and on the day of the meeting i forget all its problems and just enjoy it for what it is 4 very brave and very talented guys racing motorbikes for my enjoyment the same as it has always been.

That would be me then B.V72.

I stopped going on principle. I neither like nor enjoy the Double Points, or the Play Offs. I believe they are cheating, both of them. As a matter of principle I will not pay to see what I consider to be cheating, both to the Sport AND perhaps more importantly the paying Public.

I tried for a number of years to 'put up' with it, but I was just getting very angry and very upset. I finally decided enough was enough - I would watch it on Television - then I can just switch it off if I so require.

I do realise that I will probably be pilloried for this - but that is why I do not, and will not go. Remove those Rules and I would definitely return but I can't expect the Rules to change just for me and a few others.

My main argument still stands - the new Rules have not improved the Sport in any way - just ruined it for some. Speedway, sadly, is still losing Support - I see no improvement in the future.

As for your comment about people like me harping on - the only reason I do so is because I care for my Sport.