British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LagutaRacingFan

Coventry Bees Vs Belle Vue Aces - 13/06/14

The track may not have produced the best racing last night but it's clearly far ahead of where it was earlier in the season, there was dirt flying at me on turn 2 instead of dust for a start! I doubt you would have seen Nicholls in the form he was last night if the track was as it was with the previous track man. I missed the Birmingham home meeting but the last 2 home meetings have felt far more like the Coventry race night of old, a big thanks to Colin Pratt and all involved for making that track preparation change happen.

As for the meeting, credit to Belle Vue, with the form of Nicholls and King they had me worried when I saw they'd have at least one of them in most of the races after their tactical ride triumph, thankfully King seemed to hit bike trouble and went all Gollob like with swapping them around in the second half of the meeting and we closed out an important win. Thought Palm Toft gave it a good go for the Aces, they must be happy with his contribution this year, really getting stuck in and getting some decent points from a tough position.

For the Bees it was nice to see Andersen leading from the front, does anyone know why he wasn't picked for heat 15? Thought it would be Bomber to make way with the GP tonight. Garrity was just awesome again, what a trump card we have there!

Was impressed with MJJ, had some tough heats to start with and understandably took a bit of time to weigh up the track and the racing lines. Most importantly for me was that he looked to be putting it on the line and giving it his all, if he carries on doing that I'm sure even better scores will come his way.

Agree that the atmosphere and presentation was good last night too, just hope the playing of Carly Rae Jepsen doesn't put MJJ off winning more races! It's the obvious choice of jingle for him though.

• Like 2

The track may not have produced the best racing last night but it's clearly far ahead of where it was earlier in the season, there was dirt flying at me on turn 2 instead of dust for a start! I doubt you would have seen Nicholls in the form he was last night if the track was as it was with the previous track man. I missed the Birmingham home meeting but the last 2 home meetings have felt far more like the Coventry race night of old, a big thanks to Colin Pratt and all involved for making that track preparation change happen. As for the meeting, credit to Belle Vue, with the form of Nicholls and King they had me worried when I saw they'd have at least one of them in most of the races after their tactical ride triumph, thankfully King seemed to hit bike trouble and went all Gollob like with swapping them around in the second half of the meeting and we closed out an important win. Thought Palm Toft gave it a good go for the Aces, they must be happy with his contribution this year, really getting stuck in and getting some decent points from a tough position. For the Bees it was nice to see Andersen leading from the front, does anyone know why he wasn't picked for heat 15? Thought it would be Bomber to make way with the GP tonight. Garrity was just awesome again, what a trump card we have there! Was impressed with MJJ, had some tough heats to start with and understandably took a bit of time to weigh up the track and the racing lines. Most importantly for me was that he looked to be putting it on the line and giving it his all, if he carries on doing that I'm sure even better scores will come his way. Agree that the atmosphere and presentation was good last night too, just hope the playing of Carly Rae Jepsen doesn't put MJJ off winning more races! It's the obvious choice of jingle for him though.

Extract from official PR:

“Hans would have picked himself for Heat 15 having only dropped one point but he said he’d sit it out as we’d already won the meeting to give someone else a chance, and you can see straight away that Michael can ride a bike – hopefully he’s going to be a really valuable asset for us.

• Like 2

It says a lot about the quality of racing these days that this thread is mostly about rulebook technicalities and helmets touching tapes, yes there was 1 marginally good race but this was over after a lap really. The sport ain't what it used to be!

On a positive note, good to see Nicholls looking the most competitive he has done in years, must have bought a rocket for the British Final!

Maybe the Coventry/speedway public should be a little more demanding.How long has Brandon been running,how long has this season been going and still the track is not what it should be.A meeting with little passing gets the thumbs up because its an improvement on the ploughed field that started the season.With luck it may get up to standard before the season finishes/stadium closes.Hell this is the entertainment business its not free to get in its £17,fans should be demanding greater value for their money !

I thought the track was more than ok, very close racing and good to see riders having the respect to give each other racing room. I think you see it more these days where a rider behind tries to make the rider in front make a mistake rather than pass them. Happy that the reserves who fell are ok, Nasty crash.

Belle Vue looked out of it early on and the tactical really kept them in it but the result was never in doubt. Danny king was a good guest legal or not and I don't think an ex bees rider is better received than Scott Nicholls, showed he still has it with some hard racing and never give up when behind.

Bees are looking really good, bomber may suffer with MJJ in the team as my only concern is yeah we have a team of racers but they all like this outside line, there are going to be times when they get in each others way but its a good problem to have as the only weak link is number 7 but after a few Knocks its going to take time and I really like his attitude.

All in all much better and I am a happy supporter who got value alone in heat 13. Time to get some momentum up and top 4 here we come.

Edited by Coventry_Bee
  • Like 5

Neil Watson - normally I hate getting involved in regulations arguments but I'd like to see the Danny King guesting for Craig Cook explained please?

Just imagine if the Bees miss the play-offs because another team has a better For / Against points total after 36 completed meetings?!?

Here's the rules:-

FACILITIES

a: Absent Rider (1 5) G or ARR

b: No Facility for Absent 1-5 PL G (PL MA of 6.00 or less)

c: Absent #6 or #7 G (FTDP Rider only)

If a Replacement PL Rider also has a current EL MA then the higher of the MAs will dictate the eligibility

In the ammendment made on the 23rd April 2014 it also states:- SR17.6 - The Facility to replace a Doubling-Up Rider is : PL guest or RR only.

