British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LagutaRacingFan

Coventry Bees Vs Belle Vue Aces - 13/06/14

Good atmosphere tonight best for quite some time. Good meeting and a good result. First meeting this season that contained all of those things at Coventry in my opinion. Really enjoyed it. More Please. All riders seemed to create that with their performances and by coming round after races to acknowledge the fans. Keep it up.

• Like 5

One of the best team spirits we have had.

Also great to see how much riding for the bees means to the riders we have.

It says a lot about the quality of racing these days that this thread is mostly about rulebook technicalities and helmets touching tapes, yes there was 1 marginally good race but this was over after a lap really. The sport ain't what it used to be!

On a positive note, good to see Nicholls looking the most competitive he has done in years, must have bought a rocket for the British Final!

• Like 1

Haven't been to Brandon for a while, but enjoyed this match. They've even brought back the Flight of the Bumblebee and the marching music for the entrance of the track staff! Track looked good, great to see Pratty back.

Good win for the Bees, showed great character to nail the match in heats 11, 12 and 13 after BV snuck up on them thanks to the ludicrous jeux sans frontieres golden double.

I think Anderson's heat 13 was amongst the best first turns I've seen, rivalling the great Hans Nielsen (remember him?).

However, it's a bit worrying that King and Nicholls found a great outside line, at least a second faster than the Bees top order could manage. It was weird to see Harris hugging the kerb in second place while the opposition rode out near the fence and left him behind. They'll need to get their set-ups sorted and re-learn that line if they want to beat the top teams (Poole next week).

And what about King's rolling starts - at least three, and the ref brought him back only once. Also the start marshal could have been firmer. In heat 15, he had a half-hearted attempt at bringing King right up to the tapes, but King just ignored him, so he let it go.

Some of the comments on Jensen seem a bit lukewarm, but I thought it was a superb debut - he would have scored more but for King's rolling starts.

• Like 5

Yes was surprised by how much rolling King did and jumping the starts. Even some lovely Belle Vue fans sat near us kept commenting on it.

Thought MJJ had a great start. He Hasn't been to Brandon for couple of years & track changed abut since then. He won a race on debut and never got any 0s. Was up against Scott who knows our track inside out.

Rob Lee - good points about the riding lines. I too was disappointed to see the top Bees racers riding the inside line. Hansen can probably be excused as he was riding in considerable pain and didn't look comfortable all night, but let's hope we see Harris and Jensen perfecting the wide line in the coming weeks as King and Nichols were last night.

It's never good racing when The Aces are in town. We can't gate and clubs know this. Nowadays it's more about getting the win than an entertaining 60 seconds, shame.

King was the best choice of guest from the option we were given. He must be ok as I can't see the authorities sailing us down the river.

Coventry have said they didn't see a problem with King guesting. They are happy with that still so can't see any action being taken by them.

Then again it wasn't anybody at cov commenting on it

Another very enjoyable night. Presentation has greatly improved over the past few weeks.

However, the track is, if I'm brutally honest, still a bit 'gate and go' as I said the other week after the Wolverhampton Meeting. Anyone trying the outside line on the fourth bend looks particularly uncomfortable - shame as it's clearly got a very fast racing line out there somewhere to propel you along the home straight.

Still can't make our why your track flaggers don't rake some material back in between races?

• Like 3

Still can't make our why your track flaggers don't rake some material back in between races?

They would want extra biscuits and two cups of tea in the interval if they had to take on double duties. :lol: Seriously though how many tracks these days have rakers? I seem to recall from last season that Peterborough do so that's one.

We still have 'rakers' off top of my head, its around 5-6 people that do it.

At Swindon they did stop the raking but have now resumed doing it.

They would want extra biscuits and two cups of tea in the interval if they had to take on double duties. :lol: Seriously though how many tracks these days have rakers? I seem to recall from last season that Peterborough do so that's one.

Poole, that's two

thought it was not a bad night, i am getting fed up with Daniel "how many times can i get away with jumping the start" King

every dam heat!

except for some reason the rules don't apply in heat 15 when all the points have been sorted.

new signing looked better with every race

• Like 2

Lakeside definitely have rakers.

You can't tell from the terraces, but even on today's tracks, the amount of shale that you pull back in is quite significant. Moreover, with a rake (and elbow grease) it's a whole lot more effective than what the tractor, going at quite some speed, can pull back in with a blade. Plus, a tractor can't go right to the edge of the bends (where most shale accumulates) as they'd potentially puncture the airbag, and/or tear the rubber flaps holding them to the tracks' surface.

I've seen first hand the damage that stocks & bangers can do to a track. Tyreless wheels, dropped diffs, etc. can cause deep gourges. This appears to be the problem on Brandon's 2nd and 4th bends - I'd love to take a look. If it is the case, then I can't blame riders not going wide. Any sudden jolt can obviously cause loss of control, the primary chain to loosen/snap and so on.

I can't understand, with Pratty back at the helm, why the Cov boys don't at least give it a go? Sometimes, the old ways are the best! ;)