British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Whilst you may well be correct, the announcement doesn't actually say that!!!!

Apologies, you are correct. I read the last sentence wrong. Any small hope is great news.

Talks planned in bid to keep Brummies going

Jul 04, 2014 10:53

By Nigel Pearson

British Speedway bosses have taken over control of Birmingham – and the Alan Phillips regime is officially over.

The Speedway Control Bureau have informed Phillips, along with co-promoter son Charles, that the promoting company has been annulled and under the sport’s rules the British Speedway Promoters’ Association will now be responsible for the administration and arbitration of all matters concerning the club.

It also means the Phillips duo will never be allowed to take charge of a club again because the level of debt the Brummies suffered is in excess of the bond held by the association.

British Speedway chairman Alex Harkess has, however, moved to assure Brummies fans that everything possible will be done to see the club through to the end of the season at least.

A group of supporters have already clubbed together to raise £5,000 to go towards the Perry Barr landlords in order to enable the sport to resume at the venue.

“I can confirm the SCB, at the request of the recommendation of the BSPA, have put into action the annulment of the current Birmingham Speedway promotion,’’ said Harkess.

“However, I can only repeat what has already been said: we will do everything within our power to ensure the sport continues at what is a fine venue. I cannot comment any further at this stage.”

I understand one interested party has already made contact with the BSPA in a bid to thrash out a deal to see the Brummies through to fulfil their fixtures.

A meeting is due to take place within the next few days with representatives of the GRA, who own Perry Barr Stadium, to establish whether there is a way forward for the sport this season.

Meanwhile, all the indications are that former owner Tony Mole could be interested in taking the club back on during the winter with a view to Premier League racing – which suggests all is not lost.

BSPA bosses, including chairman Harkess and vice-chairman Jon Cook, have been in regular discussion to try to find a way forward to keep the Brummies on track. Next week is crucial to these talks.

Talks planned in bid to keep Brummies going

Jul 04, 2014 10:53

By Nigel Pearson

British Speedway bosses have taken over control of Birmingham – and the Alan Phillips regime is officially over.

The Speedway Control Bureau have informed Phillips, along with co-promoter son Charles, that the promoting company has been annulled and under the sport’s rules the British Speedway Promoters’ Association will now be responsible for the administration and arbitration of all matters concerning the club.

It also means the Phillips duo will never be allowed to take charge of a club again because the level of debt the Brummies suffered is in excess of the bond held by the association.

British Speedway chairman Alex Harkess has, however, moved to assure Brummies fans that everything possible will be done to see the club through to the end of the season at least.

A group of supporters have already clubbed together to raise £5,000 to go towards the Perry Barr landlords in order to enable the sport to resume at the venue.

“I can confirm the SCB, at the request of the recommendation of the BSPA, have put into action the annulment of the current Birmingham Speedway promotion,’’ said Harkess.

“However, I can only repeat what has already been said: we will do everything within our power to ensure the sport continues at what is a fine venue. I cannot comment any further at this stage.”

I understand one interested party has already made contact with the BSPA in a bid to thrash out a deal to see the Brummies through to fulfil their fixtures.

A meeting is due to take place within the next few days with representatives of the GRA, who own Perry Barr Stadium, to establish whether there is a way forward for the sport this season.

Meanwhile, all the indications are that former owner Tony Mole could be interested in taking the club back on during the winter with a view to Premier League racing – which suggests all is not lost.

BSPA bosses, including chairman Harkess and vice-chairman Jon Cook, have been in regular discussion to try to find a way forward to keep the Brummies on track. Next week is crucial to these talks.

This has all the potential to become a real tangled mess. When/if the Phillips owned promoting company goes into liquidation the assets will become the jurisdiction of the liquidators to dispose of, whatever the BSPA might say

• Like 1

Please don't take the P out of me but what does annulled mean?

`to make or declare void or null; invalidate`

• Like 1

Says in todays Expess & Star "Birmingham have been removed from the Elite league and its records expunged for this season.But it is hoped speedway can continue at Perry Barr this season in some format"

Lets hope that even a few open meetings then can carry on the continuity,untill perhaps something is sorted out in the close season.Suppose that decision is now in the hands of the landlords.

How this affect the league table?.

How this affect the league table?.

In short, if Birmingham's results disappear, not a great deal !!

I did a "with and without" table plenty of pages ago on this thread ... the main headline was that Swindon haven't completed any meetings against the Brummies (both the ones they started were washed-out no-results) so the teams in the few places above the Robins are all dragged much closer within their reach.

Leicester haven't met the Brummies at all while I'm fairly certain King's Lynn can afford to lose the 10-points from their 3 wins over Birmingham without being scared of losing top-seed for the play-offs.

The full deductions from any expunging of the Brummies would be ...

Wolves 2-meetings 4-points ... Eastbourne 2-m 3-p ... Lakeside 2-m 7-p ... Coventry 2-m 3-p ... King's Lynn 3-m 10-p ... Poole 2-m 5-p ... Belle Vue 3-m 6-p

Edited by arthur cross

Of course, the riders (home and away) in the anulled matches would have their rolling averages adjusted as well.

But is it the case the club has been withdrawn from the Elite League as yet? What the Express & Star reports today doesn't quite tally with the BSPA statement, does it?

The biggest crime these Promoters are guilty of is the fact that they haven't paid their riders for some time. Treated like a boys toy the club is in debt to the riders who not only have massive expenses to meet and wages to be earned but risk life and limb in the process which is shameful

Quite why Birmingham chose to move "up" to the "Elite" league i really don't know

I hope for all the Brummies fans and riders sake that the cub is saved and returns to the league that is viable next year.

I agree it the Express and Star makes that comment it doesn't accord with the BSPA's statement. Perhaps E&S have jumped the gun, there may be a possibility somewhere in all this mess. I remember reading Mr Philips moan in the programme about people not taking the offer to join his save the Club. How many people would want to risk their garden earned cash in a sinking ship that was continuously in the press, Speedway Star and his own programmes.

This has all the potential to become a real tangled mess. When/if the Phillips owned promoting company goes into liquidation the assets will become the jurisdiction of the liquidators to dispose of, whatever the BSPA might say

MIGHT raise the old chestnut of whether riders can be deemed as assets...

• Like 1

The biggest crime these Promoters are guilty of is the fact that they haven't paid their riders for some time. Treated like a boys toy the club is in debt to the riders who not only have massive expenses to meet and wages to be earned but risk life and limb in the process which is shameful

Quite why Birmingham chose to move "up" to the "Elite" league i really don't know

I hope for all the Brummies fans and riders sake that the cub is saved and returns to the league that is viable next year.

This is the bit that annoys me the most! From what I can see, I haven't seen any mention of it from them either, which is professional in some part. Personally I'd have refused to ride and told them where to go! WILL, they get what they're owed, how far down the pecking order do they come? :nono:

This is the bit that annoys me the most! From what I can see, I haven't seen any mention of it from them either, which is professional in some part. Personally I'd have refused to ride and told them where to go! WILL, they get what they're owed, how far down the pecking order do they come? :nono:

As they are not employees, just sub contractors they will just be another creditor who will not get paid. Maybe a few years down the line there could be the odd penny in the pound

Edited by Oldace
  • Like 2

As they are not employees, just sub contractors they will just be another creditor who will not get paid.

Oh dear! I suggest Mr Phillips puts that £25,000 grand to good use then. If it even exists of course :rolleyes:

• Like 1

MIGHT raise the old chestnut of whether riders can be deemed as assets...

Is it not the case that any assets of Birmingham, now become assets of the BSPA?