Now, I'm being told Danny King's PL average ISN'T an established average. If that's the case should he be allowed to guest for a D/U rider who's only allowed a PL guest? Of course not it's against the rules

Even using the averages from both leagues;:-

Danny King EL 6.73 PL 11.18

Craig Cook EL 7.32 PL 10.70

The rule states that the highest MA is to be used for guest appearances. Danny's PL Is higher, again, illegal guest

Remember, King's 12 points could make the difference between Bees making top 4 our not due to for / against differences.

I couldn't let it go if I was involved within a club. Surely the question has to be asked to the BSPA / SCB???

Edited by screamer
  • Like 2

The track wasn`t perfect but compared to the Poole track its as smoth as a babys bottom.

• Like 2

Neil Watson - normally I hate getting involved in regulations arguments but I'd like to see the Danny King guesting for Craig Cook explained please?

Just imagine if the Bees miss the play-offs because another team has a better For / Against points total after 36 completed meetings?!?

Here's the rules:-

FACILITIES

a: Absent Rider (1 5) G or ARR

b: No Facility for Absent 1-5 PL G (PL MA of 6.00 or less)

c: Absent #6 or #7 G (FTDP Rider only)

If a Replacement PL Rider also has a current EL MA then the higher of the MAs will dictate the eligibility

In the ammendment made on the 23rd April 2014 it also states:- SR17.6 - The Facility to replace a Doubling-Up Rider is : PL guest or RR only.

Now, I'm being told Danny King's PL average ISN'T an established average. If that's the case should he be allowed to guest for a D/U rider who's only allowed a PL guest? Of course not it's against the rules

Even using the averages from both leagues;:-

Danny King EL 6.73 PL 11.18

Craig Cook EL 7.32 PL 10.70

The rule states that the highest MA is to be used for guest appearances. Danny's PL Is higher, again, illegal guest

Remember, King's 12 points could make the difference between Bees making top 4 our not due to for / against differences.

I couldn't let it go if I was involved within a club. Surely the question has to be asked to the BSPA / SCB???

Agreed - please Mr Watson, your answer please!

Can't believe the Bees management are missing this guest out. I can't help but laugh haha. The F/A points could be vital if the Bees are tied on 48 points with a team like Eastbourne.

• Like 1

The track wasn`t perfect but compared to the Poole track its as smoth as a babys bottom.

Sounds like a race to the bottom ! Our track isn't good but theirs is worse.

Sounds like a race to the bottom ! Our track isn't good but theirs is worse.

Look at Mallila tonight,it is actually possible to prepare a good track surface.

Whats so hard to grasp? Kings EL average is the same as his PL average converted (as his PL average is actually a converted EL average) of about 6.8. So his highest average is 6.8. Thats lower than Cooks average of about 7.3

Whats so hard to grasp? Kings EL average is the same as his PL average converted (as his PL average is actually a converted EL average) of about 6.8. So his highest average is 6.8. Thats lower than Cooks average of about 7.3

The bit that's hard to grasp is that King doesn't have an established PL average and seeing as Cook can only have a PL guest there lies the issue. Effectively King has guested as an EL only rider

• Like 2

Maybe the Coventry/speedway public should be a little more demanding.How long has Brandon been running,how long has this season been going and still the track is not what it should be.A meeting with little passing gets the thumbs up because its an improvement on the ploughed field that started the season.

Ploughed field? The track when the Pole was doing it was like concrete and ultra slick. It will probably take a while for Colin to sort it out and it can't help having Stock Cars every other week but at least it's improving.

Look at Mallila tonight,it is actually possible to prepare a good track surface.

Yes it was well prepared but what a brilliant shape the track is so that's half the battle towards getting good racing. If only Leicester had a track like that instead of how it was designed with long narrow straights and tight bends. :neutral: I'd be there every week.

• Like 1

The bit that's hard to grasp is that King doesn't have an established PL average and seeing as Cook can only have a PL guest there lies the issue. Effectively King has guested as an EL only rider

"If a Replacement PL Rider also has a current EL MA then the higher of the MA’s will dictate the eligibility"

So you use the highest average.

Cooks PL average is about 10.5 that converts to about 6.3 but his EL average is 7.2. So Cooks highest average is 7.2.

Kings PL average is about 11.3 that converts to about 6.8 but his EL average is 6.8. So Kings highest average is 6.8.

6.8 is less than 7.2

edit > Also, can someone point out the rule that says a double upper can only be replaced by a PL rider?

Edited by SCB

"If a Replacement PL Rider also has a current EL MA then the higher of the MAs will dictate the eligibility"

So you use the highest average.

Cooks PL average is about 10.5 that converts to about 6.3 but his EL average is 7.2. So Cooks highest average is 7.2.

Kings PL average is about 11.3 that converts to about 6.8 but his EL average is 6.8. So Kings highest average is 6.8.

6.8 is less than 7.2

edit > Also, can someone point out the rule that says a double upper can only be replaced by a PL rider?

In the ammendment made on the 23rd April 2014 it also states:-

SR17.6 - The Facility to replace a Doubling-Up Rider is : PL guest or RR only.

Irrelevant. The rule state's the highest MA is to be taken. No mention as to whether it's a converted MA or not. Danny King's PL MA is higher than Craig Cook's - illegal

+ guests for Craig Cook can only be PL rider's or DU's so King's PL average has to be considered. If not, Danny King's appearance is still illegal which ever way you'd like to dress it up :lol:

Well take the league points off us then for tonight