Scunthorpe Stags 28

1. Steve Jones, 2,0,2,1=5

2. Aaron Mogridge, fx,2,1+,f^=3+1

3. Danno Verge, 1,1,1,2=5

4. Ryan MacDonald,fx,0,0,f=0

5. Sam Chapman, 2,1,4^,3=10

6. Jack Hall, 2,1+,f,fx=3+1

7. Reece Downes,f,0,2,n=2

This match was more competitive than I anticipated, particularly after the decent effort the Demons had put in against Cradley (some of the points that appear gifted looking at the Cradley scorechart were well won on track before the Cradley riders fell - eg heat 9 where Shanes easily had the beating of Starke and Perry)

For Devon, James Shanes' poor gating proved less of a handicap than in the Cradley match and his comfortable maximum included the matches two fastest times. He also passed Mogridge (on a TR) to win heat 11 from the back.

Stags riders led both the first two races. Aaron Mogridge (a real chip off the old block) was competetive and would be a great asset to any side once he gains the knack of staying on for four laps. Reece Downes led heat 2 before taking a nasty fall that affected his competitiveness for the rest of the match. However it was Sam Chapman who finally provided the Stags with a race winner, a fast starter he looked much better than the last time I saw him.

Jack Hall (a completely new name to me) and Danno Verge also gave it their all and both provided opposition for the Devon tailenders. Verge was a victim of one of the worst refereeing decisions I've seen for years. Verge held off Danny Stoneman for three hard fought laps when Ryan MacDonald fell at the back and the race was stopped. The race result: Shanes, Stoneman, Verge!!!

Had that race been awarded correctly Scunny would have opened up the match with five heats without conceding a 5-1. Despite their continued beatings team spirit seems good and I hope their brave project succeeds.

• Like 2

I agree with you about the Verge decision, on two counts, the first one, it should have been stopped earler, because Shanes was right on top of the lad before the referee stopped it, and two Danno Verge was still infront of Danny Stoneman when it was stopped by the referee, by about two to three bike lengths, I think the problem with Mogridge, and he is a good rider, is he gets out infront for about two and a bit laps, then makes mistakes allowing the riders behind to pass him, but the two Scunthorpe riders that impressed me was Danno Verge and Sam Chapman, both looked very easy on the track, because it can take riders a few heats to work it out at the SBA, and I just think the two lads need track time, like most of the young riders like them do.